Channel Strips for live acoustic instruments?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JATOBA, Feb 14, 2012.

1. JATOBA

JATOBA Member

Hey y'all so I've been tossing around the idea of moving away from pre-amp DI's(LR baggs & Radial Tonebone) and going towards a rack mounted channel strip scenario, four of them with preamps built in. I play in all acoustic band (no drums) and I play four different acoustic instruments in the group. These floor DI's are getting: 1. annoying and numerous to be on the ground. 2. Not really getting the tone I'm looking for and I'm looking for some different options. Any suggestions? What I would ultimately like is to be able to have a line in and a mic set up for solos but until we get a sweet in-ear monitor setup that won't be happening. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

John

2. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Pendulum Audio makes one...

4. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

That retro channel sounds great. I have used my little Focusrite track master strip live a few times, and that has always worked well. I know that Johnny from the Goo Goo Dolls uses channel strips instead of DI's, I think he has 3 or 4 Channdler Germanium strips in his rack, along with some wireless units.

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Also check out the Avalon U5, it's very popular in pro racks.

7. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

What are you ultimately going to be running this through? House sound systems? Your own? It's only going to sound as good as the weakest link in the chain, so unless you're going through some pretty high-end systems, I'd question how much difference sonically, a fancy channel strip is going to make vs. a decent little mixer. Also, I'd consider if some of these strips are made to withstand the rigors of gigging. Just playing devil's advocate. How about Midas xl42's?

8. JATOBA

JATOBA Member

Thanks for advocacy of the devil :) Our own system is OK but we usually rely on house systems at the theaters and venues that we play. We are getting to a point where we use house systems more and our own less. So I think it would be warranted to get my own sound dialed in to a point where they just take a line from my rack. I'm definitely not trying to spend over $500 or $600 on the unit. I'd like to get all 4 of my instruments to this point but right now I'll settle for two of them. I was thinking about this one http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Eureka/ anyone hve any experience with it?

9. jacoblee83

jacoblee83 Member

+1 for Pendulum
    +1 for Avalon

10. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

11. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

David Crowder used this for most of his career. He played 2 Tom Anderson Crowdster's (his namesake), so they weren't acoustic per se, but electric-acoustics.