Chase Tone Secret Preamp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

What’s this “vibe preamp” that you mentioned? (when I search I see results for preamps out of a rhodes).

El Phaco likes this.
  2. El Phaco

El Phaco Member

Well, it's just my vibe (33rd effects Nova Vibe Mk1) with the intensity knob set to 0. This way, the signal goes through the preamp stage of the pedal, but is not modulated. Sounds glorious after a fuzz.

Tabor likes this.
  3. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

I found a demo:

4. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I saw his sale last night so I finally ordered one as well. I've been wanting to try a preamp pedal to add a little more depth to my clean tones for the times I need to play at lower volumes and all of the reviews I've read about the Secret Preamp have always been good. I was originally going to place it at the end of my chain as suggested on the website but seems like it might make more sense having it before a delay.

Does this pedal work as well when placed post-dirt and pre-modulation as it does when placed at the end of the chain? I thought I remembered reading that it doesn't like being before a buffer and both of my reverb pedals are buffered. If that's the case, then I'll just stick it at the end.

5. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

I would say using it at the end IS the best. However, i've found a few other places in the chain that work well. I was using it post volume pedal, pre delay and reverb but it didn't sound quite right. I now use it in the last loop of my ES-5 switcher with output buffer on (still pre volume pedal/delay/verb) and it works well. The litmus test is try it somewhere and if the volume drops when engaged...there is an impedance miss-match. It will be definitely obvious.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Just ordered on reberb... thanks for the GAS.

7. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

It's a good point... vibe, trem and delay pedals sometimes have preamps built in if you want a bit of character and mojo added to the clean tone as well as the option to have an effect.

El Phaco likes this.
  8. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it in a few locations as soon as it arrives and listen for any volume changes.

I'm currently in the process of tearing down and rewiring my main board so I have a lot of flexibility as far as placement goes.

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

They are $119 on their website right now.

macmeda likes this.
  10. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

And people trying to sell them used here, Reverb, etc for over $150.00.

11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The regular price is $149. And at one point, Chase Tone couldn’t keep up with the demands. But that has not been the case for some time now.

T92780 likes this.
  12. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

$129 on sale and $159 regular when you include the $10 shipping cost that gets tacked on...

13. Fret-O'File

Fret-O'File Supporting Member

If I found myself without a CT SPA and the only one available was $259, I would gladly pay that price.
    That's how much this pedal does for my tone.

14. El Phaco

El Phaco Member

Actually the vibe preamp makes the fuzz heavier, more agressive, but as it's placed after, it doesn't affect the way it reacts to attack/volume knob. And it makes your FF cut through the mix like butter. That was a crucial point for me.

Tabor likes this.
  15. Phopper

Phopper Member

I've had one of these on all the time while using my tube amps, but when I use the Iridium it sounds awful with the secret pre. Not sure why but I took mine off since I'm going direct now and the secret pre doesn't sound good used like that.

16. Omi79

Omi79 Member

Why is the SP supposed to be last in chain.
    Anyone tried it before delays or dirt?

17. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

I currently have the SP on my mini board before my Collider Delay/Reverb and it works just fine. However, like the original Maestro Echoplex Preamp it was designed to push a tube amp at the end of the chain. I won't pretend to know how it does it, but it imparts a sweetness and the volume knob is VERY interactive with other pedals. I've had very limited success running it before a dirt pedal. Their website explains it much better than I can.

Fret-O'File likes this.
  18. Slammin Mofo

Slammin Mofo Member

I've read that the gain knob functions a bit differently than on most pedals. As far as I understand, it only gives you a signal boost up to 2 o'clock or something and then something else happens from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. Does anybody know what exactly happens at what point once you start turning that gain knob?

19. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

I hope Kyle doesn't mind me passing along this info he sent me a while back, but here it is in a nutshell:

"There's unity at around 10 o'clock.

It rises above unity depending upon the EQ Toggle setting from 11 o'clock to highest setting.

1 or 2 o'clock is maximum boost at about 3dBs.

3 o'clock to maximum knob setting changes the output impedance to simulate a worn EP-3 for a flatter EQ. It will make the different EQ toggle settings sound slightly different. The decibel boost is not as high as the earlier 1 or 2 o'clock settings.

To get an idea for the last statement. Try setting at 11 o'clock and then at maximum to compare the EQ change from the knob.

Players usually use the DARK or MID at 10 or 11 o'clock or 1 or 2 o'clock.

Players usually use the BRIGHT at 10 or 11 o'clock or max knob setting (around 5 o'clock.)"

20. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Where is their site? The site posted on this thread didnt have pricing info or a place to order!