Charge Pump/Voltage Doubler: which one is best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flatscan, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

A number of charge pumps/voltage doublers are on the market. Brands I've heard mentioned include:

Godlyke ISO-Pump/Charge Pump [same thing?]
    Disaster Area DVC-18
    xotic Voltage Doubler
    Cioks Charge Pump
    TGP Member Sonic VI [contact?]
    Logsdon Audio
    Max 1044
    Madbean?

Any feedback per which are:

* Safest for pedals/power supplies
    * Quietest
    * Flexible in terms of voltage increase
    * Current capacity (some only offer 80 ma)

Thanks for your help!

2. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

This is way too complicated a question to actually answer. "Best" can mean lots of things here. Do you need something small or is size not an issue, something that can produce a lot of current (some solutions can't supply above 20mA), something with a particular switching frequency to avoid heterodyning with another clock signal, something that doesn't require its own power supply, is it going in an already-built pedal or something being built from the ground up, do you need to buy it off the shelf or can you built it yourself, and is cost a factor?

3. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

Didn't he stipulate factors which would represent "best" to him in the OP?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Yes, he specified a few parameters, but only some, and they weren't specific requirements. It's still a very complicated question, so you need to know precisely what it's being used for and what the requirements are. He didn't mention what pedal he wants to use it with -- how can anyone tell him whether it's "safe" for instance?

I could point him to a charge pump that will give him +15V/-15V and source a few hundred milliamps, is very efficient in terms of current draw for the voltage it can supply, but it's the size of a wall wart and costs $15. Or I could point him to the LT1054, which is a chip that only costs a few dollars and a small circuit, and can source 100mA, but it's switched, not the most efficient in terms of voltage conversion-to-current draw (drains a battery faster), and theoretically could heterodyne with certain types of clock signals. The LT1054 can supply up to +30/-30 if you use a 15V regulated adapter and double both power rails, but then you might have problems filtering the power supply, which could introduce noise. Murata has some very, very small bricks about the size of a capacitor but they aren't very efficient (bad for batteries) and require a 5V regulators and can't source very much current at all.

I use the LT1054 but that doesn't mean that it's the best for every application.

By the way, the op said "some only source 80mA" -- that's actually VERY GOOD in charge pump land. Many practical solutions don't source above 20mA.

5. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

You know a lot more than me so will leave it to ya! Interesting stuff....

6. JSteed

JSteed Member

My DVC-18 has powered my DMM without a single issue for a few months now.

7. Flatscan

I am confident that I "don't know what I don't know" per my post and am grateful to all for their help.

Jon and Co. I'm interested in something relatively small that would connect to already-built pedals and isolated power supplies without damaging the pedals or generating noise. All the pedals in question reportedly can run at higher voltage but I'm wary about frying them.

Cost is important as I could always just buy bigger power supplies. I'm enamored of the notion of taking a PedalPower2+ and running lots of pedals with more headroom.

The pedals in question are principally Catalinbread drives/delays but also some other drives and specifically an EHX Polyphase [24V].

Aside: I am impressed by how much better some pedals sound at higher voltage.

Thanks again.

8. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Do you have a courtesy outlet in which you could just plug a Dunlop 18v adaptor?

9. Flatscan

I want to charge up a number of pedals but yes I do use the Courtesy Outlet where I have one.

10. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I'm going to give Xotic a go to power my OCD and free up an outlet on my power supply.

Eddie's has a deal list on TGP somewhere with a Xotic EP booster AND the charge pump for something like $116, I'll likely go that way...

11. Tbig

Tbig Member

I've used a Godlyke for about 3 years now. It powered my DMM with no issues but it didn't agree with my Catalinbread Echorec at 18v and added some noise. The Godlyke can do 12,18,and 24v.