Chase Tone Secret Preamp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Sep 2, 2014.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor...get this pedal. I found it to be really really good as an always on pedal near end of my chain...provides warmth, fullness, 3D kinda feel, adds touch sensitivity to my strings...all the time being extremely transparent. This is an exact vintage reproduction of the echoplex preamp. I a/b'ed with the MXR echoplex preamp, which is also a good pedal, but the Chase Tone is just better in all ways. I have one of Kyle's wahs (the picture clyde mccoy) and he just makes great stuff!

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Agreed. I had one and decided to send it back as I thought to myself "do I really need a 'tone enhancer'?"

...I played my guitar the next day and was wondering why my tone was suddenly so anemic...once it dawned on me, I emailed Kyle right away and had him send it back right away. It's just killer at what it does.

I've had a few other EP Pre type pedals and none of them quite did what the Chase does.

Big in Japan and 71strat like this.
  3. otherone

Prior to this I was using a bearfoot pale green compressor for the sweetness but the secret preamp just adds a whole other dimension of enhancement and feel. I play a 65 Strat into a 65 blackface pro reverb amp and I didn't think anything could make that sweeter. But this does. And I have my analog delay pedal after it and it really makes the delay pedal sound like an echoplex...really cool

4. King Rat

King Rat Member

:jo

5. MasterEvan07

I sounds crazy good preceding my Timmy into my JTM45 :)

wilto and 71strat like this.
  6. groovington

groovington Member

You guys are killing me... I've been wanting this one for a while. Have his fuzz face and Gypsy wah, and they are both some of the best sounding pedals I could ever imagine owning. Someday I will add the Secret Preamp to my board!

7. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

8. MasterEvan07

It's funny, when I talked to Kyle about it he said that it turns into people's favorite pedal and I recall thinking that a tone enhancer is a silly thing for a favorite pedal...and then I got one. Now I won't say it's my favorite, but what it does for every other pedal I've paired it with is great.

My one niggle is the sometimes overly glassy hi-fi I get out of it, but it has a toggle to go between a bright and a dark version so it's even a problem gets addressed within the pedal itself.

9. groovington

groovington Member

You're not helping my GAS...

So does the secret preamp kind of work for whatever pedal it's after in your chain? Or is it something that you just put at the end of your chain, and it kind of enhances everything, thus just always on?

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im wanting to try one of these and his Italian wah.. gas indeed.

11. MasterEvan07

I use it after my fuzz to enliven it and before my Timmy to goose that for more dirt. With verb or delay in the line I'd still keep it exactly where it is.

I was just rocking that combo with a PTD fuzz face today into my JTM45...yeah, wow.

12. groovington

groovington Member

Gave in and placed my order today... can't wait to experience the greatness of the Secret Preamp!

13. Bombshell

Bombshell Member

please post your results, i'm considering this as well.

14. MasterEvan07

The knob on my SP fell off yesterday and when I examined it it appeared to have been a faulty knob. Contacted Kyle and he sent a replacement and an alternative that day to correct the problem.

All that to say he's a great guy to work with and if you hate the SP he'll take it back no problem.

Hope you dig and I'm also looking forward to your thoughts :)

15. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

16. MasterEvan07

I've not tried the Dunlop/MXR, but the Clinch FX and EP Boost. See above for the OP's assessment.

17. otherone

I feel it's better than the mxr in that you can just feel the tone better. That's the best way I can describe it. There is an overall greater richness in its character and def a greater touch sensitivity on the strings. The mxr is decent, but for $40 more, the chase tone is just on another level and def worth the little extra money

18. 1madaxeman

1madaxeman Member

Ok I give, is the website to order secret also? Did a search and got nothing,

19. MasterEvan07

Really?

Literally the first thing Google finds when I search for "Chase Tone"

www.chasetone.com

20. 1madaxeman

1madaxeman Member

No lie, first thing that comes up for me is a Premier Guitar builder profile and then a YouTube demo, etc. Thanks for the link.