Chase Bliss Blooper

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
... I wish it was actually always listening so that you could have a new snippet of captured audio replace the existing loop instead of having to stop the loop to enter record mode, record something and then start the new playback.
That would make for absolutely great work/play flow. i think when many people first start to learn about loopers, that they tend not to do this is the first thing we need to let go of, as we figure out what to do with them. Intuitively, instinctively, this is the one thing I believe we all want and need them to do

Tabor, can I get you to confirm for me that a CT5 will do this, in transcendence mode? I sold mine ages ago but I never found that feature. if I had ...

And I wonder, is that what MOOD does?

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
That would make for absolutely great work/play flow. i think when many people first start to learn about loopers, that they tend not to do this is the first thing we need to let go of, as we figure out what to do with them. Intuitively, instinctively, this is the one thing I believe we all want and need them to do

Tabor, can I get you to confirm for me that a CT5 will do this, in transcendence mode? I sold mine ages ago but I never found that feature. if I had ...

And I wonder, is that what MOOD does?
Taking a quick look over the CT5 manual I think it actually does this in mode 2 whether you have transcendence on or off but if it's on then the buffer is 8 seconds whereas when it's off the buffer is 4 seconds. I just always use the pedal in transcendence mode...

The buffer in the Mood is really only about 1.5 seconds and in order to record a new sample you have to stop the current sample from playing. There's no way to have the new sample "replace" the old one because the Mood can't record a new sample at the same time that it is playing back an existing sample so the Mood doesn't do this trick and never will (no updates possible).

Lately my work-around has been to set the Mood in trails mode and then set the Reverb side for a fairly long decay and set it to process only the loop. (Another quirk of that pedal is that even in that setting the Reverb will wind up processing your dry signal when you enter record mode on the loop side). So when I've got a short micro-loop playing and I'm ready to record a new loop I turn the Reverb on first which causes a slight hiccup in the sound and then I turn the current loop off which means the pedal goes into record mode. The loop then trails away into the reverb and at the same time the reverb starts processing my dry signal and the recorder starts recording whatever I'm playing in 1 second intervals. Then I turn off the reverb if I want my new micro-loop to be clearer... and as that trails away I can decide when to tap the playback button and see what got captured.

It's a somewhat convoluted process but it does offer a way to accomplish a type of shifting, reverberant, micro-loopy, ambient playtime with the Mood while being able to record new micro-loops along the way.

The Blooper, however, can be updated so if this loop or sample replacement trick like on the CT5 isn't possible now it could become possible later...

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
If there's a way to do this I haven't found it. (CT5 mode 2 is great that way in transcendence mode).

I've been using Blooper primarily in additive mode. It's actually on the Mood where the lack of this feature is more of a challenge for me... I wish it was actually always listening so that you could have a new snippet of captured audio replace the existing loop instead of having to stop the loop to enter record mode, record something and then start the new playback.

Maybe someone else has discovered how to do this with Blooper or maybe Blooper can be updated for this kind of capability?
I actually had the chance to bloop today at a local shop for a second time. Seems like on normal or additive mode, if you set the repeats fully ccw, you can get it to immediately go to the newly recorded loop without having a pause between the old loop and the new one. Only tricky thing, which i didn’t figure out, is that the loop length seems to be set by the initial loop, tho it didn’t seem totally 100% like that? Maybe @splatt knows?

The other anomaly is that there’s no mix or dry volume control? The whole time I just assumed there was one. I know there’s a kill dry dip switch but it doesn’t have a Midi cc for it (and obv it’s either kill dry or a blend which you can’t control).

Any word on a poss firmware update for a mix or clean level control? That’s really the only thing holding me back.

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
I actually had the chance to bloop today at a local shop for a second time. Seems like on normal or additive mode, if you set the repeats fully ccw, you can get it to immediately go to the newly recorded loop without having a pause between the old loop and the new one. Only tricky thing, which i didn’t figure out, is that the loop length seems to be set by the initial loop, tho it didn’t seem totally 100% like that? Maybe @splatt knows?

The other anomaly is that there’s no mix or dry volume control? The whole time I just assumed there was one. I know there’s a kill dry dip switch but it doesn’t have a Midi cc for it (and obv it’s either kill dry or a blend which you can’t control).

Any word on a poss firmware update for a mix or clean level control? That’s really the only thing holding me back.
@Tabor

Spoke with Paul from CB, to answer some of our questions:

1) In Normal/Additive mode, if you keep the repeats fully CCW, each new recorded sample will replace the previous one without deleting the previous one until it goes into play mode (similar to mode 2 of CT5). However, the buffer length remains the same from the initial in/out point you set upon the first sample until you delete the sample (pressing both footswitches). CT5 has it in Mode 2 so that the it also replaces the buffer length based on how long you hold the momentary record button for (so your first sample can be 3 seconds, and the second one can be 1/2 a second, whereas blooper would have both of the buffers at 3 seconds.

2) confirmed there is not a way to control the dry volume level or blend other than the kill dry dispwtich. No CC's for doing so or engaging/disengaging the kill-dry footswitch. The workaround would be either just adjusting the wet level and turning down your guitar, or using an external loop with a blend knob controlled via midi/expression/cv. Obv not everyone wants/needs a mix capability.

