Chase Bliss Dark World

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratguy23, Jan 18, 2020.

1. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

One of my goals in 2020 is to revamp my pedalboard after a major overhaul to my guitar and amp rig in 2019. My main reverb for years has been the Strymon Flint. I love the reverb and trem (mostly use harmonic) combo ok the Flint, but my new main amp is a 1962 Fender Bandmaster that has real harmonic trem, so I don’t need the Flint’s trem anymore, and I’m thinking about getting a more powerful reverb for my
    main board. I’m thinking about the Dark World, but there doesn’t seem to be much posted about it in the last year. How do the World reverbs (especially spring and hall) sound? I like the idea of having two sides to stack plus presets. I play a variety of styles from classic rock to alternative (with some ambient textures), so I would use both sides depending on the sound I need for the particular song. I want to make sure that the World reverbs are good for conventional sounds (not worried about the Dark side) there aren’t many demos I’ve found of it being used subtly. Whois still using the Dark World and how do you like it?

2. See3po

See3po Member

I’ve got the DW and Flint. For me, the World side of the DW is designed to work musically with the Dark side. For “conventional” the Flint is hard to beat. The World side by itself is fine for conventional but not stellar. The Ventris, Bug Sky and even M7 are more aimed to be exceptional at conventional replications.

That’s not to say the World isn’t good, but if you have the Flint, I don’t think you’ll find that the World is in the same league. That said, the W matches much better with the Dark than the Flint or any of the others can do. And the DW really becomes it’s own thing when routing the D and the W through all the different routing combinations. It’s a great pedal.

hippieboy likes this.
  3. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Dark World is an awesome reverb! I used one for a while but have gone to a Flint due to board space and wanting the harmonic trem. But I still have my DW and I miss having it on the board. Its normal verbs have a different feel than the Flint, a little darker and moodier maybe. I really like both pedals a lot, they’re just different. The DW excels at big ambient verbs when using both sides, the mod or shimmer on the Dark side combined with hall on the World side is pretty epic! But for a simple regular verb the DW has a killer plate sound, really nice! And I like the spring for just a basic spring sound....it’s not going to be drippy or anything like an outboard tank, but it’s a nice and easy to use sound.

Makes me want to try and reshuffle my board so I can fit Dark World and Monument instead of Flint.....but my board is small and it’s packed pretty tight presently.

4. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I feel like, for me anyway, the DW is the end of the line for reverbs. Is it the best Spring, best Hall, etc? No. But the options you have when you combine them, it’s footprint, build quality, and dip-switch option(s) really allow you to sculpt what you want. It’s the only reverb I haven’t gotten bored of yet. Had it for about a year so far.

Chase Bliss stuff is generally easy to sell too, so if you don’t like it move it along with little loss.

hippieboy and FokenBusker like this.
  5. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I wouldn’t recommend the Dark World for conventional reverb sounds - that’s the only area where I feel it lets me down, but it’s because I’m trying to get it to act out of character.

But, for washy, dreamy, unconventional, and experimental sounds that don’t completely abandon the idea that at the end of the day it’s still reverb, I don’t know that there’s much out there I would bet can beat it.

I would recommend taking a look at something like the Blue Sky since you’re familiar with Strymon and because I think it ventures into both conventional and unconventional with a pretty good balance. That’s in no way a slag on the DW, as it’s amazing.

6. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I didn’t find any great use for mine. Sold it. I have better conventional reverbs and better experimental reverbs. I didn’t need any of the ramping, routing, expression, or midi capabilities. One of my least regrettable sales.

7. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

I don't think the Dark World is worth the price--especially considering the competitors in the same price-range (Ventris, RV-500, Mercury7, etc.). The World side is fine but not any better than the vanilla reverbs on cheaper units like the RV-6. On the Dark side, the Mod algorithm is by far the coolest one. I found the Shimmer to be interesting but not terribly usable and the freeze is just a freeze--plenty of reverb pedals do that.

