Chase Bliss -Are they getting stale.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Uncle Mike, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

I think of the CBA pedals as instruments.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I'm too lazy for multi-FX unities or learning about MIDI programming and interfaces - I don't have the time nor I can justify getting into it. I'm more a set-and-forget/plug-and-play guy.

I own only the Warped Vinyl and really like the couple presets I have on it. I really considered the Spectrum, but I'm not very keen on keeping changing settings on pedals.

However, if CBA made a multi-FX with all his modulation pedals and programming possibilities into it, I'd be strongly tempted to buy it. (If you ever make it, please put a FX-loop so that it can be used with the 4-cable method with a real amp! If it allowed to choose which effects would stay in front of the amp and which ones would be after its preamp, that would be great. In my old BOSS GT-3, it's possible to define the order of the effects and where its FX loop is placed, but I don't know if it's possible only because its effects are digital.)

morgan918 likes this.
  3. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Very well said! I applaud his pedals for breaking new ground and for the audience that loves then but, like you, I try to keep it simple.

Like for delay, I have two: An MLJr that’s pretty much always on and a Pink Panther for more ambient stuff (I know both are similar-ish but that’s the way I use them). I have tried and returned/sold so many pedals that I’m tired of the game and am happy with the simplicity of what I have.

But, at the end of the day, whatever pedal inspires you to play (CBA or otherwise) is the best pedal for you!

awallace likes this.
  4. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Some had already mentioned part of what you said above, but I really had to quote this because only hitting 'Like' wouldn't be enough to let you know how much brilliantly you happened to put it into words.

5. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Thanks. I adore my RE-201 and Spring Reverbs. They sit with my guitar heads, and are no less transportable.

6. wajobu

wajobu Supporting Member

Lest anyone gets the wrong impression from my two comments above, I think that Joel Korte has done an incredible job building a company from scratch, with really innovative products, whether they are everyone's cup of tea or not, doesn't matter.

I suspect that before long we'll see a guy like Joel start other divisions in his company putting his innovative mind to work on other products, since his analog heart digital mind angle has applications in many other industries. My advice to young entrepreneurs is always: stay nimble, keep innovating, and like investing...diversify your business.

vlammie and MoarGear like this.
  7. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I agree and embrace those wholeheartedly. I own several, myself.

Vhailor likes this.
  8. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

They are amazing. I have to cover a lot of ground within a set and because you can recall presets via midi, they are incredibly versatile for the size. Brothers is a great example. I can go from clean boost to ugly fuzz by changing presets. I was underwhelmed by the dark Work and sold it after a couple of weeks. Just another reverb pedal...everything else has been gold.

9. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

Did you run your Gravitas at 18V? I found it cleaned up the sound considerably.

MoarGear likes this.
  10. MicroSyntax

MicroSyntax Member

No. I still have to turn on my Tonal Recall every day or so, just to hear the sound of the repeats. They are so pleasing and chewy. I don't do this with anything else really.

MoarGear likes this.
  11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I've always stayed away from the Chase Bliss stuff for a few reasons... actually the the same reason that keeps me from a lot of pedals.

If a pedal has more than a few knobs and is built on the principle that you can get a ton of tones out of it, I need a few things...

- A screen. I know MANY of you don't see this as an issue, but I really find my creative -> technical -> production element really starts to fade when I can't easily "see" what's going on.
    - Presets via an up/down type switch actually on the pedal. Ala, Strymon Timeline etc...
    - The Chase Bliss Trimmers being on the back of the pedal are not the best once on a pedalboard. I'd hate that if I had to put the pedal in a spot where I couldn't get to the trimmers that easily, I'd have to rip it up a bunch.
    - Delays having actual BPM measurements... on the screen (screen again I know)

These are just my general observations, and what suits me of course! YMMV.... I know a ton of guys/gals who LOVE them. I adore their pursuit for the different and interesting!

