ChaseBliss/Benson Automatone Preamp MKII is here.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM.

1. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

It's here and you can pre-order now.

https://www.chaseblissaudio.com/shop-pedals/preamp-mkii

[​IMG]

PREAMP MKII
    $749.00

The first Automatone.

What happens when you combine the DNA of Benson Amps’ Chimera in a box Preamp with a little fuzz, some of Condor’s resonant parametric mids, and full blown preset control from your friends at Chase Bliss Audio? The Preamp MKII. Built in collaboration with Chris Benson from Benson Amps, and known around here as the first Automatone.

This baby has variable diode clipping control (transistor only, silicon, and asymmetrical germanium), fuzz you can swap from open to gated, three mids resonance settings with variable routing you can place before or after the preamp, and three banks of ten presets each that give you thirty presets to set at your leisure.

But what’s an Automatone, you ask? It’s a pedal built with motorized knobs that adjust automatically – and a little magically – as you cycle through presets. Check out the video below to learn more and see it in action.

Expected release May 2020

2. loftyrocket

loftyrocket Member

The “analog” version of this (the diy looking one in the video) would be a sick release as well.

Damn. I’m sure the Chase Bliss booth at NAMM is going to be chaos, but imma try to give this guy a whirl nonetheless.

SimAlex, yawiney, Hanlon92 and 3 others like this.
  3. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

It's gonna be chaos indeed but it would be really cool if you could share your first-hand experience and any extra info, oh and they also have blooper.

Hanlon92 and vlammie like this.
  4. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

Let me preface by saying I don't want to be a downer about this. Honestly, I love CBA and Benson as companies and their innovation is exciting, but this one has me worried for several reasons. First, that many moving parts in a $750 pedal stomped on by your feet? Yikes. I also think it's overly complicated for what it is. Perhaps I could more appreciate this sort of complexity in a unique CBA delay or what have you, I just don't need a drive/fuzz with all sorts of automated knobs and preset settings (especially after my experience with the Brothers). To me, this release just screams proof of concept more than anything else. Like "we had this cool idea, then applied it to... a distortion pedal". I don't know, maybe I'm looking at it wrong and it's main appeal is as a novelty/collectors item.

friend33, Crowder, blackba and 17 others like this.
  5. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I totally get where you are coming from, so, yeah it could be, however, I also like that CBA is trying new ideas, as far as I know, this is the 1st pedal in a new line of pedals with the Automatone line and features, so, we'll see how it's received and evolves with different effects and feedback.

Personally I'm excited to see where this goes, when I 1st encounter CBA pedals a long time ago I remember thinking "it's too much for me" Now I have 7 of their pedals hehe.

New ground to explore!

jacopo and truckin like this.
  6. vlammie

vlammie Member

This might become my only drive pedal.
    Keep in mind there's also a (gated) fuzz inside.
    It's cheaper than the brothers/condor combination... :cool:

songtalk, FokenBusker and hippieboy like this.
  7. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Supporting Member

I have 11 CBA pedals and want this, but I may just have to wait. As I said in the other thread on this, I have to think about paying $750 up front for something that's not going to be available for 4 to 5 months.

yawiney and hippieboy like this.
  8. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

Wow! Didn't expect a company to leapfrog the RevivalDrive in price. That's impressively expensive.

9. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Fu@%

The builder of my favorite amp gets together with the builder of my favorite pedals...

... Yeah, I'm gonna have to sell some ish, but I need to make this happen.

To be honest, this really seems like overkill (and unnecessary added cost) with the motorized faders (these never seemed to go over well in other pro audio products), but heck, you only live once.

Dee S One, vlammie and hippieboy like this.
  10. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

That's a very good point, it's less than that combo, and it has some very interesting things in it.

Yup it's a lot, I'm still thinking if I can afford it hehe. But it definitely looks awesome.

You only live once indeed! :cool:

vlammie likes this.
  11. ellsworthman

If they weren't going to charge my card now, I'd be on it. The Space Case Tape Echo - which still isn't available, more than 20 months after they started taking pre-order money - soured me for good on giving builders large amounts of cash upfront.

Abram4235, ljs, Sam Hill and 2 others like this.
  12. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I need to wait a couple weeks, but I’m in. Here’s hoping the pre-order is up for a while.

hippieboy likes this.
  13. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

CBA has stellar customer service as you probably already know, I don't think Joel is gonna miss the date. Having said that, I totally get you.

yawiney, Hanlon92 and ellsworthman like this.
  14. ellsworthman

Yeah, it has nothing to do with CBA...they always treat me great.

hippieboy likes this.
  15. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

I was about to call you on this but checked the site to make sure things hadn’t changed...

Indeed they have. Since when is the brothers $499!? That is nuts.

In any event the used market would be a good place to source this pair since the resale has not been as strong compared to the delays. The hardest pedals for me to sell last year were the brothers and condor.

16. stagolee

I think you make some good points. As much as the engineer in me wants to try this thing out, I think it’s more prudent in my case to wait for the next automatone. I’m pretty happy with fuzz and boosts and really prefer to lean on my amps tone anyway. Looks like a great option to those not using an amp, though.

dg87 and truckin like this.
  17. Airoz

Airoz Member

I’d much rather save up and buy an actual mic pre or a used tape echo

18. stagolee

I think it’s going to be tough for me to get out of 2020 without an RE-201ish addition :)

19. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

That's gotta be a misprint on the new site. No way they raised the price by $150 when all the other pedals stayed the same.

hippieboy likes this.
  20. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I have been eyeing the Space Case for a while now. I didn't know about this!