Charlie Christian Pup in a Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Greg, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Greg

Greg Member

I'm looking for ideas on pickguard colors (white? black? tortoiseshell?)

Let's see 'em.

Also, how do they sound compared to a p-90?

Greg

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I LOVE mine...! Mine's one of Pete Biltoft's (www.vintagevibeguitars.com), and it is bigger, rounder, and with more sustain than a typical P90.

In fact, I'm getting ready to build another parts Tele with one... the next one will be a white blonde, blackguard,w ith a BIG, assymetrical neck with a rosewood board...!

[​IMG]

3. drolling

drolling Member

Dave, that's one sharp lookin' tele! Could you tell us a bit about the rest of the guitar? Looks like it might've started out in life as a '52RI, but specifically I'm interested in that leopard-skin pickguard.. didn't see that on Pete's page.

I'd also like to know about those compensated saddles. They look a lot like the Glendales I've been using since last year..

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

dave...you are the man! the new tele will kill im sure....

5. Greg

Greg Member

I can't see the picture! what am I doing wrong?:(

6. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

You can see it if you quote the post then copy/paste the IMG link into a new window (without the IMG tags)

I have a hankering for a Chuck Tele too...

8. Dave Orban

Started out as a Nash body. Neck is an Allparts neck, I believe, and the bridge pickup is a Duncan Broadcaster, which sounds rather anemic, in comparison to the CC. Waiting on a new bridge pickup from Pete, better matched to the CC.

The guard is real celluloid from Luthier's Merrcantile (http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondproducthead.asp?CategoryName=Pickguard+Material); it's very thin (really for acoustic guitars) and backed with an adhesive, so it's been laminated to an ivory singly-ply material, and trimmed to fit...

9. Greg

Greg Member

That's a beaut, Dave.

The one on deTemple's website is also stunning.

10. Dave Orban

My inspiration... ;)

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

Here's my CC Tele with 4-way switching. I like it alot, but not as much as........
    [​IMG]

12. mainsale

mainsale Member

not as much as........................this one with Fralin P-92 in the neck and a Blues Special in the bridge, all with 4-way switch and PigTail vintage bridge with compensated saddles. This is my favorite Tele from a tone standpoint!
    [​IMG]

13. Greg

Greg Member

Mainsale,

Can you describe what you like more about the P-92 over the CC? Is yours a Lollar CC?
    Also, what's the bridge on those guitars?

thanks,
    Greg

14. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Following this thread w/ interest---especially would like to know what would be a good match for a neck CC, as far as a tele bridge pup, and have it still sound like a traditional tele in the middle and bridge positions---is that even possible w/ a CC neck??

ac

15. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

I have a Lollar CC in the neck of a tele. It has a beautiful big, round, high output sound. It didn't pair up well with a '52 Lollar pickup in the bridge output wise so I did go with the Lollar special tele bridge pickup. The bridge pickup by itself has a great traditional tele sound with just more output. Perhaps a bit more mids than a traditional tele pickup but mostly I just noticed the output. Sounds amazing. The guitar can still get great "regular" tele sounds in the bridge and is great for blues sounds as well. I haven't tried many of the other boutique pickup makers so I can't make fair direct comparison's but I can highly recommend Lollars for the CC or any tele pickups. The p90's as well.

16. mainsale

mainsale Member

Greg,
    The bridge is a new one from PigTail Music. I like them alot. My CC pickup is from Jaso Lollar and is paired with his Special-T bridge. 59Deluxe described it tone quite well, and it was my favorite Tele until I stumbled upon the Fralin P-92. It sounds like a phat, noiseless P-90 but with better string articulation and improved sparkle and snap. It works really, really well in the neck of a Tele and eliminates the mud associated with pickups in that position. I matched it to a Fralin Blues Special which is a little hotter than a standard Tele Bridge but not too hot to lose the "Twang". Comparing it to the Lollar Special-T, I favor the Fralin BS because to my ears it sounds a little richer, phatter, fuller and thicker. 4-way switching is also a big part of this guitar. When people hear both pickups in series, their mouths tend to drop open. I'm keeping both guitars because they are different sounding, but if I could only keep just one, it would be the one with the Fralin P-92/Blues Special.
    :BluesBros

17. Dave Orban

The P92s look like they draw from Lindy's old Domino pickups that used to be in the PRS EG models. They were great-sounding pickups, too...!

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've never played a CC p/u in a tele, but would dearly love to do so. My '39 Gibson EH-185 lap steel came stock with that p/u. It's a whole different experience, so fat and wide you'd think you were playing a B3. It's hard to separate the p/u sound from the unique aspects of steel playing ... whatever, it definitely does not sound like a P90 to me. Mid-rich, not quite the punch and power of a P90, so is less likely to crunch at higher volumes, a thick sound but not as throaty as the P90. Soars and sustains. The thinner strings of regular guitar might change that somewhat. I'd still love to try.

19. Dave Orban

They're good. REALLY good.

Of course, that's just MY opinion... ;)

20. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member