Changing the feel of the neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wooldl, Mar 2, 2006.

1. wooldl

wooldl Member

I really like the slick feel of a Fender neck with no finish. It's satiny (I guess) and my sweaty freakin' hands slide easily. Now, my McCarty obviously does not have this type of finish but I'd like it to. Any ideas on getting that feel for the neck of my McC? steel wool? some fine sand paper? I'm afraid to start down that road without some sage advice.

Thanks.

2. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I just sand it with 400 grit in a circular pattern which seems to avoild loading of the paper better then back/forth - makes it more uniform too.

Steel Wool - I just don't like to use - it gets in the pole pieces, can get stuck under the frets and cause rust stains - or stuck in your hands.

Further - it makes the finish so smooth that it still feels sticky - 0000 anyway.

3. giles302

giles302 Member

4. wooldl

wooldl Member

Yes, Giles302,

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.

5. giles302

giles302 Member

Dale - just curious, did you ever use Scott's micromesh method? If so, how did it turn out?

I'm contemplating doing that to my two guitars w/ painted necks. After playing a Carvin w/ the tung oil finish, I just can't get comfortable again on the painted neck surface.