• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Chase Bliss Audio Tonal Recall vs Analogman ARDX20

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
Tonal Recall for me. I like that it's repeats are a little more present, and it has a lot more features that are useful to me (tap tempo, modulation, presets, etc. all available without an external attachment) in a much smaller footprint.

myaudiodna

I'm a long time DM-2 user, which is what the ARDX20 is based on. I've also fairly extensively heard and used the single channel version of the ARDX20, the AR20DL. Yesterday, a box showed up at my door containing a Tonal Recall. It has already taken the place of my DM-2 on my board, which is something I NEVER thought I would say. My take is, the Tonal Recall has the ability to do everything the ARDX20 can and just as well as the ARDX20 does it, but the ARDX20 can't do half of the things the Tonal Recall can. You can absolutely make the case that I'm still in the honeymoon phase considering I've had the pedal less than 48 hours, but every other delay has come and gone within a day of getting it in favor of my DM-2, the Tonal Recall isn't going anywhere.

The only things I can think of that the ARDX20 has over the Tonal Recall are the price and footswitchable presets out of the box. At $135 less, it is definitely worth considering and the Tonal Recall's 2 presets are not footswitchable without the addition of a MIDI controller (or the forthcoming Chase Bliss Faves switch). If what you want is 2 great sounding, out of the box footswitchable analog delay presets and that's it, then the Tonal Recall is definitely overkill and there is no reason to spend the extra money. The ARDX20 is a FANTASTIC sounding delay and will do exactly what you want. If, however, any of the following appeal to you, then the extra money for the Tonal Recall is 100% worth it:
  • Analog delay with 2 presets (3 including live mode) in a standard sized enclosure (non-footswitchable out of the box)
  • Tap Tempo
  • On board modulation
  • Expression pedal control over just about every parameter
  • MIDI control over just about every parameter
  • Expandable to 6 presets via Chase Bliss Audio Faves switch (coming around Winter Namm 2017)
  • Expandable to 122 presets available via MIDI
  • Ability to make the pedal as simple and standard or as complex and weird as you'd like
My primary draw to the pedal was a fully analog delay with real preset functionality. The whipped cream on top of the sundae for me was the size of the enclosure. The cherry on top of the whipped cream is all the weird, crazy, largely unusable but oh so much fun other stuff I can do with it. Oh, and on top of all of that, it's a darn good chorus pedal too.

I am in no way associated with Chase Bliss Audio, I'm just a happy new user of the Tonal Recall. It is the analog delay pedal that I always wished existed.

Last edited:

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
I own both for now, but if the TR can outlast the honeymoon the ARDX will likely be moved. It had a great run and outlasted several other delays.

The footprint difference is negligible for the base boxes, but the price and space of the AM+Amazeo makes it almost a no brainer. Can't take anything away from it tonally, though.

Rumors of War

Intriguing. I've been in love with my ardx20 for a long time, and it has beaten out some heavy hitters. The footprint alone has me ready to try it. I have the amazeo and an expression pedal so a lot of space tied up for delay.

analogmike

Vendor
My take is, the Tonal Recall has the ability to do everything the ARDX20 can and just as well as the ARDX20 does it, but the ARDX20 can't do half of the things the Tonal Recall can.
Seems like a great pedal, more features than the ARDX20 even with the AMAZE0. But when I play live, I don't adjust knobs, I use one delay at low level, low feedback and short delay time, and another long time, louder, and more repeats. Can the Chase do that? Maybe with presets, but can you do that without bending over and stopping your playing? Just wondering.

myaudiodna

Seems like a great pedal, more features than the ARDX20 even with the AMAZE0. But when I play live, I don't adjust knobs, I use one delay at low level, low feedback and short delay time, and another long time, louder, and more repeats. Can the Chase do that? Maybe with presets, but can you do that without bending over and stopping your playing? Just wondering.
The man himself! I'm with you 100% Mike and no, out of the box the Tonal Recall's presets are not footswitchable and that is most definitely another advantage of your ARDX20 over the Tonal Recall. I've update my post to reflect this. In fact, considering all of the features that the Tonal Recall has, I was really surprised and a little disappointed that there was no way to change presets with the built in footswitches. I thought maybe one of the dip switches on the back would change the tap tempo footswitch to a preset footswitch, or maybe pressing both footswitches at once would change presets or something like that, but no dice. However, anyone planning on using more than just the 2 built in presets (via MIDI) has access to up to 122 presets, entirely footswitchable.

I LOVE your delays Mike. Until the Tonal Recall, your AR20DL was the only delay that ever stood up to my DM-2. However, I stand by my original statement. If a person wants exactly what you described, 2 great sounding, simple, footswitchable delays and nothing else, the ARDX20 is 100% the way to go, there is no reason whatsoever to spend the extra money on the Tonal Recall. If the person wants any of the things I listed in my previous post, the Tonal Recall is a no brainer.

For the record, I think the ARDX20 is revolutionary, and I think you are a legend.

The Tonal Recall can't do that on its own. You need a midi controller, which adds a layer of complexity to everything of course. I've gotten a lot of requests for something simple, so I made this thing:

Skip to 2:10 if you don't want to hear me stutter through the description. It won't be released until Winter NAMM though, I had a heck of a time sourcing the right sized enclosure with enough depth.

myaudiodna

For the record, I think the ARDX20 is revolutionary, and I think you are a legend.

The Tonal Recall can't do that on its own. You need a midi controller, which adds a layer of complexity to everything of course. I've gotten a lot of requests for something simple, so I made this thing:

Skip to 2:10 if you don't want to hear me stutter through the description. It won't be released until Winter NAMM though, I had a heck of a time sourcing the right sized enclosure with enough depth.
The other man himself! This is seriously what makes TGP great. Have a pedal comparison question? There's a decent chance that the pedal builders themselves may chime in.

Just for the record, I'm a huge fan of both Analogman and Chase Bliss Audio and I'm not trying to take anything at all away from the ARDX20. I remember when I saw what you could add to it with the Amazeo I was blown away.

analogmike

Vendor

Very cool, I figured you'd make up something like that!

We did something similar (but all analog) for a guy who wanted more than two presets, and to contolr levels, etc.
It's the OPTIONS jack video on our ARDX20 page, I don't want to spam up this thread so I won't post it here.

Have fun!

Very cool, I figured you'd make up something like that!

We did something similar (but all analog) for a guy who wanted more than two presets, and to contolr levels, etc.
It's the OPTIONS jack video on our ARDX20 page, I don't want to spam up this thread so I won't post it here.

Have fun!
Super super cool. I didn't realize how flexible/practical you made that jack.

cheameup

nice.

any word on how many presets the controller will control ?

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
I’m resurrecting this thread because a lot has happened since - and I’m in the process of incorporating both of these pedals on my board. I’ve had the tonal recall since they came out, but am new to the ardx20. I’m trying to find out specifically if the amaze1 can be controlled by midi to access the 8 presets for the ardx20.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom