Chase Bliss -Are they getting stale.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Uncle Mike, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

All,

So many great thoughts and positions. I especially like the "fair is fair" post.
    Truth be told, I really like the CB pedals, the analog sound is for me perfect. I think the other stuff was a bit intimidating but none the less very cool if one takes the rainy day time to learn what can be done with it.

2. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

I’ve been tempted to buy their products several time, but every time I ask myself: why should I pay extra money for extra features I’ll never use?

But you know I play mostly blues and for my tone I need few options.

808, Vhailor, MoarGear and 2 others like this.
  3. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I think CBA pedals are among the freshest designs out there. I think Joel is literally always thinking outside the box (pun intended). EQD is another company that continually pushes the envelope.

Abram4235, vlammie, hippieboy and 9 others like this.
  4. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Definitely not stale. The emporium is just illustrating the flavor of the month chasing that tends to happen here, as others have pointed out.

Several posts in the Volante thread, for example, have been some iteration of "I don't quite understand - but I preordered" and talk of having to sell off some kit to pay for it. Which in 3 months they'll repeat for the next hip item.

One of the most innovative companies out there, and didn't Condor, Thermae, and Dark World all drop just last year?

5. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

TGP needs to implement the "mega like" button. I'd have clicked it for this.

6. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

I like that there are classic sounds and experimental sounds possible in all of Joel's designs. I'm still finding new and interesting sounds all the time, for example I've had the Wombtone for a couple years and recently realized (from a thread asking if it was possible) that it can get into ring mod territory.

I also have much respect that he's created things he didn't expect to and collaborated, such as Brothers and Dark World. Brothers might be my all time favorite dirt pedal as well.

7. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Too fiddly and expensive for me. More time tweaking, less time playing IMHO.

morgan918, Arcadia, 808 and 3 others like this.
  8. David Moylan

David Moylan Member

I'm curious how people feel about the form factor. Visually, I always have a first reaction of "man, those footswitches are close together" followed by "is that a toggle switch between the foot switches". Has anyone had problems with either of those issues in actual use? Maybe I'm just paranoid and fat-footed.

Snufkinoob likes this.
  9. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

From my own perspective, this is it.
    I find I look for pedals that do one or two things Really well, then I set them to do that one awesome thing and leave them.
    Pedals that have unlimited feature sets on them may be a tweakers paradise...
    But how often can you really be playing guitar if you're tweaking the pedal all the time?
    And if you found that one fantastic setting, why not just have a pedal that does that?

I get the tweakers' paradise thing, and that's great, I'm just not one of them.
    I'd rather have a dozen different pedals that are set than one pedal that tries to be a dozen different things I guess...
    I think they're a fantastic and very innovative company, I'm just not their target market.

I imagine people who have them as kind of 'hey listen to this (knob tweak), and listen to this (more knob weak), and this (more knob tweak)'
    But they're not playing music, they're just tweaking pedal knobs...which is really just playing around, like a toy, it's not serious.
    I know that is a very crappy picture to paint and probably wrong, but that's how I view CB type of pedals.
    It's just far, far more than I need to find a particular sound I might be looking for.

Lt Dak, 808 and Snufkinoob like this.
  10. (Something)

(Something) Member

Same. I've played a few and watched demos of just about all of them. Without exception, I've thought the pedal was cool but would be absolute overkill for the things I would use it for.

11. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

OP,

The premise of your statement is flawed. Emporium listings have more to do with people chasing after the next shiny object, or people realizing they just bought a tank when what they really needed was a regular car.

Most people will have no use for the extensive tweaking potential of CB pedals. They probably won’t have the patience to arrive to those sounds either. Nothing wrong with that!

Also, and I am sorry to say this, most hobbyists out there are not interested in creating new things. This is why we have soooo many pedals out there advertising how close they can get to “so and so’s” iconic album tones (and why there’s still quite a market for it). Most people out there want to emulate an already iconic sound.

Full disclosure: I know Joel. We hang out at NAMM. I have demoed stuff for him on my YT channel. So, take this with a grain of salt:

The genius of Chase Bliss is that Joel has effectively turned his pedals into instruments themselves. You need to really get down to that kind of attention to detail to get the most out of each pedal. Sure, you can just get a classic sound out of them and go with it. But the fun is in the chase (and why the company’s name is so damn accurate!). To find a wonderfully weird noise and turn it into music. To see how the audience (or even your bandmates) react to it. Now, how many people would respond to that? I am not sure.