I had a very similar experience with the Meris Polymoon. Man, I wanted to love that pedal. To have to buy and use an external MIDI switcher to really use the full potential of the pedal and then not having a simple way to "factory reset" made me nuts. Especially with how crazy you can get that pedal to sound... getting back to normal is not an easy or quick move.

ThinPaperWings, adolan and cosmic_ape like this.
  12. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

That’s a fair criticism. It’s also why Strymon is still king, on my board anyway.

13. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Totally, I wish it wasn't that way though! I've been super curious about a lot of their tones. Just from a usable creative to production ratio I don't see it happening for me.... I know there a TONS of people who don't feel that way though... which is why CB is doing so well!

14. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

^^^^ this. We always here how digital does not replicate analog, tape, spring sounds. How does analog do with digital saounds?

MoarGear likes this.
  15. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

his rigs are always awesome. As is his music, his guitar playing, and just generally himself.

TKIV and crumjack like this.
  16. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

That's why both are great.

The digital gear I have and like are the unique ones doing unique things.

I have a laptop-based DAW because lugging around 2" 24track Tape machines is too bulky, fiddly, heavy, and costly, and because I now have all of the benefits of non-destructive editing and more.

17. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Isn't that kinda why the Dark World is digital? CB seems to realize the "right tool for the right job" mentality.

Really interested in the Wombtone. I love phasers

Rob Evans and MoarGear like this.
  18. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

His pedals are amazing...and sound great. My only contribution...they're not stale...but I think people tend to gravitate to simplicity and ease of use. I don't need 20 ways to make a phaser work in one show. Maybe 1-2 usable tones. There's a lot of options....and that's awesome but do you need em? Some may say yes, some no. I don't need all that, so I'm not going to spend 300+ on a pedal like that. I'd rather spend 75-80 for a phase 95 or $130 on an EQD Grand Orbiter for phaser for example. Or instead of Warped Vinyl...I'll snag a Boss CE-2w and be done. It's kind of why pedals like the RAT never die. They're simple, effective and affordable. My two cents.... again...his pedals are amazing...but depends on who needs what

19. Snail

Snail Member

@cosmic_ape hit the nail on the head.

No way are they stale after releasing Condor, Thermae and Dark Bliss in the past year. But guitar players are conservative and most are not that innovative. These pedals (esp Condor and Thermae, IMHO) are classics in the making and have lots of potential to be explored, but it takes patience, time, and above all creativity to do that.

If you’re just looking to copy a sound that’s already been done, tried and tested, these are just going to seem overpriced and unnecessary. I get that, and I also chase “that sound” sometimes. But most of the time I’m searching for something new that will become “my sound” and I’m very grateful to CBA for allowing me to chart new territory.

vlammie, hippieboy and cosmic_ape like this.
  20. adolan

adolan Member

I am 3 for 3 now.
    I had (in order of purchase)still have in bold
    Ayahuasca
    Wombtone
    Mk II
    Spectre
    Condor
    Thermae
    Dark World

I think for the money, you get a great well built/ thought out product from an absolute stand up guy and company. Hands down. Any problem or questions/help was handled above and beyond the call of duty. Solid.

I sold the Spectre. I had hoped it would replace an original Electric Mistress but it was not what I wanted, great Pedal, just not what I wanted from a flanger.

I tried the DW as I though I would see what it was like, alas I can confirm that Pedal verbs and me really are not happening.

I just sold my Thermae (which is an awesome pedal and if I didn’t see the following I’d still have it) to fund a thing I wanted for years now. I really wanted a Mutron Bi-Phase and wasn’t missing this boat again...So who knows once that lands if the Wombtone will stay as well. Thermae I can get used again but truth be told I was not really using it and I felt like it should go to someone who will really dig into it, and the person who bought it is in Scandinavia so he just saved, win/win.

As far as stale though,
    Joel’s stuff is pretty fresh all the way. I will say this though, the dip switches are great but also a bit of a pita to get to so any use of them really works best in you figuring out your presets, saving them so, and using midi to recall them. If your eyes are starting to fail it can be annoying to try and read/Remember upside down.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    MoarGear and Snail like this.