Changing the nut on a LP....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by teestone, Feb 15, 2006.

1. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

I would like to change the nut on my LP. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to take it somewhere and have a professional do it? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. rooster

rooster Member

If you want to do-it-yourself, buy at least 3 or 4 nut blanks, about $150 worth of tools, and be ready to spend about 2 or 3 days on it. That's for a pro job. If you have an LP, I would not assume that $20-25 is too much to spend on a new nut. Go to a pro.

rooster.

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I seem to recall the last new nut I had put on a LP ran me about $30.

Take it to a luthier.

4. vince a

vince a Guest

What's wrong with the nut you have now? Is it truly worn down???
    Anyway, you can order one from Tusq - already cut for your guitar - and install it in 5 to 10 minutes.

Loosen your strings, take a small hammer and punch or small screwdriver, and gently, gently tap the side of the nut. It should loosen right up. Remove it.

Make sure the area there is clean . . . old glue, etc.

Place one drop of white glue, like Elmer's, on the new nut, set it in place, and re-tighten your strings!

I don't even glue my replacements in, as I always change strings one-at-a-time, so the nut doesn't fall out!

Good luck.

5. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

You can buy precut nuts to fit about any guitar.The problem is they will not give you optimal performance for any one guitar.You need to cut your nut to fit your string gauge and fret height.
    When removing your old nut you should first carefully cut thru the finish surrounding the nut with an X-acto knife so you don't remove it with the nut.
    The nut should be glued so it does not move making sure that you use a glue that will bond to the nut.
    If you have never done this before you should take it to a pro or buy the correct tools and research how to do it correctly.