Charango?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by DaBlizzardofOz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I'm interested in picking up a charango, but I have no idea where to start. I'm not looking to spend too much, but I know most of the cheap ones on ebay arent even intended to be played. Anyone have any knowledge they'd like to share in the area? It seems most of them are made in south america and I really have no information regarding any of those builders

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

You're right in that most eBay charangos are essentially MISP's (Musical Instrument Shaped Products). Even aside from a playable neck straightness and angle, you're not even guaranteed that that the frets will have any sensible spacing behind them.

I'm sure there may be some cheap ones out there that actually work, though I don't have any specific ones to recommend. Elderly's does have a few decent ones around $300, but I don't know if that lines up with your price goals for a cheap introductory instrument.

3. s5c6ihLW50

s5c6ihLW50 Member

I have one. But... I had someone who was visiting Cochabamba to take his Uncle (some famous South American guitarist) down to the marketplace to hand pick one for me.

Still smells funky though after 15 years! The intonation was good if IIRC, haven't picked it up in many years. It is 8-string (4 pairs of two).

You can't click the link below, you have to cut and paste it into the browser.

http://members.tripod.com/~ceng/charangofront.jpg

4. drive-south

drive-south Member

Bob Brozman sells them via his site. Click on instruments and scroll down a bit.

http://www.bobbrozman.com/links.html

I have no idea how these play, but Bob generally endorses very good products.

drive-south

5. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I would tend to trust Bob, so I guess I'll check that out & maybe look at elderly. I think $300 is reasonable assuming it's a decent instrument

6. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

$300?
    Wow...my sister in law brought me one back from Peru a few years ago and I've never paid any attention to it!
    Please give me an example of where I can here one (a recording)....maybe I'll play around with it for a while. Or decide to sell it!
    Is it difficult to figure out? I recall it had a weird setup for the strings.

7. drive-south

drive-south Member

Bob Brozman has used them on his recordings. Check his site for info on which recordings feature them.

drive-south

8. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

Thanks....will do.

9. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member