Deep down (and this is coming from a somewhat cynical, ‘professional’ musician point of view), I feel most people buy pedals for the instant gratification factor. You could say some go on a tone quest because it’s more immediate and rewarding than practicing your instrument for hours a day.

If this assumption is true, then I don’t see most people dedicating a lot of time to learn the pedal and treat it like an instrument. Shoot, that’s why there are so many used Strymon Timelines out there! Let me tell you, that pedal has been out for a while. People still come out at the end of my shows and ask me about a specific delay sound they heard. It’s all in there, man. You just gotta tweak the sh!t out of it!

Overkill for most, sure. If you’re trying to play Zep, or Hendrix. I am not.

12. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

@David Moylan I've never accidentally stomped on the preset toggle between the switches, that might happen if one lost balance or stomped really hard at a weird angle, but it would be difficult. The bypass/tap switches are close and may not work for everyone's needs. But I've found that I'm more likely to hit the switch accidentally on a CBA pedal when I engage another pedal of similar height that is too close next to it, more so than between the double switches on the CBA itself. But I've stopped cramming pedals so close together in general.

You can also use a laser pointer and get a cat to bypass everything for best results :anon

13. guff

guff Member

Don't matta. I would build an all CBA board but currently lack the budget to make it happen, so I'll bide time and rock what I've got until an opportunity emerges

hippieboy and MoarGear like this.
  14. jwny72

jwny72 Member

Great post. I agree. Especially want to point out how essential having a midi controller is for getting the most out of CBA pedals. The ability to save and recall presets via midi, in a small form factor, analog signal path pedal, is nothing short of revolutionary.

Great post. Re: gain/volume changes between presets. Yeah, that's an issue, especially with analog modulation pedals. I have a G2 switching system, which has a means of setting "output level" on a preset by preset basis with total, fine control. The "Post Gain" feature is a master volume for each preset. Without that, I'd experience unacceptable difficulties like you describe, where erratic volume changes would make the full implementation of the range of effects possible, impossible.

So, needing a midi controller and a switching system that allows for storing volume levels per preset, sets a high bar. One sees many more pedalboards with integrated switching systems and midi controllers these days though.

I'd be stoked to see Joel Korte make a move like Elon Musk and allow the "digital brain, analog heart" idea to be "open source", so to speak. Wouldn't it be wonderful if say a Foxroxx TFZ2 could store midi presets too, or a Metal Zone, for that matter?

FbIsNotE, Abram4235 and XeMeme like this.
  15. saltbird

saltbird Member

I have only tried the Warped Vinyl MkII and the Brothers and I can say that both of them sounded good and had a bunch of flexibility. That being said, once you find the few go-to sounds that appeal specifically to your tastes, you learn there are simpler and more inexpensive options that can also nail those few sounds to some degree (albeit with less overall flexibility to achieve other tones.)

What I'm getting at is I think a lot of the people who end up adding a Chase Bliss pedal to their rig, eventually become honest with themselves that perhaps its flexibility extends beyond what they actually need in reality. Therefore, they have a bunch of extra money tied up in tone options they don't use which could be better allocated towards something else that they would use.

cosmic_ape and XeMeme like this.
  16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Good luck with your bulky reverb tanks and tape echo's.

PaisleyWookie and XeMeme like this.
  17. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

Nice - I use Disaster Area for midi and switching due to foot print. I never gave the unity setting on the G2 much thought (I dont own it), but I now see how that could be incredibly useful.

18. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

o_O Like bread or popcorn? :munch

MoarGear likes this.
  19. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I do think the footswitches are too close together. I have the Tonal Recall RKM and the Brothers. Both are controlled by MIDI, so it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. There are times, though, when I want to manual control the Brothers, and it can be tricky hitting just one of those footswitches. I also personally don't love the dipswitch thing. There really a pain to operate when the pedal is mounted to a board, and they have a dramatic effect on the overall tone. Personally, I would prefer a large format with easily accessible knobs, switches or button for everything. The way some pedal designs are nowadays reminds me of the old "cheat codes" for video games where you have to all sorts of research to really get full use out of them. Bad industrial design is pretty prevalent in the industry at large, imo.

20. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

They seem like something you'd have on hand at a desk rather than an effects pedal at your feet. I guess making them as pedals rather than rack or synth modules was just the profitable way to go?