• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Chase Bliss Brothers making a strange noise

Recently, I started getting a noise like a tiny hoover coming from my amp, and I thought it might be a tube issue, but when I plugged straight into the amp, no noise. However, it turns out that when I connect my Chase Bliss Brothers I get that unwanted sound.

The pedal chain goes Brothers>Rat>Jam Delay Llama Xtreme>Timeline>Big Sky, and all powered by a next-to-new Cioks DC7.

I tried going cable to Brothers to amp and powering the pedal with a spare 9V PSU and the sound went but, when I remove or plug in the Mogami instrument cable to the amp (using the silent plug) I’d get a crackling noise where normally I wouldn’t. Connect the Brothers up to the Cioks again, and the hoover-like hum sound comes back.

Does this sound like a pedal issue or am I missing something? If there’s an issue with a pedal as wonderfully complex as a Chase Bliss, I wouldn’t know where to start...

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
If the sound issue turns on and off with the power supply/cable then I would personally suspect those first. Couple things to try, in the order I would try them.

1- see if noise is removed by isolating pedal from other pedals and power supply - yep, you already did that, and points to something else or some combination of things requiring the cioks and/or other pedals
2 - swap power cables in the cioks - bad cable?
3 - swap ports on the cioks - bad port?
4 - disconnect all other pedals from cioks - not truly isolated? “Daisy chain” issues?

TyTyDevoDevo

Recently, I started getting a noise like a tiny hoover coming from my amp, and I thought it might be a tube issue, but when I plugged straight into the amp, no noise. However, it turns out that when I connect my Chase Bliss Brothers I get that unwanted sound.

The pedal chain goes Brothers>Rat>Jam Delay Llama Xtreme>Timeline>Big Sky, and all powered by a next-to-new Cioks DC7.

I tried going cable to Brothers to amp and powering the pedal with a spare 9V PSU and the sound went but, when I remove or plug in the Mogami instrument cable to the amp (using the silent plug) I’d get a crackling noise where normally I wouldn’t. Connect the Brothers up to the Cioks again, and the hoover-like hum sound comes back.

Does this sound like a pedal issue or am I missing something? If there’s an issue with a pedal as wonderfully complex as a Chase Bliss, I wouldn’t know where to start...
Send me an email at sales@chaseblissaudio.com and we will get you sorted out!

Well in the end, I found the source of the hiss: I don’t know if this is a feature of the pedal, but I recently bought a Jam Pedals Delay Llama Xtreme which is absolutely tremendous, beautiful repeats and the Xtreme modes (particularly the tape wobble and pitchshifting modes) are stunning. However, when it’s set to trails mode, there is a notable hiss. I’m not too bothered by it at all (my Timeline does trails), but it seems strange that it should add that much noise in buffered mode.

Anyway, all that messing around with cables and power supplies, adding and subtracting pedals from the chain, and it was one little toggle! I was ready to take my amp into town to have it checked over or buy something else... very thankful I found the noise source before doing that.

Thanks @TyTyDevoDevo for your help/emails... turns out, as expected, that the Brothers was not the issue and still a brilliant pedal.

Trending Topics