Charlie Christian neck pickup in a Tele...school me and what's your go to pickup?

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Platinum Supporting Member
Title says it all. Looking for thoughts, comments and opinions on running a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position of a Tele and which ones have you tried and what did you stick with? Thanks!

guitarmook

I've been through a few of these, and always go back to Biltofts.

For me, the Christian (especially the Biltofts) are like a fat strat neck pickup. Thick and chewy, but cleaner than a p90, with a nice ring when clean.

Here's the one I've been playing lately, pine body, set-up as a tele. I used a strat body because I had a baritone neck on it for a while, and wanted to counter the neck-dive from the longer scale.

Here's another parts guitar I built several years ago. Let my singer borrow it one night, and she wouldn't give it back, made me sell it to her.

Cornbread

Another Vintage Vibe (Biltoft) user here. CC Rider combo neck and bridge.

Love the sounds I get from both.

Kelsey

Martin Guitars in Memphis has a limited run of G&L ASAT Classics with Lollar CC neck pickups and standard G&L bridge pickup. I haven't dared to try one yet for fear of GAS, but they look cool as cool can be.
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer from prior dealings.

zztomato

I've had a VV CC rider and a Lollar CC in a humbucker size. Loved the sound of both. Absolutely hated the strong hum from them. Without a doubt the most noisy single coil pickup ever.

jbraun002

I've got a Lollar CC in humbucker format in my tele. Sounds great. zztomato is right - they've got substantially more noise than some other pickups.

It sounds absolutely wonderful for jazz.

It can sound good for other stuff too - but imo jazz or clean'ish playing is where they really shine.

somecafone

Martin Guitars in Memphis has a limited run of G&L ASAT Classics with Lollar CC neck pickups and standard G&L bridge pickup. I haven't dared to try one yet for fear of GAS, but they look cool as cool can be.
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer from prior dealings.
SOB!!
I had a dealer contact G&L to do this very thing.
They told me to get stuffed.
Actually, they didn't. They simply declined saying they didn't do that type of custom work.

I can't help but be a bit put off none the less.

Now off to Martin site...

Ruraltom

My very first decent guitar -a Warmoth, 'hog-bodied, all maple necked, dual hun-cut 'Tele', built in the late 80's- currently sports a Gibson P92 in the bridge and a Vintage Vibe H-sized C. Christian in the neck. Finally found a perfect combo there... nice hot and fat bridge and a nice sweet fat mid-rangey neck, nice honky, funky tones in between. Really covers a LOT of tonal variety.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Lollar, which came in my guitar. Never tried any others. Strong output and I like the tone—mellow sounding trebles yet clear and defined low notes. Noisier than other pickups, I guess, but usually not a problem.

Here's a clean tone vid I made a few years ago. Phone video, so less than ideal. Sounds fatter in person.

Trending Topics