• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Chapman of Chapman Guitars - what is the issue?

Simto

Imagine if tgp was in yt format.:facepalm
This site definitely has it's horrific moments, but I'd say the youtube comment section is one of the blackest pits on all the web lol.

But neither Pete nor Denmark realise that. Yet!
Us Danes aren't the smartest types around. Pete looks happy though, living the dream. I'm jelly hehe, but I barely have 1% of his musical talent.
I always love hearing when he says something Danish in the Andertons videos and everybody looks at him like he's from Mordor or something lol. I got the same vibe when I said something Danish when I was living in London lol.

JPenn

youtube must've changed up their payment policies in the past couple of months. the "social media influencers" (1st heard the term a couple of weeks ago and hate it!!) are taking shots at one another not just in the gtar community, but i've seen it in the yt fishing community.

like anything normal people have access to use....some folks really don't need to. they don't really think before they hit the upload/post button

uab9253

i can totally understand why Riff City wasn't amused by Rob's comments. By all means they took the high road when Rob moved his business to Guitar Center. But now to have Rob come back and treat Riff City like it was some sort of charity gig is very condescending and disrespectful.
I find I often like Youtubers when their channel starts, but then they have success and too often it goes to their head. Not only that but all their material becomes biased because manufacturers now start to take an interest in them and start buying their opinion. I had my fill of Rob long ago.
I'm up to 2100 subs and even I feel myself becoming more and more pompous by the day. It's not pretty but it's "my truth" lol

brain21

Don't know if it has been posted elsewhere in this thread, but Chapman responded to a lot, but not all of the issues here a few weeks ago. Take it fwiw.

He doesn't address the riffcity thing, but let's be honest, bad business decisions are made by good people all the time. Unless Chapman or RiffCity did anything in a deliberate and malicious manner, this is a complete non-issue unless you will be doing business directly with either part .

dwk302

Well it’s not exactly like that. It seemed the band had said on social media about their stuff being stolen. Fans asked if they could donate to help, so the band set up the page. They didn’t just ask for donations. Their argument is fans wanted to help, so they said let them.

Of course, I personally wouldn’t be showing my fans I bought a PRS just days after people had been donating to a band. Not that the purchase and donations are linked, just that it’s 99% of the donators probably aren’t able to drop 5k on a PRS.

To be honest, the worst thing is Robs wife asking fans to donate towards as a second singing lesson for Rob with some coach and that the gift would be made into a video along with a big birthday card from all the donators. Anyway, the video, card and lesson never happened and the crowd funding page just got deleted, with no future information on what happened to the money. Rob never countered this point in his reply video either, just ignored it.
That’s incredible! Chapman guitars are cheap junk.

its linked under guitologist video, some interesting stuff in it, like when chapman asked fans to pay for their stolen gear on tour, and then bragged about paying 5000 pounds a week later for a prs.
I looked at the video for that and it seemed like the fundraiser was more for the other guys in the band and not Chapman himself. It sounds like some items were simply not covered by insurance for whatever reason.

And I'm pretty much thinking that that PRS he didn't pay full price for - he has plenty of connections due to his association with Andertons (and both Lee Anderton and Danish Pete Honore have both received free PRS' from Paul himself due to their promotional efforts on his instruments).

So while it was probably not free, it also very likely wasn't 5k as indicated.

OPENYOUREYES

Chapman is a one trick pony player - Danish Pete is the man - he plays it all IMHO and no Mega Ego
agree with this statement. Rob is boring to watch and listen to and a tired player: one who plays the same riffs over and over and always thinks he is "cute" funny and clever.Sometimes he may be clever but his projection of this makes it lame.
Success doesnt always touch the more talanted people in life.

Yamaha 350

Not and you must have never played or touched one. Most guitar players never touch the stuff they complain about. So and so said. The video said. I asked in the thread and most said junk. So thank you for that responses so I do not have to waste my money. No I decide for myself and try the brand out. 500 dollars is not cheap to me. And his 800 dollars is not cheap to me. Or his 1000 dollars. I try to get expensive gear used at a great price.

He found a new factory to build them they way he wanted at difference price points. I could find a bad Gibson and say based off that one guitar that Gibson is junk. But I won't. Why? I love old vintage Gibson's and some new one's.

weedzzz

Not and you must have never played or touched one. Most guitar players never touch the stuff they complain about. So and so said. The video said. I asked in the thread and most said junk. So thank you for that responses so I do not have to waste my money. No I decide for myself and try the brand out. 500 dollars is not cheap to me. And his 800 dollars is not cheap to me. Or his 1000 dollars. I try to get expensive gear used at a great price.

