1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the output transformer? (Fender Bandmaster reverb)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matt fuzz, May 16, 2011.

1. matt fuzz

matt fuzz Member

I have a fender bandmaster reverb 69. It has been tchek by a good tech. he changed the bias circuit to the blackface spec, put new power tubes etc etc. I also have the original 2x12 cabinet. I changed the speakers for 2 weber 12f150 8ohms 50w, wired in parallel.

so i was all psyched to play with this amp with my band. but i was so disappoint to hear that it was not loud enough... my other guitarist play a tele throught a blackface bandmaster 64 and he is almost twice louder than i am. ok maybe not 2x as loud as my BMR, but definetly louder! his BF BM 64 has been mod in the past to a 100w 4x6L6. he turned it back to the original 2x6L6, but kept the transfo he had when it was a 100w amp. that's why i consider upgrading to a bigger OT and hope it will provide me a bigger clean. i'm 99% sure it's not a mechanical problem.

now to achieve the sound i want (a good loud clean, just before the breakup) and to keep up with my guitarist and the band, i have to plug my guit throught the BMR and my hot rod deluxe.

i don't want to have to always use two amps. so i was thinking about changing the OT for a twin reverb OT. by doing this mod, would it bring my sound to a new sonic dimension? what i want is a big loud clean! will it be in the same range as the dual showman reverb/twin?

i know going to a twin reverb would be a very good move, but i really don't want to play with another amp. i love so much the BMR!! I was also considering transforming it into a showman dual reverb (wich is a twin head). I'd rather do this mod than having a twin, because the head + cab is what i want. but for now, only changing the OT would be cheaper.

so my question is: how much will i gain by upgrading the OT??

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. pine

pine Silver Supporting Member

I have the exact same amp and have had the same things done to it. The stock OT on a Bandmaster Reverb is not very powerful; I did a transformer upgrade to a Mercury Magnetics Super Reverb vintage replacement (because I wanted to run a 4X10 cab) and it has all the power I need. The Bandmaster Reverb circuit I believe is more similar to a Super than a Twin, which is why I chose the Super transformer. If I could change anything I would have ordered the version that has 2, 4, and 8 ohm taps instead of just the 2 ohm tap, for the sake of versatility. Get more iron in there and you should have the power you need, cheaper than getting a whole new amp. I don't know about getting to a new sonic dimension, but I felt there was a definite overall improvement in tone and in volume.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I put the bassman equivalent from Allen amps in mine for a bit. It definitely improved it. The super reverb replacement is bigger yet. Look for one with 4 & 8 ohm taps... Very convenient... And I never use the second jack anyway.

4. mxvin

mxvin Member

you can use a 100 watt 4 ohm Twin reverb style OT. The Twin OT wants to see 4 tubes using just two tube it will want to see 8 ohms. Dont what your speaker impedance is. Also as others have mentioned there are several choices on new trannies to choose from. The bigger iron will give you a bigger and tighter bass plus it will icrease the volume a bit and increase the headroom too.

5. matt fuzz

matt fuzz Member

thanks everybody! you are helping me taking the right decision for my amp!

6. matt fuzz

matt fuzz Member

With the help of my tech, I've finally chose to upgrade my OT with a Mercury Magnetics: FBFBM-OX, Bassman Blackface, single 4Ω tap, Oversized.

I can't wait to hear it in my amp!

7. mxvin

mxvin Member

Cool. Good Luck!! I have a BMR/VC thing going too. I just upgraded the OT to an Allen Amp/Heboyer TO40MT. Good size iron with 4/8 tap.
    I have an Altec418 waiting for cabinet.

We can compare notes....

8. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't use a twin reverb OT on that bandmaster reverb. The thing is, the amp cannot deliver more power than the power supply transformer delivers to it. The twi n reverb OT is as large, or larger, than the power supply transformer of the Bandmaster reverb. So, the Twin OT is a waste of iron i(and extra weight) f you ask me because no matter how large the OT becomes, once it is larger than the power supply tranny the power supply has become the limiting factor.

So, I'd go with either the Allen (heyboer) TO40MT (multi tap, bigger than the BMR OT, but not quite as large as the super reverb/bassman OT)

---OR-

A Blackface bassman OT (4ohm), or a multi-tap version (Hammond has one, Mercury mag's has one, etc)