Charvel Signature Models For 80's Tones: Satchel vs Danhage

Slammin Mofo

Has anybody had the chance to compare a Charvel Danhage to a Charvel Satchel model? Both are built in Mexico, AFAIK, but the Danhage is a bit more pricey.

Does the Danhage have a bit more mojo due to the passive pickups? Is the playability similar on both guitars? I did read a few good reviews of the Fishman Fluence Classic set and, in voice 2, it should sound very close to the JB, but I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to such claims.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
You bring the mojo, not the pickups. Only you can decide if you want active or passive.

Biggest decider imo would be the ugly relic job on one, vs the ugly tiger stripes on the other.

Slammin Mofo

You bring the mojo, not the pickups. Only you can decide if you want active or passive.

Biggest decider imo would be the ugly relic job on one, vs the ugly tiger stripes on the other.
That's why I'm asking if anybody has tried both guitars, that way one can be certain that the player mojo stays the same, while the instrument mojo varies.

Tone is partially in the fingers, I agree, but there's a reason why certain players prefer a vintage Les Paul to a new one and it's not just some unsubstantiated BS.

Space Jazzer

For pure 80s metal I would go for the Satchel. Beefy yet clear humburcker tones in both neck and bridge. I have a lot of experience with the regular Fluence set and as much as I’ve been sceptical about active pickups, they’re simply among the best pickups I’ve ever played regardless of category. They’re like an open canvas for your own mojo. The Danhage is cool but the relic job is not really a relic job, it’s more like a stenciled pattern with a few dings added. Reverse headstock is cool though, no doubt. There is a substantial drop in volume between the pickups in the Danhage, and the DiMarzio Area in the neck is very bright due to both pickups being wired to a 500k pot.

So, again I would go with the Satchel. Better specs in my book. But I applaude the rather unique take on the Danhage. I wish more guitar makers would loosen up and release quirky stuff like that.

Misterbulbous

yeah same here. I actually called Charvel and asked if I could get either one in a "normal" finish and the reply was "no".

Slammin Mofo

For pure 80s metal I would go for the Satchel. Beefy yet clear humburcker tones in both neck and bridge. I have a lot of experience with the regular Fluence set and as much as I’ve been sceptical about active pickups, they’re simply among the best pickups I’ve ever played regardless of category. They’re like an open canvas for your own mojo. The Danhage is cool but the relic job is not really a relic job, it’s more like a stenciled pattern with a few dings added. Reverse headstock is cool though, no doubt. There is a substantial drop in volume between the pickups in the Danhage, and the DiMarzio Area in the neck is very bright due to both pickups being wired to a 500k pot.

So, again I would go with the Satchel. Better specs in my book. But I applaude the rather unique take on the Danhage. I wish more guitar makers would loosen up and release quirky stuff like that.
What about the playability and the overall quality of the instruments? Are they on equal footing in that regard?

sutherland

Silver Supporting Member
80s tones? The Danhage has the JB, so that would be my huckleberry between the two. I would swap the Dimarzio for a Duncan Stack.

Platevolt

Has anybody had the chance to compare a Charvel Danhage to a Charvel Satchel model? Both are built in Mexico, AFAIK, but the Danhage is a bit more pricey.

Does the Danhage have a bit more mojo due to the passive pickups? Is the playability similar on both guitars? I did read a few good reviews of the Fishman Fluence Classic set and, in voice 2, it should sound very close to the JB, but I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to such claims.
Both are cool but a regular san dimas can really do it.

dangeroso

I’ve never played the Satchel, but I own a Danhage. It’s a really great guitar. I need to post a video and do a legitimate review but I’ve owned 4 Charvel San Dimas guitars and this is by far my favorite.

The relic body is kinda silly but the worn neck is amazing. It’s easily one of the most comfortable necks I’ve ever played. Pickups are great as well.

E63-AB3-FE-70-C0-4-B0-F-8-B6-B-CE6-C1-C2-BD7-F0.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom