1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Charvel goodness

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Darl, Nov 19, 2017.

1. TonyBony

TonyBony Supporting Member

That is a bloody gorgeous guitar!

skhan007 likes this.
  2. Registered User

Registered User Member

Nice. I had the exact model for a short time around 1991. It had one of the nicest necks I've owned.
    I wasn't thrilled with the Jackson pickups, and the Kahler trem had a minor problem staying in tune. I was about to spend money on it when a very nice, used, 1987 USA custom bolt-on Jackson came up for sale at a local shop, so I sold the Model 3 for a few hundred bucks to a friend to scrounge up cash. I'll get another one one day

This is the only original photo I have of my Jackson before I altered it ("butchered" it?) by putting in extra pickups, then a scratch plate.

It's got an original Floyd Rose, rosewood fretboard, standard nut width, and came with a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion. I swapped the tone control for a tiny switch that did nothing, just for looks. :D

When metal guitars quickly became unfashionable in the early '90s (especially in Australia), courtesy of Kurt Cobain (mostly), I was worried that my 'headbanger' Jackson would hurt my chances of getting jobs. To make matters much worse, poker machines became legal in Victoria at the same time, which killed coverband venues, literally overnight. So, I thought I'd increase my chances of getting work by having a more conservative-looking Jackson.

I first put another humbucker in the neck (and obviously a 3-way switch), then I got another pickup for middle, a scratch plate and a 5-way. Then, right.... believe it or not, I took off all the paint. :(

I should've left it with the 2 humbuckers. Ah well, it's still a great guitar, and I'll never sell it.

The Jackson cost me $1800 Aus in 1991. I've done some Googling, and I gather that was about $1400 USD at the time, which is $2535 USD in today's money. That was a reasonable deal back then, because US-made Jacksons weren't easy to get here back then, especially with a real Floyd Rose

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    kushman likes this.
  3. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Beautiful guitars for sure! What is the nut material on the early ones? From the pic it looks like they carved it from a strip of rosewood? Hard to tell...

4. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

At that time, the nuts were made from phenolic - a material that was also used to make printed circuit boards.

5. foxyguitars

foxyguitars Supporting Member

all real all original 1982 Charvel Strat Head Beauty ...
    don't let the single coils fool you into thinking she is a hot rod: all 3 pickups are the old Dimarzio FS-1 fire breathers :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Coolidge, RickC, Stu Cats and 7 others like this.
  6. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

They look like Duncan's to me. The tooling for DiMarzio bobbins is smaller and slightly more rounded at the edges. at least thats how i remember them.

Bobby D likes this.
  7. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

so many beautiful Charvels in this thread!

Charvel is the epitome of the California hot rod guitar. I have owned probably close to 100 Charvels and Jacksons over the years - most of them are now in collections like Tracy Jenkins has. I owned the prepro HRF that was built for Jeff Beck, but ended up being Mike Eldred's main player guitar for two decades. that particular guitar is one of the best sounding and playing Charvel guitars I have ever seen, and currently resides with a very happy current owner who will probably keep it until he sheds this mortal coil. it is a solid MAPLE body so it sounds great but weighs about 11 pounds, so i couldn't gig with it.....

here's a great video that came up in my youtube search results today:

Stu Cats and Darl like this.
  8. Registered User

Registered User Member

skhan007, did you change your mind about posting those photos?

9. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Sorry- Just getting permission from my friend. He just got back to me and stated he was OK with me posting. He just wanted me to state that some of these have been sold and may be with new owners.

Here are some pics! These represent a *fraction* of his incredible collection. I've played many of them and it's overwhelming to be in the same room with so many beautiful and rare examples of old Charvels. Most of these date between '78-'85. I was lucky enough to buy the one in the first photo on the left, called a "solar" finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

All the cool graphics, fancy figured tops, binding and all that and there's a puddle of drool on my keyboard due to that bad ass black 1 hum with maple neck. That's the type of Charvel I always wished I could hunt down. A Floyd would make it more perfect, but as is I'm still in love!!

Ayrton likes this.
  11. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Agreed- That one is killer. One of my favorites in the bunch is the one in the second to last photo on the far left. It's black with the "schematic" graphic. That one played like a million bucks. Had a birdseye figured neck, as well. While I love a nice floyd-equipped guitar, those vintage brass trems sound AMAZING.

12. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I used to have an AH model Charvel in red. I met Allan Holdsworth once and told him I regretted selling it. He said he regretted selling his also. He kind of drifted away for a second before saying "lovely guitar."

Ayrton and HelloKittyHawk! like this.
  13. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I believe that black one is actually dark purple if it's the one I used to own.

14. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I tell you, that's one of the best little holdsworth stories I've heard. Amazing to have shared such a moment with the master.

John 14:6, Ayrton and HelloKittyHawk! like this.