He found a new factory to build them they way he wanted at difference price points. I could find a bad Gibson and say based off that one guitar that Gibson is junk. But I won't. Why? I love old vintage Gibson's and some new one's.

I’ve tried a few Chapman’s and weren’t impressed. I think initially they were a good idea. If you see the early Chapman guitars, their price point was in line with Epiphone and the higher end Squier’s. It seemed a good alternative around that price point.

But now they upped their prices a lot and made a pro line of more expensive models. Now they’re essentially charging a fair wedge for some strat, tele, explorer rip offs. At their current price point, you could just find the real thing.

I don’t think they’re bad guitars per se. I just think initially they had a nice little niche of making guitars for an affordable price to most that competes with other affordable guitars. Now they seem to be just competing at a price point against superior guitars they’re basically copying.

Also, if anyone does get a Chapman, i hope they never intend to sell it. The resale value on those things is awful. I’ve seen quite a few for sale and the seller can barely give them away. I’ve seen them listed about a quarter of the original prices and still no takers.

dirtcheap

I have played a couple of chapmans and they were pretty awful at that price point. They were fairly new models so maybe the first or second year ones are "better"? The designs are very average so I am not sure why anyone find the guitars appealing, again at that price point.

A better guitar all the way around is the Solar by Ola. Its still just another Ibanez ripoff but at least the design is "trying" to pull away from the average design. If you are looking at chappers why not step up to the real thing? Is the reverse headstock really that big a deal? Id rather find an old Kramer, or hell a newer Gibson Kramer for the Kewl headstock.

Last edited:

Yamaha 350

I have played a couple of chapmans and they were pretty awful at that price point. They were fairly new models so maybe the first or second year ones are "better"? The designs are very average so I am not sure why anyone find the guitars appealing, again at that price point.

A better guitar all the way around is the Solar by Ola. Its still just another Ibanez ripoff but at least the design is "trying" to pull away from the average design. If you are looking at chappers why not step up to the real thing? Is the reverse headstock really that big a deal? Id rather find an old Kramer, or hell a newer Gibson Kramer for the Kewl headstock.
Then why at TGP dose a high dollar builder make Gibson and Fenders clones at 3000 up to 5000 like Tom Anderson and they get a free pass and that is OK. But Rob Chapman cannot do it without getting flak from TGP community?

dirtcheap

Then why at TGP dose a high dollar builder make Gibson and Fenders clones at 3000 up to 5000 like Tom Anderson and they get a free pass and that is OK. But Rob Chapman cannot do it without getting flak from TGP community?
I dunno........have you played a 3k Suhr lately? How bout a Jennings Tele? I have played quite a few. The list of high end copycat gear is getting longer by the day, that is true but you gotta understand that cream rises to the top and wheat gets separated from chaff ........right?

Get back here and defend chappers when you have played around on those 3k clones.

DeadLazy

They aren’t. For each respective price range, they’re solid instruments. I like the design concept, though aesthetically they aren’t my thing.

On the entry models, they put the money into he things you can’t so easily alter and expect you’ll modify the things that are easy down the road.

Modifications aren’t my thing, either.

They’re solid guitars and it seems like they’re improving. I’m amazed someone managed to jump into the market the way he has.

I play Fenders. Strats. Chapman is way outside my box. I got it because I didn’t want an Ibanez; Gibson; LTD, or any of the clones.

DeadLazy

Any of these multi millionaires starting a go fund me page is beyond weak.
That just makes me shake my head. I don’t think he was being dishonest but is he the cheapest man alive? That’s just a little funny. And how the hell can you be stranded? I don’t know about anyone else, but traveling long distances on tour and I got back up plans all over the place.

All the same, who he hell cares?

This is a bit sad.

Zado

Chapman guitars are not garbage, in my experience they quite in the same league as other WMI imports. I just dont happen to like any of their designs, they look generic to me.

xmd5a

Don't know if it has been posted elsewhere in this thread, but Chapman responded to a lot, but not all of the issues here a few weeks ago. Take it fwiw.

He doesn't address the riffcity thing, but let's be honest, bad business decisions are made by good people all the time. Unless Chapman or RiffCity did anything in a deliberate and malicious manner, this is a complete non-issue unless you will be doing business directly with either part .

He mentions a couple times his fans spontaneously wanting to buy him gifts or fund him monetarily. The thought must cross his mind that these fans are just money on the table and he'd be a fool not to take it. Theres nothing wrong with being successful he says. Its all gravy. He never speaks of refusing anything for any particular reason.

What's also strange is his fans apparent belief that he needs gifts or money. Do all YT personalties get rained on by their fans, or is there something unique about his brand that invites it? Is it his disheveled style? Is he like a religious figure to some?

Trending Topics