Channel switching Marshall inspired head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Praetorian, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

Hey all

Looking to buy a channel switcher, 2 or 3 channels to use in both a band situation and at home to possibly record, so it will need to have a good master volume. Thinking of around 50W, but may be willing to go to 100W as long as MV is very good. We play some loud gigs occasionally so the amp has to have a fairly wide sweet spot and be able to hold together as you turn it up.

My favourite tones are Marshall's from the late 60's to early 80's.

Amps I have been looking at include

Carol Ann OD2 and Triptik
    CAA PT100
    Marshall JVM410H
    PWE Event Horizon
    Splawn Quickrod
    Naylor Duel 60 + pedals
    Bluetone ACDC head (saw a demo of this on You Tube - two channels 1: plexi 2: JCM800 - hot rodded 800. Very impressive but built in Denmark I think so not sure too many would have tried or know about them)

I can only review a most of these amps via clips before purchasing so any people that have played/gigged/owned these please comment on what you like and didn't like about these amps.

I use both a Strat and a Les Paul, so any adjustments the amp can make to accommodate both, or just how they sound with both might be useful info also.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. freaksho

freaksho Member

to not include Bogner in that list must have been intentional. but in case it wasn't, add the Shiva and the Goldfinger. :)

3. Lance

Lance Member

Judging by your sig it looks like you already have a 50W DSL. What about it is not doing it for you?

4. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

Freaksho...actually the Bogner was accidental. The goldfinger 45 clips I've heard sound pretty good. The clean channel is supposed to be awesome. People seem to have to take a bit more time to dial in the 69/80 channel to their liking.

Lance....The DSL has a nice clean and crunch, the gain channel is a bit meh. Also because you cannot footswitch between the modes within a channel is a drawback for me at gigs. Also mine has circuit board issues which makes it hum quite loudly. The tech says he cannot fix it without replacing the whole board.

Looking to pay a bit more for an amp and go boutique for the extra quality.

5. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I have a Rivera K-55 Knucklehead....for sale.

6. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

bump for more opinions. Jeez these threads fall off the radar so quick these days.

7. Sancho

Sancho Member

I have a Quickrod, out of the ones you mentioned. It gets plenty loud, but it doesn't have the smoothest volume taper. More like an on/off switch...
    You can however use the effects loop volume as an overall master volume. That works very well. I have my channel volumes up to about halfway and then just set the amp's overall volume with the FX loop level.
    Great tones in that amp and plenty flexible for my old school metal needs.

Tested the JVM but wasn't convinced by the tones on offer.

8. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Member

You should probably include Landry on your short list...

9. freaksho

freaksho Member

all the best amps have been mentioned and there have been many discussions on all of them. truth is you can't go wrong with any of them, it's just a matter of what features and flavors you prefer. suggest you start doing some searching and reading and come back when you have some specific questions. good luck and have fun!

10. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Landry. Done.

The Maven Peal RG88 works nicely for recording use thanks to the wattage control (1 watt is still VERY LOUD!).

11. otherface

otherface Member

I have a Marshall I am pretty happy with; a 4100, with a diode cancelling switch, which puts it between the 2205 and SL-X. A bit smoother than either, with less gain than the latter. Anyway, I want more of the vibe; it is my first Marshall and I like it a lot more than my first few amps (V4, Dual Showman, 5150, Sound City mkIV most recently). I was wondering if I should track down a 6100, 2550/2555 or 2203/2204 or if getting a multiple channel amp like the CAA OD100 or the Ecstasy 101b/Anniversary are so much better that they are worth the 1500-2000+

12. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

I'd read a few guys that favoured the PWE over the Landry. I know its all personal opinion but the feature set on this PWE seems pretty cool. So thanks for the recommendation but going to keep the choices to the ones I've listed.

13. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

14. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

You should check out the Shiva Anniversary.

Gret clean, great mean and a boost for solos.

Matt

15. rick13

rick13 Member

Hard to beat the master volume setup on the CarolAnns.
    check out the Triptik, comes in 50,100 or a lower wattage "r' version.
    The clean channel is phenomenal,the two overdrive channels will set your hair on fire.
    Rick

16. pima1234

pima1234 Member

The Maven Peal RG88 is fantastic. Easy to bias and try to new tubes. Highly effective wattage control and sag circuit. 3-way voicing switch like on the Emery Sound amps, plus a killer preamp boost.

Sad to say, that and my Carol Ann Tucana will probably be looking for a new home once the Landry gets here.