Charvel Pro Mod Mexico models What am I missing??

robbph37

I realize this line is not a top of the line USA or custom shop model. However I am a heavily influenced 80's style player. I love the looks of this line. I love the bright colors (I would get a red,pink and neon model in a heart beat) and the entire design. These look really nice to me. Pick ups attached to the body,lining around trem cover and the paint jobs seem to be solid. Im sure the hardware is not top quality but still. I want to get one but at $869 the snob in me is saying"it can't be very good if it is not $1500 or more from the USA line. What do you all think? Anyone have any experience with these?

randall g

I played a few at the Namm show - not plugged in, but I thought they played very well - very comfortable with great necks.

robbph37

they appear to be a well made,affordable guitar. I am trying to be careful just to make sure they are not poorly made.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
If I could get my hands on one to try out, I'd probably grab one. Just haven't seen any in person yet.

Willicat

I have a USA San Dimas Style 2
I also have a Mexican So-Cal Super Stock in Silver
Recently sold a Japanese San Dimas Style 1 and a Wildcard #5, played both for years

To be honest there is absolutely no discernible difference between the USA, Japanese or Mexican Charvels.

Never had or played a custom shop or an original early 80's so those I cannot compare.

Bottom Line: Treat yourself to a very well made Mexican Charvel

BMX

I owned one for a while. Didn't like how it sounded but that was my fault because I loaded it with Dimarzio Super Distortions. (I dig Dimarzios, just not the super distortions in that guitar for some reason-could have been the amp I was using). The only caveat with that guitar is that it was kinda heavy. Other than that it was a great guitar. Not as refined as an Ibanez Prestige but a great rock n roll guitar.

robbph37

I have a USA San Dimas Style 2
I also have a Mexican So-Cal Super Stock in Silver
Recently sold a Japanese San Dimas Style 1 and a Wildcard #5, played both for years

To be honest there is absolutely no discernible difference between the USA, Japanese or Mexican Charvels.

Never had or played a custom shop or an original early 80's so those I cannot compare.

Bottom Line: Treat yourself to a very well made Mexican Charvel
Thanks for that. its always good to hear from hands on experience. I have not been able to check one out yet at a big box store.

BMX

Yeah, I don't think the country matters. Guitars are relatively easy to manufacture in the great scheme of things and are built to a specification. I wouldn't worry about it being made in Mexico.

Thanks for that. its always good to hear from hands on experience. I have not been able to check one out yet at a big box store.

I have one of the USA made San Dimas models. After playing each version (Mexico, Japan) I find very little difference. Maybe the neck finish? As far as I know the specs are still the same - just different country of manufacture.

You may be overthinking this. The current versions are far from substandard. Get one and have fun!

Rufus

Platinum Supporting Member
I have one of the USA made San Dimas models. After playing each version (Mexico, Japan) I find very little difference. Maybe the neck finish? As far as I know the specs are still the same - just different country of manufacture.

You may be overthinking this. The current versions are far from substandard. Get one and have fun!
Yeah, I think they are fantastic guitars for the 80s rock thing. Don't worry about where they are made. I have tried USA, MIJ, and MIM San Dimas guitars and they all rock. The USA and MIJ models have slightly nicer finishes on the neck (IMO) but the 2016 MIM models have better features (coil splitting and easy truss rod access). I did not notice any "inferior quality" issues with the MIM I played. In fact, I really, really liked it. If it hadn't been a hardtail, I probably would have bought it on the spot.

Shine

I had a USA model in 2010 which I sold and I have two MIM San Dimas models. The only difference I can tell is the neck on the MIM is not a smooth and the frets don't have that rolled feel on the edges.

morgan918

I've been eyeing one of those silver sparkle finish ones. Just seems awesome and everyone should have one shredder.

Willicat

I've been eyeing one of those silver sparkle finish ones. Just seems awesome and everyone should have one shredder.
So-Cal Super Stock. I traded my Wildcard #5 for one straight up with someone on the Charvel Guitars Group on Facebook this past summer.. Its a great player, not a fan of Duncan JB's though but it's a great plaer, great frets and neck and looks great when the lights hit it

morgan918

So-Cal Super Stock. I traded my Wildcard #5 for one straight up with someone on the Charvel Guitars Group on Facebook this past summer.. Its a great player, not a fan of Duncan JB's though but it's a great plaer, great frets and neck and looks great when the lights hit it
I wish I could try one in the wild but haven't seen any around :-(

FWIW I bought mine thinking it was a cheap way to try out the format (neck shape, frets, finish, floyd) and since then I've sold a CS Strat and Historic goldtop LP because the Charvel feels and sounds so much nicer to me.

I did have to smooth some minor fret spout and had the frets polished, which made the neck just perfect. Plus out of interest I added a SD RTM in the bridge, which sounds great but to be honest the stock pickups and electronics were good already.

Still can't fault the Floyd either. Not sure how a German version would improve on it.

I've played a couple of Custom Shop Charvels since and to be brutally honest am not sure I can point out a rational shortcoming of the MIM in comparison, other than cosmetics (birdseye neck vs plain; paint edge around Floyd recess is arguably a little rough).

It's turned out to be the best guitar I've ever bought in terms of pure playing enjoyment/dollars spent ratio.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
I had a MIJ San Dimas from a few years ago that I never bonded with. I recently got a new 2015 MIM San Dimas as part of a trade figuring I'd sell it. So far though I'm loving the MIM one! I might end up keeping it. Totally didn't expect this to happen after being dissponted with the Japanese one.

AdmiralB

If you can't tell the difference between MIA/MIJ and MIM, you're not trying very hard.

MIA/MIJ have pitched necks and top-mount Floyds, and undercut fret tangs with backfilled slots. MIMs have parallel necks with recessed Floyds and tangs to the edges of the board (and usually not very well-rolled edges).

The MIMs are nice guitars. The MIA/MIJ are, IME (two MIA, one MIJ and a handful of USA CS guitars) in another league from a fit/finish/attention to detail perspective and are pretty close to par with the CS.

SV5150

Silver Supporting Member
I recently bought a MIM 2016
San Dimas
Heres what I did to mine straight out of box

Reset the floyd rose intonation
Lubed the studs
Tightened the studs with one wrap of plumbers tape
Replaced the trem claw screws with heavier duty ones
Replaced the springs with less stiff ones
Rounded the fret ends
Put a treble bleed ( auditioned a few Used 1000pf cap in series with 150 resistor.

Sounds like a lot. Took maybe two hrs.
Now its a monster player, stays in amazing tune, and can be very versatile in a single channel high gain amp. Neck feels great!

Only gripe is ,I wish the middle was two humbuckers , not split inner coils with the vol knob pushed in. I'm too lazy to pull soldering iron out again. Anyone know if thats a quick fix?

Trending Topics