Chase Bliss Mood

Pellecaster

I found this very detailed (and long) video overview of Mood. I think it's well done and at 13:50 the "back and forth" between the two sides is described and demonstrated. Like you I had read about this idea but didn't really understand what was meant or how it worked but the video gave me a better understanding:

I've had the trails switch off when discovering this weird behavior... for some reason when that center switch is flicked to the right it is supposedly forcing the OBNE side to only process audio from the Drolo side but in practice if you put the Drolo side into listening (red) mode then the OBNE side starts processing your dry signal.

Does anyone know a way to make the OBNE side only ever process the Drolo side and never the dry (even when the Drolo side is in record or "listening" mode)? I thought that was the purpose of this switch but it doesn't seem to work like that unfortunately... maybe it isn't possible...

Also I've noticed there is a latency or kind of short muting that happens if you have a loop playing on the Drolo side and then you go to switch on the OBNE side or if you change from one OBNE effect to another. It is a fairly long gap comparatively (maybe half a second). Have you noticed this too? You can hear it in that section of the video above. I notice it most when the Drolo side is in stretch because that setting is very pad-like and when I go to process that drone with the OBNE side it kind of cuts out for a moment while it loads or begins processing or something...

It's an extremely interesting pedal but I'm just trying to describe some of the quirks in operation and see if others here can confirm these and/or suggest work-arounds (other than just adjusting my expectations and understanding that these quirks are part of the character of the pedal).

So far the Drolo side is the most interesting to me... especially the Envelope and Stretch. The stretch can sound like a really wild buddha box or freeze type pedal and the Envelope is fun to interact with. The OBNE side is fine but much less captivating or creative imo. My favorite sounds there are on the slip mode in reverse. It's hard to get the modify knob just right but if you put it just a little above 9:00 you can find a unison reverse (not transposed). I'm also really liking the noisy side of the clock knob since it's such a different sound palette from anything else I have around...

I do wish the ramp was connected to the OBNE Time knob or something instead of the Mix knob. I like some of the ramping possibilities but I find it frustrating to lose control of the mix to get there.
Excellent video, thank you, I was really able to wrap my head around the controls with this vid playing in the background. :beer

bruce1448

I found this very detailed (and long) video overview of Mood. I think it's well done and at 13:50 the "back and forth" between the two sides is described and demonstrated. Like you I had read about this idea but didn't really understand what was meant or how it worked but the video gave me a better understanding:

I've had the trails switch off when discovering this weird behavior... for some reason when that center switch is flicked to the right it is supposedly forcing the OBNE side to only process audio from the Drolo side but in practice if you put the Drolo side into listening (red) mode then the OBNE side starts processing your dry signal.

Does anyone know a way to make the OBNE side only ever process the Drolo side and never the dry (even when the Drolo side is in record or "listening" mode)? I thought that was the purpose of this switch but it doesn't seem to work like that unfortunately... maybe it isn't possible...

Also I've noticed there is a latency or kind of short muting that happens if you have a loop playing on the Drolo side and then you go to switch on the OBNE side or if you change from one OBNE effect to another. It is a fairly long gap comparatively (maybe half a second). Have you noticed this too? You can hear it in that section of the video above. I notice it most when the Drolo side is in stretch because that setting is very pad-like and when I go to process that drone with the OBNE side it kind of cuts out for a moment while it loads or begins processing or something...

It's an extremely interesting pedal but I'm just trying to describe some of the quirks in operation and see if others here can confirm these and/or suggest work-arounds (other than just adjusting my expectations and understanding that these quirks are part of the character of the pedal).

So far the Drolo side is the most interesting to me... especially the Envelope and Stretch. The stretch can sound like a really wild buddha box or freeze type pedal and the Envelope is fun to interact with. The OBNE side is fine but much less captivating or creative imo. My favorite sounds there are on the slip mode in reverse. It's hard to get the modify knob just right but if you put it just a little above 9:00 you can find a unison reverse (not transposed). I'm also really liking the noisy side of the clock knob since it's such a different sound palette from anything else I have around...

I do wish the ramp was connected to the OBNE Time knob or something instead of the Mix knob. I like some of the ramping possibilities but I find it frustrating to lose control of the mix to get there.

I really love the Mood and it's not going anywhere...but you're describing a bunch of the quirks that I hope can be updated at some point. I believe they're all normal/ as designed...

Thanks for that video. I guess I had been doing it that way but I noticed a drop in the loop volume when I did that so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

In regards to the muting when engaging the OBNE effects, I have noticed that as well.

Slip mode is the one that I struggle with. Hard to find a use for it yet but I need to mess with it more. I need to start ramping with it.

Don't know if you've seen it, but a really fun thing to do is what Andy Othling does in this video:

Basically, momentary bypass (record) on the drolo side with tape mode, 1/2 speed reverse. It sounds huge.

I have never been as satisfied and frustrated with a pedal at the same time. I mean that in the best way possible. I will make an incredible sound with it, but I don't have a clue how I did it. The experimentation with it is endless. My lady thinks I'm on drugs because I will make some little pad/loop thingy and then play little three note riffs over it for 30 minutes. I'm stupid for waiting so long to get one.

Just saw this and thought I’d try and explain some stuff.