I'm still very intrigued by it, and hope to get one soon enough when they're back in stock. The wow/flutter via stability, as well as the filtering and pitch/direction/speed sound really really really good when I tried it. It seems like the potential for live loop creation is exponential if you thoughtfully shed and use additive mode. One question I didn't think of would be whether additive mode can just print the the modulation to the newest overdub, or if it applies to all layers? In my head, I think it would be really cool to do something like print your first part down 1 octave, then second part up 1 octave, third part up a 5th, etc. but without effecting the previous overdubs?

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Helpful information there @jondom22. That all sounds right based on my experience with it... loops can kind of replace if you turn repeats down but you are always tied to your loop length until you erase. It’s sort of like tap tempo where you have 30+ seconds of delay time...

I don’t think it’s possible to modify just the most recent overdub. Modifiers always apply to the whole loop. @Matt Griffin was asking about getting this feature added someday if possible.

It doesn’t do everything but I think it’s a fun device. My favorite use is to start it as a long delay (maybe with a little low pass and dropper engaged). I turn the repeats down a bit so everything doesn’t just build up... mess around until something appears and then lock that as a loop. Then maybe modify it temporarily or imprint new modifications before going back to delay mode and building on it or letting it fade away as new ideas float by for me to consider capturing for the next layer. Eventually there are a handful of layers in there. I like to fade these in / out and deconstruct the pieces of them with other things downsteam...

Hopefully you can mostly get what I’m talking about there if I’m explaining well enough but this video from Dan Phelps gives some idea of that kind of process:

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
Helpful information there @jondom22. That all sounds right based on my experience with it... loops can kind of replace if you turn repeats down but you are always tied to your loop length until you erase. It’s sort of like tap tempo where you have 30+ seconds of delay time...

I don’t think it’s possible to modify just the most recent overdub. Modifiers always apply to the whole loop. @Matt Griffin was asking about getting this feature added someday if possible.

It doesn’t do everything but I think it’s a fun device. My favorite use is to start it as a long delay (maybe with a little low pass and dropper engaged). I turn the repeats down a bit so everything doesn’t just build up... mess around until something appears and then lock that as a loop. Then maybe modify it temporarily or imprint new modifications before going back to delay mode and building on it or letting it fade away as new ideas float by for me to consider capturing for the next layer. Eventually there are a handful of layers in there. I like to fade these in / out and deconstruct the pieces of them with other things downsteam...

Hopefully you can mostly get what I’m talking about there if I’m explaining well enough but this video from Dan Phelps gives some idea of that kind of process:

That's good to know others are also interested in just applying modifiers to the most recently added overdub. Wonder if it's do-able in a future update?

That's also a really cool idea with creating some interweaving parts using the long delay time, and then capturing it with the loop record. In my head it's like laying out the ghostbusters trap once you got the ghosts wrapped around with the proton packs. Just don't cross the streams!

Gotta make some room by selling off a few items first though. Thanks again for your insights as always dude!

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Hopefully the link will also be on the website and/or in a newsletter?

I found the last update on reddit and that IG post doesn’t really say where the link will be. It seems like all pertinent information should just be on the CBA website (but maybe I’m biased toward old school approaches like websites and email bc I refuse to use IG or FB for reasons I can’t discuss here).

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Taking a quick look over the CT5 manual I think it actually does this in mode 2 whether you have transcendence on or off but if it's on then the buffer is 8 seconds whereas when it's off the buffer is 4 seconds. I just always use the pedal in transcendence mode...

The buffer in the Mood is really only about 1.5 seconds and in order to record a new sample you have to stop the current sample from playing. There's no way to have the new sample "replace" the old one because the Mood can't record a new sample at the same time that it is playing back an existing sample so the Mood doesn't do this trick and never will (no updates possible).
i dunno. i seem to be able to "cut into" the Mood's already-existing-loop, if i move very, very quickly.
i could be wrong, but the illusion is there --- ¿maybe due to the routing i'm using?
i'll double-check this carefully, on the weekend.

wedgehed

Will there be a desktop editor or will we have to navigate to Chase Bliss every time we rearrange the modifiers?

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone know ... can the new update be installed if the previous update has not yet been installed? maybe this is a really dumb question, like if this guy has to ask this he probably shouldn’t be messing with a blooper to begin with, someone is surely thinking

Foolish and faithful enough to hope for an instance of helpful generosity!

wedgehed

Does anyone know ... can the new update be installed if the previous update has not yet been installed? maybe this is a really dumb question, like if this guy has to ask this he probably shouldn’t be messing with a blooper to begin with, someone is surely thinking

Foolish and faithful enough to hope for an instance of helpful generosity!
You can do the update. This was mentioned on the live-feed last night.

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Silver Supporting Member
I'm having some issues with blooper that I wonder if anyone else is seeing. The one I can replicate consistently on my pedal is that one-shot mods do not turn off the mod after recording. I already sent Zack an email, but it's the weekend and I was curious if I was the only one.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having some issues with blooper that I wonder if anyone else is seeing. The one I can replicate consistently on my pedal is that one-shot mods do not turn off the mod after recording. I already sent Zack an email, but it's the weekend and I was curious if I was the only one.
with the newest firmware? My one-shot recording is turning off modifiers after the recording pass but I’m still just one update behind as far as firmware.