Chapin Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by trisonic, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingvees

flyingvees Silver Supporting Member

@ 2800.00 you got a deal...If you paid any less please dont tell...:mob :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Congrats!

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Let's say we are both satisfied. ;)

S.
    j

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Steve - I thought I had pics of you at that table at breakfast, but sadly, I couldn't find them. Glad you finally got a chance to get on board with that most excellent looking Stratahoula. You have been assimilated... ;)

4. cnardone

cnardone Member

The Gibby scale one?

cmn

5. TNJ

I may have a copy of it on my home computer.

I'll check tonite.

:cool:

To answer you, cmn, I dont think so...not sure though.

S.
    j

6. flyingvees

Just thought I would update you guys on the new Chapin's adjustment to its new home...Any guitar I have ever had I always wanted something else be it minor or major but felt that I wouldnt be satisfied...Well this one will NOT be going back for any changes and even if someone tried to put Stevie's mojo in it I would chop off their hands...This will be with me till I am old and grey or until Bill builds me another instant number one classic....The most awesome instument of destruction I have ever touched....Half wood / Half steel All Evil.....

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Damn - Bill sure does get lucky with what he builds sometimes, don't he?!? ;) :D

I think he's just F'ing with my head now because he has a couple for me (one new, one mojo-rewire) that HE KEEPS NOT PUTTING IN THE MAIL TO ME!!! :mad:

C'mon, Bill... Please....? I'm a broken man... I need my fix.... Please....???

8. flyingvees

I think thats the problem...What the old saying...Dont get high on your own supply....:rotflmao

9. TNJ

Yeah,
    Got the Chapin a couple of days ago.
    Main problem... .11's! I thought the guitar had .10's and felt stiff. Not so... Getting that fixed tomorrow.
    This guitar is sweet...and sounds so phat it's ridiculous.
    Lotsa chime and clarity.

Just the ticket...gigging her out this saturday night.

More later,
    S.
    j

10. Lance

Lance Member

Well, I played my first Chapin strat over the weekend. All I can really say is that this guy known as Bill has pretty much ruined me for life, now!!! A friend of mine picked it up on eBay for a mere $900.00! Supposedly, this one didn't have a neck on it, and was at Bill's old place when it caught fire. But, it was ok, and then it had a neck put on it, and then something else happened to it. Stolen or something like that, and then it ended up in my friend's hands. Then, it happened across my little fingers, and now I have to figure out some kind of way to pay for one of my own! Never have a played a more resonant piece of Swamp Ash in my life. All of the Fenders & G&L's I've played don't even come anywhere near this thing. Yeah, I totally, get it, now. I was playing through a litte Marshall JCM combo, and was getting killer, controllable feedback, ON THE CLEAN CHANNEL! HELLO! I never, in my life, would've even thought this was possible. I really love my Fender strat, and as Fenders go, it's a very resonant body. But this is sort of like playing a...playing a...what I am guessing a chambered Koll or Soloway must feel like. I wouldn't know, because I haven't played either of them. After trying this Chapin, I am terribly afraid to, because I have a very addictive personality, but not the type of bank account to back it up. So hey Bill, nice work there, buddy! By hook or by crook, I will possess one of these guitars! OK, I'll calm down now.

Signed,
    Ruined for Life

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  11. flyingvees

Bills guitars are very simply familiar feeling shapes with superior workmanship , fit and finish...Not reinventing the wheel just polishing it and making it go faster....:AOK

12. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Is it a tobacco sunburst? If so, it was mine. UPS stole it and then put it on ebay. Your friend was kind enough to offer it back but the replacement was almost ready so I declined. Your friend got the bargain of a lifetime. It's nearly a year since it was stolen and I'm still waiting on the replacement.

13. Lance

Lance Member

Yeah, that's the one! Now I recall him mentioning the UPS thing. As well as offering it back to you. It sure seemed better than the couple of Suhrs or Andersons I've played. He did get quite the deal, and I told him that if he ever sells it, to get ahold of me. Sorry about all of the problems you had with UPS & whatnot, but I just had to gush about the incredible resonance of that body. If I hadn't held it, I wouldn't have believed it. It does look like you have some other really nice axes to keep your fingers busy. Let me get this straight, UPS stole it, and then THEY, themselves put it up for auction on eBay?! That just don't seem right, at all! I sure am glad I got a chance to play one of these very fine guitars, though.

14. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Hi Lance! I'm glad you liked the Stratahloula. It is the sweetest thing aint she? I bet it sounds sweet through the Princeton! I had a great time playing and the vocal harmonies are getting somewhere. You've been learning something in those bands that practice. This Chapin is Sofa King good man!

15. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Lance,

UPS's web site said the guitar was on the truck for delivery but it never showed up. Months later, it ended up in an auction house which put it on Ebay. So I'm calling it "stolen" and assume UPS sent it to the auction house. If UPS wants to correct me, that'd be great - because we were never able to get any information out of them. And "resonant" is a good description of all things Chapin. Enjoy!

16. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

"Stolen" is such an ugly word. Let's try "F'in' ripped off" instead, okay?

Anyway, glad it's found a good...

17. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Oh, and by the way...

IT'S NGD at DECAY'S!!! Woo Hoooooo!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

18. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Dave,

Thats cool. Specs and scoop please!!

19. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Josh - it's a fretless flattop Hawk, mesquite on mahogany body, blackwood on limba neck, mojo wiring, weighs 6 pounds. Yummy on slide, way cool with fingers, a very strong solid attack, and it sustains for days. Oh my... :)

20. flyingvees

Dave that looks awesome....I want to try that out at namm next year...I think Bill is starving the guitars at his shop, mine is about 6lbs too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.