Chank - Soloing...

newb3fan

How are you guys taking the solo section over this tune?

I just love the groove of this tune like it's nobody's business. I'm curious to know how you handle it, both inside the chords and going outside as well. Are you starting with D mixo and going from there?

Aaron Mayo

I'd start where the tune starts, in d blues. Hopefully my imagination will take over and I can go somewhere with it. As for pedagogical approaches, I'd ask, what would James Brown sing over this? What would Jimmy Smith, Wes, Miles or Jeff Beck play? Per GJ's post, would check out what is being done on the track. Maybe I'd come up with a cool line and go, "hey that's part of D mixolydian."

zztomato

Yeah man, go with it. Use mixo, dorian, diminished. The main chord he's riffing on has a flat 3rd and a regular 3rd, and a 7th. It's all in there and fair game IMO.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
It's just D7#9 funk jam, so you're in the world of D but almost anything goes!

The "trick" (that Sco and the masters make sound so easy) is how conversational he keeps it, how vocal his lines are. With strong phrasing like that, there are no "wrong" notes or harmonic choices. He leaves space and lets it breathe...

I do Green Tea every gig I can haha, just did it last Saturday night...

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
What sort of band/gig do you have where you can play a song like that?
I play jazz and do a lot of trios and two guitar or guitar+bass duos. Last Saturday was a monthly thing I do at an art gallery with another guitar player. Always goes over well at cocktail hour trio gigs, gets people dancing after a few drinks!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom