Chapin Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by trisonic, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

The Houla through the Allie? Heaven. More vintage than meaty. And all the pickup selections are usable.

Bill's still thinking about the other specs. My one requirement is no inlay on the fretboard - so he's gotta find a good place to put those Shades. What can you tell me about your Fatline? I'm looking for an open, acoustic but not jazzy quality.

2. Testudo

Testudo Member

That's how I got inexorably drawn into a redwood Hawk, too - hearing that tapped tone!
    My Hawk is actually cooler than cnardone's, because it was made afterward and hence could only be an improvement. :p
    But the mini-humbuckers - will they be TV Jones? There's no beating redwood with TV Jones buckers. Waiting for it may kill you...

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yeah, you guys used to have the coolest Chapins, and it's great you experienced that honor (however briefly), but you gotta realize my upcoming fretless hollow Hawk trumps 'em all.

Sorry, but it just had to be done.

:)

4. Testudo

Testudo Member

That's just wrong, so wrong.

5. theFaf

theFaf Member

I don't know about that... ;) My Dano-Houla is pretty frickin' cool. :dude Although a fretless would be pretty interesting.

Scott

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hey, Chris.

Sorry that I missed you at that earlier NJ Tone Fest. We should get together, which town are you close to in NY?

Anyway I'm torn (as opposed to I'm Torn:YinYang ) between a lightweight SG type piece with humbuckers (I like the '61 Reissue except for it's neck - which is why I also don't play my beautiful ES335 much, either) or another Strat shaped thingy.
    I love the ergonomics of the 'Houla but I don't like the look of them with humbuckers, that's just me - EC Tribute? Whatever, it would probably entail Mahogany (of some form) set neck and a lot of dialable / switchable Mids! I need the body to be smaller than a Hawk, I like the placement of the top horn button in relation to the neck on "Hank" - it balances perfectly.
    My old beat up Les Paul covers that Lester sound perfectly (I get more enamored of it every day even after 25 years) but the weight (11.5lbs) is killing me - it looks like I may start playing out again sometime soon and I need a much lighter weight......

I'd appreciate ideas.

Best, Pete.

7. 57special

57special Member

So i sent in my deposit for a Houla. Bill said he'd drop everyone else's guitar and get on mine right away. :D
    It's pretty meat and potatoes. Alder w/ Brazilian. Tobacco type burst that he's already done one some others. Only thing that's different is that i'll have the backwards bridge pup, and, after considering other more esoteric arrangements, the rear pup that works like the one on the Hank.
    Am i now eligible to apply for membership in the "Gear Club for Men"?

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

You are (almost) a Chapinista!!

I'm sure that you'll love "Hank's" Bridge P'up. When I first got it it took me about 24 hours just to stop playing around with that one P'up.

Best, Pete.

9. cnardone

cnardone Member

Pete,

if you are going with a Houla body, I think the idea of an EC tribute is too cool. I completely agree about the look of buckers in the houla shape. Even worse is when there is no pickguard. It is just not right. I live in Garnerville, NY it is 30 miles north of NY on the Jersey side. I am in Hoboken every saturday. I am in my last semester at stevens. So that is always a good time.

TD,
    I am not very good at describing but, I can get in the acoustic area with the neck and strat bridge pickups selected (my bridge bucker can be split to a p-90 side or a strat side). It is not nearly as thick in the mids as a LP, it stays really articulate. There is no harshness in the bridge. It definitely has a some hollow sounds to it but not so much like George Thorogood. There is still plenty of attack to the guitar. Overall it just sounds incredible. Like I said, i am not very good at this.

cmn

10. Mike

Mike Member

[​IMG]

This one's gone, (sniff, sniff). Fortunately I've got 3 other projects going with Bill, so there always seems to be something to look forward to....

Mike

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Chris,
    Ha, Ha! Saturdays are not good for me until the late Spring - my daughter takes over the basement on Saturdays and as my Music Room is down there too I can't blast her out........besides; I've a "Hankering" to try both your Alessandro and Two Rock.......Sorry about the awful pun.
    Hank was put through a beautiful Carr Rambler this week - joyous noise!

Best, Pete.

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

:BEER :BEER

13. cnardone

cnardone Member

We can certainly try late Saturday afternoon at my house. I get home @ 3:00 from School. I have to coordinate getting the wife out of the house first though. I can do Sunday afternoons as well. I think my Wife would prefer Saturdays though. To give you an idea, I am about 55 minutes north of downtown Hoboken (Of off exit 13 on the Palisades Parkway).

14. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

chris, maybe room for another local sometime ?

I played your Chapin at the last ampfest in NJ. I was the guy with the red Gibby 356 and also a Mctrem w/p90's...

someday....a chapin tele-gib in my future....

15. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Hey wait just a minute Mr. ToneGurus. What're the 3 other projects you've got going with Bill?

16. cnardone

cnardone Member

Sure, We'll push the toys out of the way and bring the amps into the den.

It will be fun.

cmn

17. Steve Snider

I just wanted to say that this guitar which came home with me last week is an awesome instrument in every way. Bill is making great stuff and I encourage all to check them out. This strat has it's own vibe and it kills. I would put it up against anything and that includes GVC,Suhr, Tyler, Grosh, DeTemple, Fender CS etc. Amazing guitar.

Thanks Mike and Bill!

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

I had my eyes on that.......nice piece indeed. Another new Chapinista!

Best, Pete.

19. 57special

57special Member

the only reason i hadn't bought it is that no one else had ... now that someone has bought it, i wish i had.
    am looking forward to the alder/BR RW, though.

20. Steve Snider

Killing guitar. Used it with a Suhr OD100 SE in my band tonight and the tones were great.

It is about time!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.