Charvel DK22 SSS Roasted Maple - part with my SoCal for one?

1973Marshall

So here's the deal... I LOVE CHARVEL on every level but I am really not a SuperStrat player on so many levels.

Sometimes I am asked to lay some 80s metal vibes for select tracks or I need a Strat that plays a little more slick than my vintage reissue and the Charvel SoCal is awesome. I replaced the Seymour Duncan Distortions with a JB / Jazz combo and love it.

On the other hand, I don't dive bomb and I hate changing strings on a Floyd. Problem is I bought one of the best SoCal's I ever played last year. It's the purple sparkle with the ebony finger board. So smooth! Neck is perfect, not too thin and not too thick. The next best thing is some high priced USA model or another brand.

Then they launched the DK22 SSS. I had been heavily considering the Charvel DK24 Roasted Maple and the only thing that stopped me was I somehow preferred the HSS AND they came in god awful colors like Shell Pink and Fanta Orange.

The DK22 comes in black which is perfect for me. It's SSS with a Hot Rail which is more my vibe and it doesn't have a Floyd.

I do NOT need 2 Super Strats. I am torn. One guitar I have in hand (SoCal) and man it is a killer guitar. It's not my primary axe by any means but I do fear selling it and not finding one quite like it. However on specs alone the DK22 "seems" more what I would normally play.

What would you do? It's hard to try anything right now. Also, part of me wonders if the fact the SoCal isn't my normal type of guitar is a smarter thing. There's value in owning something completely different than the same old Strat, LP and Tele.

Matt L

Yes, you sound like you don’t need or want a Floyd Rose or fun colors in the first place, so go for it.

Warkli

I'm also in the market for that DK22 SSS. Finally market have a worthy option for traditional players searching for a modern strat type guitar.
Sounds like you found the best neck profile for you. But only the floyd rose itself would make me change it. I would go for DK22. Their neck is not so different from SoCals

CanuckChris

Few things to consider with the DK22

1. It's still super-stratish. Hotter pickups, single coil sized HB in the bridge. Neck profile, frets, etc.
2. The reverse angle bridge pickup. Haven't had a chance to try one yet, but it's likely going to alter the sound.
3. Body shape is different from your So-Cal. Slightly smaller, and more angular.

What I'm suggesting here is to try before you buy. On paper, the DK22s look great to me as well, however they may not suit you from a playing perspective.

If you love your So-Cal, a couple things you can do:

1. Lock you FR into place.
2. Switch out the pickups to a SSS or HSS configuration (one of the benefits of having the pickguard loaded electronics on the So-Cal).

Either guitar is great, but I wouldn't go and sell your So-Cal immediately in favour of the DK22, especially if you haven't tried one out to make sure it is the better option.

biter

I agree with the previous post
Try before you buy, or we'll end up with another I regret selling my guitar thread..

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
I'll third the try before buy. But yeah I dig that model! Personally I'd like the pickups to be more towards a "normal" strat. I'd do DiMarzio FS-1 in bridge and two more trad sounding ones for middle/neck.

1973Marshall

Few things to consider with the DK22

1. It's still super-stratish. Hotter pickups, single coil sized HB in the bridge. Neck profile, frets, etc.
2. The reverse angle bridge pickup. Haven't had a chance to try one yet, but it's likely going to alter the sound.
3. Body shape is different from your So-Cal. Slightly smaller, and more angular.

What I'm suggesting here is to try before you buy. On paper, the DK22s look great to me as well, however they may not suit you from a playing perspective.

If you love your So-Cal, a couple things you can do:

1. Lock you FR into place.
2. Switch out the pickups to a SSS or HSS configuration (one of the benefits of having the pickguard loaded electronics on the So-Cal).

Either guitar is great, but I wouldn't go and sell your So-Cal immediately in favour of the DK22, especially if you haven't tried one out to make sure it is the better option.
Are SoCal models a swimming pool route? It would be cool as an HSS someday.

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
I just found this thread and I'm in a similar situation. I'm debating between a SoCal and a DK22. I honestly prefer the looks of the SoCal but not much of a Floyd guy (although at times it's fun). OP, what did you end up doing?

Trending Topics