Charvel Govan: European Distribution Failures?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesyboy1, Jul 18, 2015.

1. bluesyboy1

bluesyboy1 Member

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine has recently posted regarding his experience with Charvel's European distribution of the GG model (or lack thereof) here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...rie-govan-model-updated-with-details.1596567/

This is, in short, travesty. Letting people on the other side of the Atlantic wait for over a year and then ship a handful of guitars that fail to pass the quality inspection? Does Charvel Custom Shop think that people outside of America will ever trust them again enough to "pre-order" their guitars?

I'm horrified and demand a word of explanation. Apparently, Charvel has failed to provide explanation to the European Fender dealers, which is even more mind-blowing.

I have no doubts that the GG model is a fabulous guitar—that, for goodness' sake, is the reason why 70 people in Europe have ordered it! This is especially ironic in view of the endorser's country of origin.

Please, do chip in and let's talk about this. Charvel/Fender Custom Shop needs to respond or else their trust could be seriously impeached on our side of the Atlantic.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    terje_t likes this.
  2. terje_t

terje_t Member

For anyone following this story, here's a quick status and update:

To summarize the situation to date, I have been waiting a year and a month for my Charvel Guthrie Govan signature model to arrive. Original ETA was December of 2014, so we are now at a full seven months behind schedule. The lack of information along the way, with delay after delay, has been frustrating but it has come to a head the past month.

I've been told that one month ago, a guitar meant for me failed inspection upon arrival in the Netherlands and was forwarded to a Charvel repair shop in England. All traces end there. Fender Scandinavia seems unable to get Charvel to give them any information, and no one wants to give me a new ETA or even say if the guitar can be fixed at all.

On top of it all I was told several times along the way that my guitar is among the first shipment to Europe. Something which has been proven false by helpful users here on TGP. Maybe not a big deal but it doesn't help my feelings towards Charvel/Fender/Norwegian retailer.

So lately I have:

* Gotten a short reply from Charvel on their FB page, no info
    * Written to Fender Consumer Relations, cc to Fender Scandinavia. No reply.
    * Written to Charvel Consumer Relations (again). No reply yet (wrote last night)
    * Been calling the retailer every week for an update. No info.

As I said before, I feel like I should probably just cancel my order at this point. It would be the right thing to do. But the heart wants what it wants, so for now I'm sticking with it.

Any other ideas for what I can do to try to get in touch with the right person or get some better information?

3. terje_t

terje_t Member

I get what you mean, bluesboy1, but just to be clear: when I ordered last June it was not called a preorder. They had been taking preorders for a while before that but the guitar was officially released some time in spring '14 I think. I just wanted to make the distinction, since I specifically did not order until it had been officially released.

It took a while to develop after all, so I wasn't prepared to wait an indefinite amount of time...

4. bluesyboy1

bluesyboy1 Member

Well, that's even worse, isn't it?

Bradleyonmic and terje_t like this.
  5. terje_t

terje_t Member

Figured I'd post another update, even though I don't have much news.

I have written a new post on Charvel's FB page to try to get their attention. If anyone feels like going over there to support it with a like or a comment that would be much appreciated:

https://www.facebook.com/charvelusa/posts/10153290702811387

Aside from that, I have no news from the shop here in Norway, no news from Fender Scandinavia and no reply from Charvel on the 5th business day after I contacted their consumer relations email.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

I don't know why American companies feel they are superior to European companies. To me, it's the same joke as thinking our leaders are smarter then other leaders.

7. terje_t

terje_t Member

I don't know about American leaders or companies feeling smarter than the rest of us, C-4, but no worries: there are four companies involved here, two American, one Swedish and one Norwegian. Any one of them has had ample chances to step up and have failed to do so.

C-4 and milli vanilli like this.
  8. lestera34

lestera34 Member

@terje_t posted on your Fb post, good luck.

9. terje_t

terje_t Member

Cheers, man. Much appreciated!

10. Devnor

Devnor Member

Why not just cancel and buy something like a Vigier - which is probably a better guitar anyway?

lowyaw likes this.
  11. terje_t

terje_t Member

That's a question I have asked myself a few times along the way, @Devnor. I don't much like the shape of the Vigiers but there is not a shortcoming of good alternatives (The Suhr from your Avatar for example). For now I can only repeat myself: "It would be the right thing to do. But the heart wants what it wants, so for now I'm sticking with it.".

That said - the attention here and on FB seems to have maybe given results. I'm supposed to be contacted by the head of Fender Scandinavia about the matter. Will keep you posted.

milli vanilli likes this.
  12. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Its been this long, I'd stick it out a bit longer. "the heart wants what it wants". Hopefully someone gets involved and cuts you a break as well...

terje_t likes this.
  13. s2y

s2y Member

Plenty of solid alternatives out there. I'd probably do that over Charvel because I'd want a few small tweaks.

14. Lance

Lance Member

terje_t likes this.
  15. terje_t

terje_t Member

For me, the main differences are: looks, roasted wood on the Charvel, new locking trem. Aside from that, see above ;)

By the way, the Charvel price has been raised over USD 1000 since last year, at the time I ordered. So there isn't a cheaper Suhr GG to be had for me.

16. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Ouch,what a ****** situation.

I see Sweetwater have them listed, but not in stock. At this point I'd probably contact them and see if they could help getting one. I bought a Fender CS from them back in 2000 and their service were really good.
    Worth a shot if not else.

terje_t likes this.
  17. Sancho

Sancho Member

I also threw in my two cents on your facebook post.
    It's ridiculous. The fact that nobody can be bothered to reply to your inquiries, is a big red light.
    Can you still cancel? Or are you dead set on getting one?

My communications with American corporations have had varying results.
    Europe is still being treated like a market of secondary importance by most.

terje_t likes this.
  18. terje_t

terje_t Member

Thanks, @Blix. With the dollar->krone conversion going the way it has over the past year (USD 1 was NOK 6 last year, over 8 today) and the list price of the guitar going up I'd be taking quite a hit changing shops now I think.

I see that you are from Norway too. I have been reading up on the consumer law here lately and I have been wondering if I actually might have grounds to make what's called a "dekningskjøp"; cancelling my order for breach of contract, purchasing the same item somewhere else and getting the original supplier to refund me my loss, which would then be the difference between the two. I'd be wary of getting into any sort of legal battle though so I would probably just look for something else if it came to that.

19. terje_t

terje_t Member

Thank you, @Sancho! It means a lot to me that people support my case :) :)

I think I would have good grounds to cancel at this point. I have paid a 10% deposit which I would demand back for breach of contract.. Going a bit back and forth each day right now if that's what I should do but at the moment I'm still leaning more towards sticking with it. I've waited so long.

Then again, maybe some time it's time to stop digging the hole you're in ;)

I haven't noticed this before personally, but it worries me to hear. Of course, most purchases just go ok without any problems, it's only when the problems show up that you really notice good or bad customer service. My dealings directly with American companies have been mostly with smaller ones, ordering speciality items, and have been exclusively good as far as I remember.

I have to admit though - this whole saga puts a proper dent in that impression. But as I said before, I don't know who's really at fault here. Ultimately Charvel, I guess. They make the guitars, they've failed to ship on time, and now they've shipped faulty guitars. Fender Scandinavia has claimed that they are not able to get Charvel Europe on the phone or get any feedback from them.

20. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

That really sucks. I can't believe they aren't kissing your ass with free t shirts etc. since you've been soooo patient. Hell, if they take much longer there will probably be a newer version out, and you might rather have that one. Your doing the right thing, the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I commented on the FBook link for you.

terje_t likes this.