8. Viking999

Viking999 Member

Empress reverb is also worth a look. It has conventional and weird sounds well covered and a built-in looper

9. stratguy23

Interesting, that's kind of what I was worried about on the Dark World. I really like some of the Dark sounds and the two together sounds awesome. Andy did a nice demo with Reverb that is about the only one I've heard with subtle sounds. I might give it a spin and if I need something conventional grab a Surfybear or Topanga or something for spring.

I've played the Blue Sky before. I agree it does straddle the line between conventional and unconventional, but I definitely prefer the Flint for spring sounds. It was cool being able to add shimmer or mod to the different reverb types, but I wasn't totally blown away by the Blue Sky. I haven't tried the Big Sky, just the Flint and Blue Sky from Strymon.

I owned a Space in the past, loved the unconventional reverbs like Black Hole, but I felt the spring was pretty weak, Flint is much better for that.

I will certainly give the Empress Reverb a look based on some recommendations.

Original_Fire likes this.
  10. Lamby

Lamby Member

The Red Panda Context V2 is due for release in April - definitely worth considering too.

aaronjcurtis likes this.
  11. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I had a dark world and thought the plate was really good. The flint never quite mixed right with my amp. I wasnt impressed at all with the empress. I tried the ventris and that did much better for for me.

hippieboy likes this.
  12. stratguy23

Interesting on the Flint and Empress. I’ll add the Ventris to my list to look at. Were the non-plate reverbs on the Dark World not good?

13. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

The mod sound is great on DW and it works also as a regular reverb (at least to me)

This is Thermae (as a normal delay) + Dark World using the Mod option (dark side)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  14. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Its a good pedal, but for me the "Dark" sounds weren't anything I would have used playing out, and the Hall and Spring were solid, but I felt like if I bought the pedal it would be just for the Plate, and I wasn't going to do that. If the "Dark" sounds are something you're after - then I would say go for it.

The Empress Spring was terrible. In my opinion if its not going to do the basics amazingly then the other stuff was kind of pointless.

15. halcyon

halcyon Member

I had a Dark World and still have a Flint. To me, the reverb in the latter seems more general-purpose AND it can get very ambient. Obviously it doesn’t have the Dark side of the Dark World built-in, but I never really liked any of those effects, even in conjunction with the World side. I wanted to like that pedal so badly and just... didn’t. :-(

16. stratguy23

This is very helpful info. I do really like some of the Dark sounds I’ve heard, and it’s good to know all the World reverbs are at least solid. Having at least a decent spring sound is important to me, so that likely rules out the Empress (and part of why I got rid of my Eventide Space). I still really like the Flint, I just feel it’s a waste to not use half the pedal. I also would really like to have more presets than the Flint has.

17. stratguy23

that sounds fantastic thanks for sharing. It’s cool to hear the Thermae do some more conventional tones, and I like the DW verb tones there as well.

hippieboy likes this.
  18. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

You are welcome, Dark World has a lot of range even in the "dark" side. And yes, thermae has a very nice traditional delay sound as well.

stratguy23 likes this.
  19. stratguy23

I think I’m between the Dark World and Source Audio Ventris at this point for my next reverb based on the feedback in this thread and listening to clips.

hippieboy likes this.
  20. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

Apologies if this was suggested already ---

Considering the simplicity of the Flint and having had the uber Ventris for a year or so before parting ways ..... check out the Immerse MKII.

I currently have both the Immerse MKII and the Flint on my board. My thinking/intended use: Flint for the foundational, normal verbs and settings (what I used 90% of the time at today's gig for example) and then I have the Immerse for more of the fun sounds and deeper-space explorations. That said, I have had the chance to compare and contrast both pedals for a longer stint of time and the Immerse covers the basics quite well (I can dial in very similar tones on both) and, the Immerse is easy to quickly dial-in.

Why have the Flint at all one might ask? IMHO, the Flint just excels at a warmer more natural (read: what one would expect to hear in a typical space/use) effect sound while the Immerse is always tempting me to crank the settings and explore the universe. In this use, the pre-delay setting on the Immerse helps tremendously in creating space between the original tone and the effect so that it doesn't get swallowed up (unless that's the sound one is looking for.) I also was looking for a tremolo for my board and did not want a stand alone pedals for the one effect.