Chapin Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by trisonic, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance

Lance Member

Hey, there he is. Sorry I couldn't reply until now. The board was down for a while, and I had to train someone this morning. I know I left my JCM @ David's, but I will definitely bring the Princeton to the next practice/jam. So, make sure you bring that Chapin, Buddy. I am dying to hear how those two will get along, as well. Yes, vocals. I just need to brush up on my David Gilmour a bit, and we can get on with Young Lust. I'm sure that Chapin will do a very fine approximation of the Gilmour tone. Geesh, next thing you know, I'll be shortening the whammy bar.

2. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Decay - gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

3. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Well, guys, a miracle has occurred. I bought the tobacco 'Houla Oct. 2005 and sent it back for a smaller neck Mar. 2006. Bill made a 2nd neck, wasn't happy with it, made a 3rd, and it blew up with the house in Apr. 2007. Bill sent the 'Houla with a 4th neck Aug. 10, 2007 but UPS stole it. Much paperwork and frustration ensued but today, 11 months to the day, the replacement arrived (sent by USPS)! I only had a few minutes with it on my lunch hour but it looks like Bill has done some amazing work, even for his standards. I'll post later with pictures & details.

Also, since some of us have a history of naming our Chapins: I picked up the guitar from the mailroom and put it in the car and, as I began the drive home, "I'm So Glad" came on the radio. It fit the moment and it was the theme song of my best friends' beloved dog, Beags, so that's the guitar's name.

Oh and the Fatline's due next week!

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Well, you deserve it, JB, after all the vicissitudes you've been through!
    Apart from a photo howzabout a clip through one of your Alessandros?
    Nevermind, enjoy your time with it - the name thing is interesting, would we do it if Bill numbered them? Probably. Many rare objects of desire have them...

Best, Pete.

PS I drove through Winslow, Arizona for the first time the other week - guess what was playing on Sirius...............

5. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

BILL SHIPPED ME THE WRONG GUITAR!! :eek:

I'm in Austin for NGW but had to go early for bidness, so instead of shipping one of my guitars down here (not a big fan of watching airline guys toss them around), I had Bill ship me one of my guitars he's rewiring. Carefully chose a strap that would compliment my red Lipstick-a-houla (shame I hate Strats...), came down here, did my bidness, and got a call from Bill - "you know, it would sound EVEN COOLER if we attached the rugalator to the frangus on a double-half-harness with a fanbelt on the fan deck for those fandangos you're into..." And of course, he's right. I think. If I understand exactly what he said. But that would delay shipping by a day or so (which I didn't have), so he said he'd ship something else.

It arrived yesterday. It's something else! The Les Paul killer - dark burst flame maple top, flame mahogany back, Spanish cedar in the middle, blackwood on (mahogany?) neck carve-top Hawk. Oh. My. God. This thing is frightening! Huge rich neck pup, snarly twangy bridge, lovely both, and it sustains for days. Oh my...

And yeah, I know it's worthless w/o pics, and I'll get one up in the next day or so with whatever camera I can get to work, but Oh My... Just hadda say, it's really a mind-blowing guitar. Doesn't go with my strap though. But I think it'll be okay.

I took it up to a friend's house last night. He's gone nuts buying guitars in the last year or so, and he has some good ones (might have to kill him so I can steal his rosewood MIJ tele...). I had the pleasure of watching someone who's never felt one of Bill's necks experience it for the first time. Just had to laugh. The hook is dangling, nice tasty bait, mmm mmmmmm... yummy...

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yep, that'll do it.

Btw that guitar is mine, please forward it immediately..............:D

Best, Pete.

8. flyingvees

flyingvees Silver Supporting Member

He sent the snakehead didnt he....Oh the humanity...

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yep, he sent the snakehead, Jason. :) You've had your hands on that one, haven't you?

I wonder whether he really has any silly notion that I'll ship it back to him when the class is over.

10. flyingvees

flyingvees Silver Supporting Member

No I havent....He offered to send it to me and I refused...I told him that everything he has sent has stayed and I couldnt afford to pay him for it and I knew that he wouldnt be cool with a hostage situation...

11. Mike

Mike Member

I sent him my Bloomy for the 3-year tune up. First he calls me and says, "Did you EVER change the strings on this thing??". I told him that I would occasionally scrape them down with Endust.

Then he calls a couple od days later and says, "My God, I didn't even recognize the board it was so filthy."

To which I replied, "Hey - has it been played or not?" :D

He couldn't argue with that. Not to mention filth is sort of a Tele tradition, right?

Then he calls and says, "I forgot about this guitar. It's a really, really good one."

Well, duh!

Mike

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Couldn't decide whether to respond to this with a "Thanks!" or a "YOUR LOSS!!!" :roll

Mike - Bill was cracking up on the phone with me talking about the state of your strings! I think he was worried about getting an infection... ;)

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on the new Chapin, D.
    Here's a photo you may remember:

[​IMG]

Good times!
    Digging the heck outta my new Stratahoula (obviously not the one above)!!!!
    Just TOO sweet!

S.
    j

14. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    nope, there was only one like that :D and it was the first to bear the monicker...

anyway, got back from trip to Orygun last week. had a luvly lunch with the Chapins. Spencer's a big boy now & sat next to me. Bill and Liz looking well. We talked about all the important things in life: music, musicians, instruments, the local scene - much to Liz's eye-rolling and Spence's insouciance.

later, having copped tips on where-tos, my little brother, his wife, his band leader, my ex, and my daughter all convened @ Duff's Garage for the weekly jam (Wed. nights) and were muchly entertained with jammeister Suburban Slim (Phil Wagner). excellent & original pickage. Bill arrived with Survivor Hawk (relic job courtesy of non-luthier utility & phone companies) and was in the first set of jammers, all good'uns, and acquitted himself admirably for several tunes, plugged directly into a Conrad Blues Jammer combo. i'd recognize his playing anywhere. but it was during the solos in the last tune, "Talk To Your Daughter" that he got *that* sound - it could only be a Chapin. all y'all know 'bout that.

if you're ever in Portland, definitely check out Duff's. if you get the chance, look for Kode Bluuz.

"yeah, man!"

must bike,
    :cool:

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Steve - in a modified form, that Chapin is in Ben Fargen's hands now. Don Mare Swing-o-tone pickups, no mirror on the pickguard anymore. What a fine guitar! But I'm especially glad you've got one of your own - you always seemed like a likely candidate for assimilation! :)

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Yes,
    I have most definitely been assimilated...and loving it!

:cool:

S.
    j

17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Hope all is well out there with my fellow Chapin owners!! Any new aquisitions?

18. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Gotta call out some more props to the Snakehead Hawk (which, um, is not going back to Oregon). I strummed a cowboy G chord on it yesterday, unplugged, with a fingernail, not even a pick, and was still feeling measurable resonance in the body 25 seconds later through my fingertips. Crazy!! :D

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I'm sure that thing is amazing. Now you have to send me your other hawk though, the one you had at NAMM!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.