Chapin Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by trisonic, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6120

6120 Member

Bill, are you there, I have sent a couple of emails, no reply?

2. 57special

57special Member

Has anyone talked to Bill this week?:jo

3. flash1

flash1 Member

I have. He's just got a lot on his plate right with gitfiddle type things. I'm sure he will be in touch.

4. 57special

57special Member

Hopefully one of the things on his plate is my guitar! However this is about him being there to accept delivery on a couple of packages... wondered if there was an emergency neccessitating an absence.

5. cnardone

cnardone Member

I caught him this week as well. He is about to get started on mine in the next little bit.

yahoooo!!!!

cmn

6. Shades

Shades Member

Got them today. I'm not sure what happened yesterday. There was someone here all day.

Regarding emails, I'm a bit behind on them as I've been way overtime out in the shop to make a couple of very tight deadlines.

7. 57special

57special Member

Good news.... the items were somewhat valuable, and one of them isn't mine, so i was getting a bit nervous. Good talking to you, catch you later next week maybe, or just give me a call when you feel you need to.

I'll go back to my cave now.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Bill,
    Got time for some pics?

Heh, heh......

Best, Pete.

9. 6120

6120 Member

10. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    yes. a local lumber dealer commissioned Bill to make a few guitars from his stock of wood. this was a couple years ago, before the move to Oregon. one was intended for the owner's son, one for Greg Kihn, one for display, something like that (Bill will correct or expand as time permits, i'm sure). anyway, one of those guitars was set up in my garage and this maybe it was this one. all of them were quite special.

man...:drool

this one was my favorite cuz i go for the natural look + the neck p'up is something else (p90 in hum format)

:cool:

11. Shades

Shades Member

I spent about 15 or so hours sorting through the wood at Southern Lumber in San Jose to find the pieces for the promo pieces. I was able to get some very cool and special boards. This particular guitar was my favorite of the bunch. This one has a real wide open,clear tone. Almost archtoppy in the neck position (Duncan Phat Cat.) great snap and chime with just enough growl out of the bridge. The two pickup tone has a very wide sounding acoustic strum.The birch for this guitar is still the best birch I've ever run across. Off the map resonant and beautiful as well.We had the sister to this one at your Garage (tobacco burst with the top from a different cut of the same board with the lesser bookmatch.) Greg Kihn owns that one.

12. Testudo

Testudo Member

I did NOT need to read that...sounds incredible.

13. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    yes, it did ;) (looks incredible, feels incredible,...you know how that goes)...:D

plus, if i remember correctly <alert>, it was one of Bill's personal faves. 'course, that'll vary from person to person. and there's only one way for each to find out :Devil

:cool:

14. cnardone

cnardone Member

Not to put any extra pressure on Bill, but are you going to have the EC-O-Houla for the Nov 18th Amp-O-thon?

cmn

15. Mojoman

Mojoman Member

Fidured I would add this here to......since this is THE Chapin thread.

Hey guys,
    Well I bought this guitar from Cliff (Destroy All Guitars) at the Summer Philly guitar show. After some paint chip issues (Bill and I still not sure how they happened) and some wiring problems (probably happened at the same time), the guitar is back in my hands.
    The guitar plays great and sounds even better. It has two P90's in it. A beautiful flamed neck, a great paint job, and a great story with it. Cliff and Bill were both very helpful through the whole process and I would buy from both again. Bill is a great guy to talk to, so knowledgable it is sometimes scary.

Well here are some pics - and notice the THG custom knobs I had made that Bill installed when it was in for its visit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

Maybe, Chris, I need it (for another reason) by the 19th! But I like to live with them for a bit before taking them on the town! Call me old fashioned but I need to mould them to me like a woman. :crazy

You reminded me that I need to talk with Bill about the control options.......

Best, Pete.

17. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

I'm still weak in the knees thinking about this one Pete. Sounds like it fixes all my 'I hate strat' prejudices.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

It's off at Saul's being painted - oh, it might be back by now.
    The idea was an alternative to EPC's model in that it will have fat Gibbo type neck, Gibbo scale, Gibbo type woods (set neck), EPC electronics.

Strats ergonomically fit me (and I wanted a rare colour) as they will you as you become mo' svelte!

Best, Pete.

19. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Heh heh. Knowing Bill like I do, it's going to be absolutely amazing. No doubt.

Wish he was in SJ still, so I could go sneak a peak. :D

We'll find out on the strat front again. Got a 'mutt' in the works.

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

Mike,

What's a Mutt? - you're a Thorn guy right? I played a Thorn and liked it a lot, I must say, though, I prefer the plainer (in looks) variations - that's just me, though!

Look forward to seeing your new one.

Best, Pete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.