Channel switchers with a memory?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MCK, Feb 7, 2012.

1. MCK

MCK Member

A quick question. Most channel switchers I have seen with additional foot-switchable functions such as Reverb, Boost etc don't remember the state of these functions per channel. Ie, if boost is on for Clean channel when I go to OD boost is still on so if I don't want it on in OD I have to explicitly stomp on it after the channel change. Likewise for Reverb etc.

Do you know of any multi-channel amp that retains the last used settings per channel for the foot-switchable functions? Kindly list for me. This is a purely educational question for me. I don't care at all how the amps sound. Just want to learn how they do what they do. Thanks!

2. Sancho

Sancho Member

Not sure if it's 100% what you're looking for, but Marshall's JVM series comes close.

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

Marshall Haze & JVM (love em both)

4. MCK

MCK Member

Thanks. Will look at both amps circuits to see how they accomplish this feature. Appreciate the info.

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

The Marshall JVM is a midi controlled amp. That is how it retains pretty much everything that you setup into any of the "presets" in its foot control.

You can even control this using a midi controller like the ground control pro. I suspect the Joe Satriani iteration will also support this.

6. MCK

MCK Member

Oh thanks for that clarification. I'm looking to see if any non-midi amps have been able to incorporate what I'm looking for.

7. Miles

Miles Member

Rivera amps have assignable boosts for each channel and are footswitchable - containing separate footswitches for each channel's boost. Very handy.

8. MCK

MCK Member

Thanks for the input. I'm looking to see if there are any amps with "sticky" controls per channel. Not sure how best to describe it. Let me have another go

Amp I'm using has a Clean channel and an OD channel. It then has foot-switchable Boost, Reverb and FX Loop for both channels. I like the Reverb on with Clean channel but not OD channel. Likewise I might have FX Loop on with the OD but not Clean.

When I go from Clean to OD then I have to stomp on the Reverb and FX Loop to bring them to where they need to be. I'm sure I'm not the only one to wish for each channel to retain the last used settings of its sub-functions such as Boost, Reverb & FX Loop etc. Trying to see which amps might have achieved this capability natively and how.

Thanks much for your help.

9. axelicker

axelicker Member

I've owned a few amps that would do that, but the common thread is that they were all midi-switchable amps. Randall, Hughes&Kettner, hell even a Behringer GMX1200 head. Can't say for sure whether they would remember the state of a reverb or FX loop if just powered-on without a midi controller connected... though I'm pretty certain the H&K Triamp has a "learn" function that retains the state of the switchable features (loop, boost, etc) PER CHANNEL. Thus even if you changed channel via the front panel it had unique defaults for those features.

10. MCK

MCK Member

Thanks for the input. Will look at the H&K Triamp. What I want is a simple performance time stickiness though. Don't want to fiddle with the front panel learn buttons etc real time. My simple wish is that the amp remembers the last state per channel for these sub-functions.

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

pretty much not gonna happen without midi.

12. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

What about amps that have those functions per channel?

My Mesa DC5 has a different reverb knob for each channel. don't know if there are any amps with channel assignable boost.

13. MCK

MCK Member

I'm building a replacement foot-switch pedal for my amp to introduce this capability. I'm using 4 relays to replace (ie simulate) the 4 stomp buttons in the original. Driving these relays using a small Arduino board. It techically is a micro-computer which you can do anything with. Arduino listens to the 4 stompbuttons and drives the relays which in return provide the on/off for the amp. You can think of this as taking a regular old car with a carb and retrofitting it with fuel injection driven by a fuel management computer... Fly by wire etc.

Its easy to implement the 'sticky' behavior in the Arduino software environment. I am happy with the solution but I was hoping to see some amps where the same might have been accomplished natively and in a more analog way. Research continues...

Meanwhile some photos of my geekery... Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

That's basically midi control though. Instead of a multipurpose Arduino board you'd just use a preprogrammed midi board.

15. MCK

MCK Member

Exactly. I'm not saying my solution is this or that. I just had a need and parts to tinker with so ended up with something like this. Knowing that its not the best solution I'm looking for something better. Point is that this amp does not have midi in/out ports so I had to come up with a workaround. My solution could work with any amp driven by shorting stomp buttons and that probably is an advantage over midi controllers but thats about it.

If anyone else is interested in putting something like this together I am happy to share in the spirit of Open source and Arduino.

Research continues...

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Oh, I'm just saying that you could definitely build something like you've done and add it on to any amp...

I was just pointing out that instead of the arduino you could have a midi board that has all the programming done for you already.

17. MCK

MCK Member

Building is fun though! Which midi board can I use in this case? I'd like to explore that avenue as well. Thanks much for your help.