Chapin Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by trisonic, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Hey - remember me? The guy who hates Strats?

So, um, well... I got two 'Houlas coming. One with lipsticks and a super cool bridge pup as soon as Bill makes up his mind what that'll be, the other a perfect copy of Lowell George's Strat.

This is scary.... Though in fairness to me, some of this is just refactoring guitars I had on order that came to grief in the explosion. And some of it is because Bill is feeling creative again (read: insane) and the results promise to be way cool!

2. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Aw jeeez. I kept telling myself if YOU hadn't succubmed to the dark forces of the strat I'd be okay....

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Join us... JOIN us... ;)

Eventually we are all assimilated, I guess. It's easier to just give up peacefully and pretend you still have some dignity and free will after the fall. Sigh...

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Weel - ma wife says I was getting yon funny luke in my peepers over that au natural figoored Swamp Ash 'houla! Yer saved me! See, it wuz broon...........I tol' Bill I woul' ne'er buy a broon git-thingy........

Now, where's that Gold, one? Residing in my feverish imagination, only?

Nice piece, Dave - that Bridge pick up is worth the price of entry alone.

Best, Pete.

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

This is what happens when aging insomniac gear hounds have too much time on their hands and too much access to guitar forums... Guitars get bought... Lives ruined... The screams of the dying... Oh the humanity...

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Och, Aye! The noo.

Best, Pete.

7. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

So how does Chapin's Strats sound compared to Grosh in terms of tone and construction? Does he use all vintage style hardware (like Senn) or different (like Grosh)? And does it have a modern sound like Anderson or a vintage sound like Grosh?

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dunno, never played a Grosh.

Bill makes you a true custom guitar from planks of wood - tell him what you want it to sound like, what sort of neck you want etc., etc. No two are totally alike, really.

Best, Pete.

9. big mike

Yeah Grosh has a set recipe that he sorta sticks to, semi custom.

Bill is truly the mad scientist. No comparison IMO.

10. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

So it wouldn't be wrong to think that I could get a custom, dead-on vintage sounding Strat?

11. cnardone

cnardone Member

Not at all. Ask Tag about his.

cmn

12. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Which "his" would that be, cnardone? I'm about to get my Stratahoula back. Originally, it went to Tag but he wanted something different so it eventually ended up with me. But the neck was too big so I had Bill make a different neck which got destroyed in the big kaboom so he made a 3rd neck.

I would describe mine as angelic - which also means vintage. Bill apparently agreed because its official name is now "Angel's Breath". I'll have more details and a photo after the weekend.

But, yes, Bill can voice it any way you want and, more importantly, in ways you didn't know you wanted.

13. big mike

I heard that one, was amazing. Another I got to play before it was sold went to Vettelover? Think he sold it but dunno where it ended up. THE BEST strat I ever heard. By a long shot. Original GOOD Pre-cbs shiver and quake at the mention of Bill's name. :D

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

I think "Angel's Breath" needs to get together with "Hank" pronto, J.B. Where will it all end?

Actually "Hank" is due for a visit back to his maker next week for a re-fret and 20K service.

Look forward to some photos, J.B.

Best, Pete.

15. Testudo

Testudo Member

Haven't contributed to this fine thread for ages, so I thought I might offer this 'action shot' of my Redwood Hawk.
    [​IMG]

16. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Bill is a one-of-a kind artist. His is a quiet intensity when it comes to dialing and voicing one of his creations. (Well, maybe not that quiet!) There are no rules. He will do anything to pull a sound out of something. If that means using the most rare and beautiful of tonewood or cutting a leg off a bedpost, it does not matter. If the sound he hears in his head cannot be produced with commercially available parts, he will fabricated them. Pickups? Of course. (Winding longer than many of today's successful pickup makers.) Hardware? indeed. Last week he was asking to use the mill to make a trem block. From African Blackwood.
    There is a complexity to his instruments which to me does not always come across from the pics you see of his work. I've had the opportunity to check many of these out, inside and out. Wow. Amazing craftsmanship. Every cut, shape, etc is purposeful for tone. It is work on a higher level for sure.

On top of all of that, he is a heck of a nice guy. Kind to the point of fault. He'll do anything for a friend. Funny, irreverent, generous, and a tone genious.

When Bill gets into a new home, builds a shop and has a permanent place to do his thing, all I can say is "Look out!" I can't wait to see what he comes up with. He will push the art further.
    That he can get anything done at all these days is astonishing.

Cheers to The Mighty Chapin!
    :BEER:BEER

17. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Trisonic,

Where will it end indeed? I've got the Mahogahoula, Angel's Breath, and a Fatline in the works. I bought the Mahogahoula to hold me over while the AB was back with Bill and now I can't imagine living without it. And a bitchin' Koll (who's also a heck of a good guy) Tornado to boot. It's overwhelming and and lotsa fun but I've got to get on the stick and sell some stuff to make up for the damage to my wallet!

And, Testudo, the Hawk's stunning.

18. big mike

One of these days....there's a T bird or Hawk with my name on it.

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

Saul,
    That is a beautifully generous post (and very accurate).

African Blackwood Trem Block? Who is the lucky client?
    One of the silver linings is the fact that he should be able to plan his "new" workshop from the ground up.

Best, Pete.

20. Mike

Mike Member

There are a lot of people who sort of specialize in that kind of thing, with and without the relicing. Bill might be considered "over qualified" to do that kind of thing at this juncture.

Bill goes beyond that. He can capture any vintage sound as well as anyone on the planet, but usually that's just a starting point. Steve Snider has a really great one - he's played dozens of old ones and boutique ones. Last I heard he said it was far and away the best he'd ever played.

[​IMG]

If you'd like, shoot me an email and let me know what you had in mind. He's at least 6 months out right now.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.