Changing reverb length in Fender amps

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rotten, May 21, 2015.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Is it just a matter of swapping out tanks. I have a larger amp with a long reverb and I am looking to make it shorter.

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Are you looking to just shorten the tail of the reverb? You may want to add a dwell control for that if your amp doesn't already have one. That controls how much force is applied to the strings and thus how long they vibrate. The normal reverb control just controls how much of the reverb signal is fed back into the amp. Of course, shorter tanks also tend to have less reverb, but they'll also change the way the reverb sounds. That may or may not be something you like. One thing to keep in mind, however, is you can't just swap your tank out with any old reverb tank out there. You have to match the impedance on both the input and output and the grounding scheme.

3. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

As noted above you need to make sure that any replacement tank matches the i/o impedance of the old tank. But yes, Fender tanks are typically all "long" decay and you can swap it for a tank with short or medium decay time without having to change the circuit in any other way.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What is your goal? Do you mean make the dwell shorter? Or just need a physically shorter tank?
    There is an easy mod that will spread the lower end of the reverb adjustment over the 1-10 dial also.

5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I'm just looking for a shorter decay. Right now it has a 4AB3C1B tank. Looks like a 4AB2C1B would do the trick. Any recommendations on where to purchase? Thanks.