Changing radius on a Strat neck..Luthiers question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Dylan61, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

My Custom '56 is the best sounding Strat I have,

and it would be realy perfect if I could get my Barre's better on the 7.25 neck..

Could it be a option to sand the frets to a 9.25 or '10 radius.

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

That's asking too much from the frets themselves, you wouldn't have any frets left. Removing the frets and sanding the fretboard would be the way to go, then install fresh frets. It's true you could level the frets and move it in that direction but don't think you'll be happy with the results. The bigger the frets, the more you have to work with, but you'll have to remove a lot of material to do it that way.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Rosewood's right. It'll be easier to find a different neck with a similar profile and flatter radius than it would be to change the neck you have.

Re-radiusing is a lot of work - probably cost you $300-$400 to have a neck refretted and re-radiused to that extent. For that money, you could buy a really nice aftermarket neck, have you tech install it and set it up ... and have enough left over to go out for a nice meal too.

Good Luck, Dana O.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's funny, because i always thought that the tighter radius made barre chords easier, at the expense of wide bends with low action. could your problem be something else, like string height (set-up) or the size of the frets themselves? small vintage frets can make barre chords harder, irrespective of actual radius.

5. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Might not even be a 7.25 all the way across. Some of those suckers have something like a 5-6" radius on the outer 3/8" edge of the board. And it includes brand new necks. It's like guys at the factory have a huge misunderstanding as to what proper "rolled edges" are all about. They get carried away with it.
    Re-radius on a maple Fender, means fret-board refinish, which means amber tint matching.

6. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

That is exactly the case !,

if I look carefull what my Barre finger do, I have to make a extra 'push' to get the E and d flat on the frets.