Charvel DK24 - no pickup springs?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lns, Sep 21, 2019.

1. lns

lns Member

just noticed that my Charvel DK24 has no pickup springs around the screws that connects it to the body; instead it has some sort of rubber underneath the pickup.
    The pickups got stuck so I couldn’t raise them so I checked what was wrong. Never had a guitar with direct mounted pickups before - is this normal?

2. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I don’t know if it’s normal on a Charvel, but I have heard of people using a small rubber hose piece in lieu of springs. I don’t know what the advantages or disadvantages are for the rubber mounts are.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Rubber pads under body-mounted pickups aren't unusual. I've seen several, but I don't know enough about that style to say whether it is the typical method.

willyboy likes this.
  4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

There's nothing unusual about it. Lots of guitars with pickups mounted that way.

Phil M and willyboy like this.
  5. lns

lns Member

Another strange thing is that the neck pickup has a sticker saying Full shred Bridge & the bridge pickup has a sticker saying APH 1N neck

But I think both are actually Full Shred Bridge pickups :D
    It never occurred to me to unscrew the pickups & check the models or check against a picture of the pole pieces - judging from which, they both look exactly like Full Shred pickups.

The guitar is supposed to have an Alnico Pro neck pickup.

How to make sure? Are the pole pieces always as they appear on SD’s product photos or do they ever change them for special runs?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. willyboy

willyboy Member

I have a ProMod and a DK24 and they both use foam under the pickups in place of springs. As far as I understand this is a common method. Sometimes the pickup gets hung up on the wood screws that are used to mount the pickups. Just pull up on the pickup and that will usually allow the the pickup to move. If you have the pickups out of the guitar you can always drill the holes out in the pickup a little bigger to allow it to move more freely as well.

7. lns

lns Member

Can you do me a favor?
    Can you check whether the pole pieces are hex screws on both the bridge & neck humbuckers on you DK24? (Assuming you have the HSH or HH version)

8. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Telecaster bridge pickups use rubber. At least the ones I’ve owned.

willyboy likes this.
  9. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

That’s pretty normal to have rubber underneath direct mounted pickups. That ensures that the pickup will fit snug when screwed down.

10. willyboy

willyboy Member

Sorry unfortunately I have the HSS version. According to the pics though on Charvel's web site both pickups have allen key pole pieces. Sounds like your pickups were installed in the wrong positions unfortunately, though it would be easy enough to fix that

11. lns

lns Member

Just back from switching the pickups positions & I suspect it’s the same pickup, but that it’s mislabeled.
    It’s either that or Seymour Duncan made a ‘custom’ Alnico 2 Pro with Different pole pieces just for the Charvel DK24 HSH/HH.
    All DK24’s i’ve seen have neck HB’s with the same pole pieces. Even in Charvels own photos & videos.

Alnico 2 pro;
    [​IMG]
    Full Shred;
    [​IMG]
    DK24 2PT HSH;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. Mincer

Mincer Member

Confirm by checking them on a meter.

13. lns

lns Member

I need to buy or borrow 1 first

Much of the point of this guitar is having a lower output neck pickup to go well with the single coil.

14. Mincer

Mincer Member

My initial thought is that it is a sticker error on one of them, at least.

15. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

I have the rubber tubing on my pickups on my Player strat, so not exclusive to just direct mounted pups. It was the first guitar I had with this system, but it works just fine so I'm not in a rush to replace it with springs. My question is whether the tubing will dry out and crack over time, but it's an easy fix if that happens.

As for the pickup configuration, could be a sticker error. However, SD and other pickup companies definitely make pickups exclusive to a guitar company. Usually this is in the colour (e.g. the green Fishman Fluence pups on the Charvel Satchel model), but may extend to the pole pieces. Mostly for aesthetics. As noted above, check using a voltmeter. Dead simple to do without having to remove the pups.