The middle toggle only controls behavior when both channels are active (OBNE engaged and Drolo playing)

That “gap” you are describing when running Drolo into OBNE is the nature of a loop going into the delay. It’ll always happen going into the delay or into slip mode if there’s a long delay. Less so with Reverb of course.

If you want to quickly control mix while you are ramping just hold down the OBNE stomp and you can control mix again (while holding OBNE stomp).

I think this answers all of your questions but let me know if I missed something.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
If you want to quickly control mix while you are ramping just hold down the OBNE stomp and you can control mix again (while holding OBNE stomp).
This is a great tip! Thanks for all the information. I think you touched on everything I mentioned. I have noticed that gap is less prominent in the Reverb mode. I’ve also found that I can use that muting gap as a kind of killswitch/studder feature to chop and disrupt loops. It’s a really unique pedal and I appreciate you and CBA taking a chance in releasing something this unusual and “experimental” into the market.

This is a great tip! Thanks for all the information. I think you touched on everything I mentioned. I have noticed that gap is less prominent in the Reverb mode. I’ve also found that I can use that muting gap as a kind of killswitch/studder feature to chop and disrupt loops. It’s a really unique pedal and I appreciate you and CBA taking a chance in releasing something this unusual and “experimental” into the market.
thank you!!

See3po

Does anyone notices that the drolo micro looper side gets quieter the longer it is a played? Is it supposed to do that?

Gila_Crisis

this is a very useful information!
I did check the user manual now, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Could you please update the manual?

Thank you Joel!

magnus02

Silver Supporting Member

Am I crazy or is this demo insanely awesome and I find it mind boggling that this account (fireghosting) doesn't have a bigger following. Definitely derivative of Knobs' style but still different. Not much of a 'true demo' but still massively entertaining to me. Makes me want to buy everything they demo. Including the Mood.

See3po

I seem to get about 5-10mins of playback on the drolo side before the volume gradually fades to silence. Clock speed seems to influence how long playback will last. Is it possible to get infinite playback without volume loss?

chopsley

Gold Supporting Member
Here is a something I did a few weeks ago. Guitar->MOOD->amp, recorded on iPhone (so you can hear pedal clicks and the sounds of a nearby playground, on occasion).

It's sort of an improvised etude with a particular MOOD sound, I guess?

Last edited:

Braunzo

Slight resurrection. Just ordered one of these with a Faves. Pretty excited about it. Gonna try out some of y’all’s settings. I think I have a pedalboard setup in mind for this thing.

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Anyone using this as their main delay pedal?
I'm thinking the Tonal Recall or Thermae would work better, but wondered.

See3po

Tonal Recall and Thermae are both warm, rich, deep sounding analog delay. Amazing. But much different than the delay on the MOOD. Better? Depends on what you want. Much different tools for different purposes.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
No, but....

My main delay is the Volante. I have a TR RKM but the voicing of the repeats just isn’t quite to my taste. Haven’t tried the Thermae. But Volante is my favorite delay I’ve ever tried, love it.

But...I do have a preset on the Mood dedicated to a slight slap back thickener type delay and it’s great for that. If your delay needs are very simple then I could see the Mood serving that purpose. And the fact that the Mood can serve such a basic function like that so well is what helps keep it on a very compact 5 effect board for me. The more outside the box features are super fun and inspire creativity, but I don’t know that I could justify it on such a limited board but for the fact that I love the delay for a slight slap back and use the reverb for a big washy ambient verb sound a lot.

4b454e

Platinum Supporting Member
I have taken to using it quite a bit.
It’s a nice pristine delay. Really nice, actually - and REALLY pristine. Not all-purpose, for me, but I like it :)

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I seem to get about 5-10mins of playback on the drolo side before the volume gradually fades to silence. Clock speed seems to influence how long playback will last. Is it possible to get infinite playback without volume loss?
I don’t think it’s possible. The loop seems to get quieter and more Lo-fi over time and doesn’t last more than maybe 10min.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I have mine after my Ct5 but before my main loopers.
These two pedals (Mood and CT5) go together like biscuits and gravy. Made 4-1-anothrr.
Totally agree... I've taken to running the MOOD after the CT5 and I'm really liking the results. I've been using the Envelope mode the most on the MOOD. Both is a nice answer here... I tend to run the CT5 either as a kind of reverse delay or as a looper in mode 2 with the random knob turned up pretty high.

The transcendence feature is really nice on the CT5. That's one bit of functionality I wish the MOOD had but I'm devising strategies to make it possible to record a new loop on the MOOD without the silence of returning to record mode being so noticeable. Any one else have any good work arounds for this?

songtalk

Totally agree... I've taken to running the MOOD after the CT5 and I'm really liking the results. I've been using the Envelope mode the most on the MOOD. Both is a nice answer here... I tend to run the CT5 either as a kind of reverse delay or as a looper in mode 2 with the random knob turned up pretty high.

The transcendence feature is really nice on the CT5. That's one bit of functionality I wish the MOOD had but I'm devising strategies to make it possible to record a new loop on the MOOD without the silence of returning to record mode being so noticeable. Any one else have any good work arounds for this?
I have taken to making sure the left side is running if I'm going to record new loop to right side and it makes it more smeary and natural feeling. I actually like just hitting the two switches at once and kind of flipping back and forth between looping and effecting and sometimes I'll leave it looping and kick the left side on and off a few times to mess it all up a bit. So much cool stuff to do.

Trending Topics