Changing Tubes in a Badger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cal1024, Jun 2, 2015.

1. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

Has anyone seen any improvement swapping out different preamp or power tubes in a Suhr Badger 18 or 35? I think I am the third owner of a 35 and am going to change everything out and keep the old ones for back-ups.
    Currently they are ARS JJ/Tesla EL84s and 12AX7s. The EL84s have matching numbers handwritten on the power tubes. Should/can I order from Suhr to get the same type?

2. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

You can order from Suhr but why bother? They're cathode biased amps so any matched power tubes from a reputable dealer will do. NOS tubes may sound good in those amps but I am sure Suhr voiced those amps around currently produced tubes because of their availability. I own both the 18 and 35 and am totally happy with the performance of the ARS/JJs. Ymmv though.

3. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

I'm very happy with the stock sound as well. I'm just wondering if there would be an improvement with new ones since they have who knows how many hours on them from previous owners. At the same time wondering if there are any that work better. I think you're right that they designed the amp with those in mind though. It's not like they'll send an amp like that out with inferior tubes to save $30 in production costs.
    I did have a few 12AX7s around...a Tung Sol, Gold Lion, and another JJ. I just tried them and ended up just sticking with the original.