Changing String Brands

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MuddyWolfJohnson, Mar 21, 2015.

1. MuddyWolfJohnson

MuddyWolfJohnson Member

I recently had an idea that I thought I would share...

My local guitar shop does not carry the brand of strings that I normally order from MF. They carry something similar. And, of course, the salesman really talked up the brand they carry. I tried them because I didn't want to wait on the others to come by mail. And I like them. But I don't know if I like them better or not. So...

What I'm going to do is put on half of the strings from each brand. They're both the same gauge. And both are nickle. I'm putting the 10, 17, & 36 of one brand on with the 13, 26, & 46 of the other brand. This will give me a side by side comparison. Later I will compare the remaining strings from both packs to eliminate the possibility of a bias based on heavier strings. Later I might try some other A B tests to make sure I'm using the best strings for me.

I just thought I would mention this since I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

What brands are they?

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I recommend you just order enough to stay stocked up from Strings and Beyond or Strings By Mail or Just Strings.

Or just order direct from Curt Mangan.
    Or utilize the subscription service from any of those companies I listed.

You are too important to be at the mercy of MF's or your local shop's stock decisions.

4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

If it's that hard to tell which is better then you don't actually prefer either.

You can concentrate on playing guitar and not get sidetracked on gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MuddyWolfJohnson

MuddyWolfJohnson Member

Its DR Pure Blues vs. GHS Burnished Nickle Rockers. I want to like the GHS better because the DRs come packed two to an envelope. I guess they make 2 cents more per pack that way. But it makes changing strings a little more of a hassle. And it gets real confusing when you try to mix in another brand of strings lol.

I think the DRs might have a little more tone. A bit brighter I would say. Which brings up the question of do I want a little brighter string than I've been using? The slight difference in tone imparts a bit of distinctions between notes as well. Which makes me concentrate more on shaping each note.

The experiment continues...

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

So, yo haven't tried Curt Mangan nickel strings yet?
    There are several threads about the DR strings sounding good but being unreliable. I experienced about 1 dud every 3-4 packs.

7. MuddyWolfJohnson

MuddyWolfJohnson Member

No I haven't tried Curt Mangan. I'm hearing some good things about them so maybe I'll try them.

I'm not surprised to hear about the DRs. They seem to cut corners where they can. Would they be willing to pack one string to an envelope if I paid them an extra 3 cents? I also see they don't hold up as well as the GHS. The set I just replaced was starting to unravel after about 2 weeks. Granted I play a LOT. But I didn't have that problem with GHS. Is that what DR means by "old style construction"?

More frequent string changes is a price I'd be willing to pay to get a better tone. But I'm finding the DR highs sound a bit "brittle" through my Vox amp. I prefer the stronger mids of the GHS. That too could change once I engage my pedal board. So far I've been running the amp clean.

How would you say Curt M tones compare across the sound spectrum ie highs, mids, and lows?