Charvel So Cal Pro mod opinions

6Tones

Kicking Tires on the Charvel HH So cal with the pickguard..

Whats your opinions on them? Over priced? Worth every penny?

Are the Made in Mex ones as good as the older ones? Decent woods or multiply bodies?

How are the pups? Versatile tones or more Hotrod rock tones only?

Any other guitars in that range thats cheaper but has Floyd/traditional strat shape/ Hum Hum ? Carvin bolt?
(besides Ibanez)

LagunaMan

Overpriced, imo. Check out kramer classic pacer, it sounds better to me plus it's half the cost. None of these guitars sells with original german made floyd rose bridge. So there's no point in spending more than the one with the floyd special.

Eagle1

The Floyd special has zinc saddles not steel like this OEM Floyd. The Mex Charvel is good at the price maybe not quite as well built as the Japan one but feeling more like the USA ones.
A German block, arm mech and bolts for the Floyd render it practically identical in performance. All in all a great guitar with a fantastic neck for next to no money.

Eagle1

Oh and three piece alder body , good. Quarter sawn compound radius neck very good .

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
They are good, and way better than the Kramer Classic (which I own), the Kramer comes with crap pickups, not Duncans like the Charvels, and the body wood is some mystery mahogany.
I upgraded mine with great pickups and a OFR, but I hindsight I'd much rather have a Charvel.

Matt L

Yeah, the Charvel is way better than that Kramer Classic. The Kramer Vintage is a little closer in price and quality, but I'd still pick the Charvel.

The MIMs don't seem to be quite as nice as the USA or Japan versions, but still pretty decent overall. I had a So Cal HS HT that really didn't blow me away. I'd rather have an original shredder from the '80s for the same price.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I've got one of the MIJ ones from when you could still find them NOS. I have played a couple of the MIM ones, and from a playability standpoint, they were the equal of my MIJ (which is very good). I didn't go over the MIM ones close enough to judge the finish.

On my MIJ, I've added a brass block, coil tap, and different pickguard in H/S configuration. Bridge is the stock Tone Zone, neck is a DiMarzio Fast Track. Very versatile 80's shredder - much more comfortable to play (for me) than an Ibanez.

Surfreak

The MIMs don't seem to be quite as nice as the USA or Japan versions, but still pretty decent overall. I had a So Cal HS HT that really didn't blow me away. I'd rather have an original shredder from the '80s for the same price.
An original Charvel San Dimas strathead from the 80s will cost you several multiples of the price of these MIMs...

Matt L

An original Charvel San Dimas strathead from the 80s will cost you several multiples of the price of these MIMs...
Sure, but that's not even what I was talking about. I'm talking about any number of guitars you can get for under $1000 from the '80s.....Kramers, Peaveys, some Hamers, later Charvels, ESP, etc.

Rumy22

Charvel is a player's guitar. Pro mods play so well. I have mia and mij versions. The mim so cal is different in it has seymour duncans instead of dimarzio pups. Any new axe is overpriced. A pro mod plays great. You will be excited about playing.

Nahte

If you look around you can find some very good deals on the new ones. As in at least a hundred under the usually listed price of $800-850. Used can sometimes be half.

At those prices it was very much worth it. Total rock machine. Even though I've got superstrat guitars well covered in my little world, I had no problem pulling the trigger.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
Kicking Tires on the Charvel HH So cal with the pickguard..

Whats your opinions on them? Over priced? Worth every penny?

Are the Made in Mex ones as good as the older ones? Decent woods or multiply bodies?

How are the pups? Versatile tones or more Hotrod rock tones only?

Any other guitars in that range thats cheaper but has Floyd/traditional strat shape/ Hum Hum ? Carvin bolt?
(besides Ibanez)

I bought one earlier this year, used Mexican So-Cal Pro Mod.

In my opinion after playing it for the last 6 months:

Pickups? Duncan Distortion set = hotrod rock. They do Van Halen, Montrose, etc. very well. Subtle blues? Passable if roll 'em back but not ideal.

Neck/board? Excellent. Fat and wide enough to play all kinds of lead lines all over the neck but not too flat to hinder also playing chords. Very comfortable to play. I wish all my guitars had necks like these.

Body? I have no clue what ply or how many pieces nor do I care. It's black. It sounds great and is not too heavy.

+ locking nut + FR bridge/trem. The guitar stays in tune for days at a time.

What it is: an excellent rock machine.

What it's not: a versatile instrument for all styles with a zillion tonal options. It's not a DGT. To change up your tones you need to work the volume knob, your picking technique and location, and of course your pedals/amps.

I picked mine up for ~$600 and it's a beast. Worth every penny.

FractalGarden

I have a MIJ SoCal. Didn't think much of the Dimarzios. Swapped them out for some custom pickups, and now it's my shredder/lead guitar for tracking. It's also my one one in E Std with 9's. Truss rod adjustment's a little wacky since you have to remove the neck, so I just left it in that tuning with those strings. Not sure if that's any different with the MIM ones. In any case, the SoCal is a great guitar. The raw maple neck is niiiice, and mine was built like a tank.