Changing Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jakins, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jakins

jakins Member

Ok, ive been playing way too long to not know this...

Ive never changed out speakers in my amps. Can somebody describe to me the correct way to do this, step by step? I dont want to break something :( Pretend you're talking to an infant ;)

Thanks!

2. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

the wire coming from your jacks are (+) and (-)...each speaker will either have 1 or 2 terminals for these wires...don't worry about what configuration your speakers are wired (paralell or series)...don't worry about that- remember there is a positive connection and a negative connection-

get some pieces of electrical tape, duct tape, sharpie pen...something to label which wire is positive or negative- unscrew the speaker, screws are located around the rim and they'll be probably 4 of them (more than likely it will be back-loading, which means you can remove /install from the back)

take the speaker out, look at the terminals and wire connected to the speaker, on the terminal you will see a "+" and a "-" engraved and the wire that goes to it...usually the positive wire will be a different color than the negative, which is universally black in color- if not, that is what the tape or marker is for- mark whichever one (+ or -) you want but only that one-

pull the connectors from the speaker terminals (or if more complicated, desolder the wire from the terminals)- get new speaker and look at its terminals for the "+" and "-" engraving...connect the positive wire to the positive terminal and the negative wire to the negative terminal- screw in the speaker the same way you took it out and fire it up-

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Lay the cabinet or combo face down on a carpeted floor or a blanket, soft pad, foam rubber, etc.

Remove all back panels, if it's a combo, removing the chassis can sometimes be helpful, or sometimes mandatory. The more space you have to work in there, the better.

Remove the speaker wires from the speaker. If they're soldered on, use a low wattage (20 watts should do it) soldering iron so as not to overheat the wire and/or windings in the speaker. Hopefully, your speakers have non solder terminals and soldering isn't required.

Use a nut driver to remove the nuts. Usually the green handled nut driver is the right one. If not, you'll find out which one works soon enough.

CAREFULLY grab the speaker wherever you can without poking holes in the paper cone or touching any wires, and pull straight up. When you've gotten past the mounting screws, get the speaker out of the cab pretty quickly and DON'T DROP IT, especially on the mounting screws:)

Insallation is pretty much the opposite procedures in the opposite order. The most painstaking part is trying to align the new speaker with the mounting screws. You should try this with the old speaker a few times until you get the hang of it. When you're confident, move on.

Once the new speaker is in, install and LIGHTLY tighten the nuts on the mounting screws. Just get the nuts on to start, without too much pressure. As a rough gauge to how tight the nuts should be is to use your non dominant hand (left hand if you're a rightee) and make them pretty tight. Tighten them in a diagonal pattern until they're all pretty tight.

Install wires, etc.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Also be careful when removing the nuts or screws and using a screwdriver, and don't drop the screwdriver. The magnet on the speaker will want to grab stuff. Also it sucks to drop the nuts and such into the speaker, you can remove them but you have to be careful and not jam your hand in there looking for the missing parts. Better to turn the speaker over and let the parts fall out if possible (just like dropping your pick into your acoustic). Finally, make sure you keep the soldering iron away from the cabinet, when moving around you might accidently lay your hand on top of the hot soldering iron (I did and I have the scars to prove it):mad:

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Good advice. AND look at tools before you grab for them. I've grabbed the business end of a soldering iron thinking it was a screw driver because I didn't take my eye "off the ball". :Devil

6. jakins

jakins Member

thanks for all the help!