Chase Tone Secret Preamp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

Only had a couple gigs out with mine playing thru a Fender Hot Rod Dlx. Absolutely loved it! That being said, it's not an 'always on' pedal for my rig. Some of my drive pedals like the 'bright' mode, some 'mid' and the others with it off.

earthmud and kidmandude like this.
  2. Gera RG

Gera RG Supporting Member

Just did read this entire thread, liked what I saw so I placed an order.
    I want to know that feeling you guys mention when you notice the instant harmonics enhancement.

Doug59 and Kriig like this.
  3. Gera RG

Gera RG Supporting Member

Okay just come here to say something.

I must confess that first I had my doubts about it , I'm always attracted to delays and reverbs ¿Why expend the money on a pedal with one knob and one switch? ¿A boost with only 3db?

Lots of things crossed my mind and I was buying all kind of pedals, some of them to enhance my tone (some boosters and EQ pedals).

But everyone kept on saying that this pedals is incredible, a pedal to never turn off. So reluctantly I placed the order.

Now I can say that everything I read about this pedal is true, surpassed my expectations. And yeah, since I plugged it in it has never been turned off , it just can't be done things wouldn't be the same.

Spellbound, 71strat, Kriig and 7 others like this.
  4. Fret-O'File

Fret-O'File Supporting Member

We told you so! ;)

Gera RG and Echoplexi like this.
  5. Kriig

Kriig Member

It’s like going from 1 to 2 amps :D

Gera RG and Echoplexi like this.
  6. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I tried using mine on a new board after a tc chorus+ and it made a weird noise. Moved it to first in chain right after tuner. Doing great things for my signal still. Im not even running an OD right now. Just using boost from the SP and my reverb pedal.

7. desire machine

desire machine Member

How does this compare to the Catalinbread echoplex pre /bella epic dlx?

8. Dazza

Dazza Member

I had read countless 'how does this compare to that' questions regarding the many 'Echoplex Preamp' based pedals that my head started to spin, hehe. The fact is every player and every rig is different. Chances are peoples' opinions will be too. I stripped my questions down to the absolute basics. One's that directly apply to me - I'm an old school player driving old school amps from my guitar knobs for my base tone, not rotating through a collection of gain pedals.

Do I want an Echoplex to enhance my amp tone just as my heroes have done ?
    Do I want something based on an Echoplex (possibly in name only), with extra features and tweak-ability ?

The Chase Tone is a copy of the 'actual' working Maestro EP3 circuit. Not an approximation or digital algorithm. It does what they do.
    Simple enough conclusion. I want that.

Fab pedal. It enhances my tone and my playing enjoyment.

Daz

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Spellbound, Kriig, 71strat and 4 others like this.
  9. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

Can anyone comment how this pedal interacts with fuzz pedals?

10. Kriig

Kriig Member

If you run it after, it does its magic on whatever it gets.
    I run mine after everything, but before my Bogner La Grange. Sounds great.

Be sure to run it at 150 mA or more. Lower than that will introduce noise.

Deus56 and Fret-O'File like this.
  11. moPHOmo

moPHOmo Member

12. JJO

JJO Silver Supporting Member

I just got mine and I’ve been running it after a Screwdriver—practically a fuzz—and it works brilliantly for that, along with every other flavor of dirt I’ve thrown at it. Really impressed so far.

Fret-O'File and Sidmore like this.
  13. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

That's my favorite thing about this pedal. It can be used almost like a final eq pedal if placed last. I take it on and off my board but won't ever sell it.

Doug59 and Fret-O'File like this.
  14. Fret-O'File

I just bought a second one for a spare.
    This is one of those pedals I wouldn't want to be without.

Doug59, EpicEsquire and earthmud like this.
  15. moPHOmo

moPHOmo Member

I've been looking for an EQ. Playing a Epiphone Dot into Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I can't play too loud, unfortunately that's when the amp sounds the best. I will try this and forgo an EQ.

16. soundbee

soundbee Member

I did the same last Tuesday night 11/26 around 11:30pm EST, got the tracking number literally 6 minutes later, and was in my mailbox by Friday. That's some speedy order processing!

Doug59 and Tabor like this.
  17. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Another way I use it is almost as a master volume. I can crank everything and set final volume with the SP. You can boost or attenuate to a certain extent. I don't think attenuation is where it shines, but it works.

Personally my favorite feature is its effect on clipping. Take a Telecaster with a tube screamer into the TB channel of a Vox and it can be painfully bright. If you switch on the SP set dead last in your chain, it alters the gain, clipping, and all the sudden everything sounds great. I'm not exactly sure what it's doing or how it works, but it's pretty damn cool.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 11:11 PM
  18. Fret-O'File

Same, ordered it Tuesday morning and by Friday it was in my mailbox.
    I figured I might as well take advantage of the sale Kyle was having and pick up a spare.
    My first is the Golden SPA so only has a bright and dark, the new one has the mid so might end up using both at the same time on occasion.

19. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Incredibly well in my experience

20. El Phaco

El Phaco Member

Yess, it adds some "good" treble (in the bright setting), thickness and sustain. But in the end, i sold mine (an early two settings versions) because i prefer a vibe preamp after my fuzz (it's more agressive than the SP).

Note that the SP works really well into the loop of a delay to add some grit to the repeats.