Chapin Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by trisonic, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Not sure who invented it. I called it the Buzz Kill for months before someone corrected me - it's the Buzz Stop, I believe. But I kinda like Buzz Kill... :)

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    and bless you, too :dude

yowzah :agree

:cool:

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Hep me! HEP ME!! Bill just shipped me back my red Lipstick-ahoula drenched in about a gallon of secret sauce!!! :eek:

He rewired it with the Harmonic Accentuation Device wiring on steroids, every combination of pickups known to man in every permutation - and all on a 3-way switch! (Well, plus a pull-pot or two... :) ) Plus a new Wilkinson bridge, plus a heapin' spoonful of mojo-fairy dust, and damn, I hate Strats, but damn...!!! :(

What a neat guitar! I'm working on a clip to show what it can do w/o even touching the volume knob or the 3-way (or the amp) - it sounds like 4 different guitars on the track. I'll try to get it online tomorrow as soon as I edit out the more embarrassing clams.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Now damn it all David ...
    You could have shown that baby to me yesterday at the Market ...:)

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Joseph - that had actually been my plan, but it just arrived today, so short of bending the space-time continuum, which of course I'm willing to do but only in a good cause, not really possible! :)

We gotta get together again real soon now and do some show and tell. There's bunches of toys you should check out, and you got a bunch of stuff on that mini-travel-board of yours that I'd like to hear in a more controlled environment than the semi-truck parking lot!

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

So here's the clip I whipped up. The left channel rhythm config is the same throughout, but the lead on the right channel changes pickup configurations 3 times. All without touching the 3-way (in the all-the-way right position), no changes to the volume knob, just playing with the tone pots.

All into the Swart SST30, gain and tone at 1:00, volume dimed, 'verb and trem depth at 10:00, trem speed at zero. AxeTrak for a speaker/mic setup.

Welcome to the noodle shop!

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks, David, very useful.
    I was toying with the idea of having "Hank" converted when he goes back to Bill for his 10K mile service, frankly I may not now. It seems too bloody complicated for my head and one of the things I like about "Hank" is the purity of it's sound (it does already have the option of switching in the Neck pick up for Bridge/Neck or all three).
    It also provides a nice alternative to the powerhouse which is inherent in "Patrick" with it's midboost. Can you still get Stratlike "quack"?

If I didn't already own "Patrick" then, yes, I get it.

Best, Pete.

8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Member

heard, then played the lipstick-houla last night. stunning. :banana

9. stan p

stan p Member

I have never seen any of his Novax-fretted guitars. I saw this option available on the old website.

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Hey Pete - it is complicated - I had to spend quite a while tapping pickups with a key to try to figure out what each setting did when it first arrived, and I was cracking up the whole time. Basically, I wouldn't use a lot of the sounds on it (not a Strat guy, but it does have some quack positions), but I can find them if I need them. I'm more likely to use it for the really beautiful and character-ful cleans in a couple of positions, and those are set up so they're easy to get to.

I'm just happy because I think Bill is really pushing the envelope of what can be done with the electric guitar and it's fun to share in that. And the feel and playability of the guitar are off the charts besides. :)

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Agreed. We're lucky to have the option.

Best, Pete.

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yikes! Bill passed through town, rewired the Lola-houla -
    [​IMG]

- and dropped off the rewired Chiro-caster -
    [​IMG]

There are no words to describe just how freakin' BIG the Chiro-caster is. I mean, I mean, it's just freakin' BIG. I laugh every time I pick it up - guitars should not bend light or cause your clocks to run in reverse, but ol' Rosie is so massive she just does. But then you plug it in, and then you apologize to the neighbors for blowing the shingles off their house. :eek:

Seriously - when Bill showed me what he'd done to it, plugged it into the Swart, gave me the tour, I'm thinking, yeah, big and meaty. But today I plugged it into the same amp on the same settings as a bunch of other big chunky toned guitars, one right after the other, and the sheer size of the sound coming out of the Chiro was mind boggling. And strangest of all, totally clear sounding, not an ounce of mud, clearer than the Snakehead or the Lola with the boost engaged, and louder than both.

I'm about an inch shorter from playing it on a strap for a while (had to - I was losing feeling in my leg playing sitting down), but what comes out of that guitar is worth a fair amount of pain and disfigurement. ;)

The Lola-houla with the new Harmonic Accentuation Device wiring is just a smile generator too - all the sounds I loved before, plus the secret sauce to surprise and delight the unwary. I mean, I hate strats of course, always will, any right thinking person does. But that one might be sneaking into my number wuh - wuh - er, into a highly favored spot in the rotation. :)

13. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Member

so...it'll be interesting to see which one(s) you bring over tomorrow...:band

14. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Our tech team has informed me that the slowness we have been experiencing on TGP appears to be caused by some of the huge threads we have on the site. We are closing the mega-threads and I am requesting that the thread starters begin a new thread....sort of a "xxxxx thread, Part II". Sorry to do this, but if the huge threads are the thing that is causing TGP to become so sluggish at times, we need to break the threads into Part I, Part II, etc. We'll see if this works. Again, our apologies. If it turns out that the mega-threads are not the cause, we'll unlock them and merge the other parts back together.

Thanks.........Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.