Channel Switchers or Pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by D 2 Z, Jun 20, 2008.

Channel Switchers or Pedals?

1. Channel Switchers (foot switchable)

2. Distortion/Overdrive/Boost Pedals

3. Neither

4. A/B Box if the amp allows

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

For quick changes between clean and distortion (talking classic rock/hard rock) do you prefer channel switchers (foot switchable) or pedals? Some say channel switchers sound bad, some say pedals sound bad, what do you prefer and why?

2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I find that channel switchers are always a comprimise. That said. a 2 channel amp and some pedals will get you the furthest. I prefer two amps.

3. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

How are they a compromise? What do you lose/gain?

4. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Some amps with channel switching sound good where your tone is not compromised and has high gain options and others sound better with OD pedals.

5. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I like channel switchers if the two channels aren't set drastically different.

6. Derelict

Derelict Member

with pedals + clean amp, there's not really a need for an effects loop.

7. JZG

JZG Member

I tend to prefer a good channel switcher over pedals, but enjoy both. My ideal setup is a channel switcher set to the drive channel, and use a couple OD's/boosts to add some texture, and back off my guitar volume for cleaner tones. I find a good drive channel typically provides better overall tone than a pedal. More dynamic and responsive. I also use delay so a good fx loop is a must. I can live with the inconvenience of a couple extra cable runs to the amp, as I find using a loop keeps everything a little more pure. The delays can get away from me when running into the front end of the amp. My pedalboard setup allows me to go both ways though, so as long as there's an amp around, I should be able to get a good enough tone.

8. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

For example, a fender blues junior and an MI Audio crunchbox...How would that be. Thats just an example not exactly what im looking for.

9. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I've had some really good channel switchers but still prefer the tones I get from my pedals over most of them. The Duende that I'm currently using has a very good 2nd channel but I still prefer the BoR over the 2nd channel. The MI Audio Crunchbox is also on the board with an RC Booster. There is enough variance of tones to fill the bill for me.

10. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I don't get the pedal thing. People pay so much money to have PTP or turret board wired tube amps only to throw a solid state dirt box in front of it. I'm happy with my channel switched tone.

11. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I never found a channel switcher that sounded as good as 2 seperate amps - there's always a compromise IMHO. I dig the 1 ch. amp w/a OD & booster. Someone name me a channel switcher that sounds as good as 2 seperate amps please. I've tried those that claim such & they fall down flat on their faces. 'cept the Matchless Independence BUT EVEN THEN the clean channel isn't as phenomenal as my Clubman - a single channeler.

SERVE!!

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I vote two amps when allowed. But most of the time I use a nice cleanish amp with a few pedals. I find channel switchers to be good on one channel, and usually not so good on the other channel(s). But then again I am a classic rock / blues kinda guy, so a single channel and a boost is plenty.

dk

13. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I'd love to have two different amps but just to get a broader range. I'm very happy with my clean, crunch and lead tones out of my amp. I'd just like to get something to get me more in British territory. I've been seriously considering the Roccaforte Switcher kit from Mojo if I can ever hear the thing.

14. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Personally I usually find the power section tuned to one "channel" well and the others not so much. Also it seems that controls start getting shorted on.

15. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    I've got both--My tube channel switchers sound and FEEL better to me than any of my bootikee pedals--and I've had/tried dozens.

IMHO many players that think they prefer transistor pedals just haven't found the right tube amp.

16. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

how would a mesa 5:25's channel switching be? How would a nice fender clean amp sound with a dirt infront to try and get classic/hard rock distortion?

17. snoggin

snoggin Member

I use both so I voted neither.. I like to use a bit of bb preamp on the clean channel of a channel switcher sometimes and I use a delay and a dejavibe.. whatever sounds good really.

18. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

That Express will be great.

Pedals are probably easier, and certainly cheaper. I've not used OD pedals much, but my impression is that they are smoother and easier to use, but that's because they are not as responsive to playing dynamics.
    I prefer the sensitivity of a good tube amp. Even though they can be less forgiving, they are more rewarding when you get it right.

I do like to use 2 amps at times at home. It would be a pain for a gigging situation.
    As always I say, there is a huge difference between playing for others and playing for yourself. Tone is way less important when playing for others.

19. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I tend to use both systems. I have Two-Rock Opal, a channel switcher I use with no distortion pedals. I also use a SF Vibrolux Reverb with a Fulldrive II. Betwen these choices, I prefer the cleans of the Vibrolux but compromise on the distorion a little. With the Two_rock I have heavenly distorted sounds but can't quite get the sparkly cleans the SFVR gets.

You are always making compromises in the gear world. Once you reach a certain quality level, there is rarely an absolute "better". Better and worse are usually conditional upon many factors.

I've also played gigs with a non-channel switcher with no pedals. I just use the guitar volume.

20. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I voted channel switcher but my real answer is BOTH. I use a clean boost pedal in my FX loop of my channel switcher to give me 4 channels of happiness. :)