ChaseBliss/Benson Automatone Preamp MKII is here.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

2nd in the MKII line, or maybe a different colorway?

magnus02, vlammie and hippieboy like this.
  2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Agreed on Jay and Phelps. They have styles most like mine and I also play a Chimera. :)

Gallery likes this.
  3. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I think that is number 2 :eek: maybe the collab with Meris?

vlammie and Rob Evans like this.
  4. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

CxM?

That’s the Meris collab thing. 1978? Uhhhh... somebody help me.

EDIT - Oh. The Boss DS-1 came out in 1978. It’s a DS-1 w/midi. Haha

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. ranchofm

ranchofm Member

Agreed. This isn't really on my radar, but, pending actual in-the-room tones, it looks amazing and I don't think it's overpriced.

My guess is that my bandmate, who has 2 (two!!!) RevivalDrives on his board, will show up with an Automatone at a gig gushing about it, declare it unusable after the first set, and hand it to me to borrow for a week. Win-win!

6. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I have to agree with those raising concerns about the motorized faders. It's not that I don't think Chase Bliss wouldn't stand by their products or that they hadn't field tested this to some degree. Mechanical parts are simply more subject to wear and tear and eventual failure (and require more maintenance) than solid state electronics. It may be difficult to test the effect of years or even decades of the faders moving and while also accumulating dust and debris from the floor. Maybe I am wrong and they beat the sh#t out of some prototypes and production models, logged hundreds of thousands of changes. I would assume changes during a normal gig would be less than a hundred, only a few times per song at most, but at any rate, the wear and tear will add up.

I appreciate that the faders provide a WYSIWYG aspect to pedal settings that has been absent until now. At the same time I think banks of LEDs for each knob (sort of like the organ drawbars on NORD keyboards) might have been a better, more durable option. Time will tell.

7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

CXM: Chase bliss X Meris

lol

8. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

The crowd that buys Chase Bliss pedals doesn't tend to keep those pedals for years or even decades.

9. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

This is the kind of innovation that makes me glad to be alive. Even the crusty reactions here are part of the explosion.

I will go to NAMM, play my guitar through this glorious box and, based on past experience, begin the financial planning process.

songtalk, Abram4235, vlammie and 2 others like this.
  10. mutait

mutait Member

I'm loving how much fun Joel is having teasing and tantalizing everyone. As for the Automatone, I'm all aboard the hype train. From my past CBA experiences, I'm either going to love it immediately and wonder where it's been all my life or I'm going to struggle with it for a few enjoyable months until I realize it's not for me then sell it to someone more patient than myself. As for pricing, the RD Custom Drive taught me that it's worth paying two or three times the price of another OD pedal for a pedal that I end up liking 4 or 5 times better. I'm hoping it's the same with the Automatone.

vlammie, Gallery and hippieboy like this.
  11. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

My first CBA pedal was tonal recall, that was in 2016, still have it, still love it, my favorite delay actually :cool: hard to keep it for a decade when the company is not even 10 years old lol, one thing I'm sure, I'm not gonna sell that pedal ever ;)

songtalk, run23, djudemcg and 2 others like this.
  12. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

That sounds like a very prejudice statement based on your own conjecture. Typical of TGP. But perhaps I'm interpreting it wrong.

I still own every CB pedal (all 9) I've purchased and they all get used. I know many other loyal CB customers who are the same.

vlammie, ellsworthman and hippieboy like this.
  13. Gallery

Just to be the devil on your shoulder...

The Chase Bliss website does accept Paypal... and Paypal does offer 6 months interest free financing... which is roughly $125 a month... Most of you probably spend that on Starbucks.

Just sayin'...:Devil

vlammie, tawtaw and hippieboy like this.
  14. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Damn that is cool.

hippieboy likes this.
  15. seanp33

seanp33 Member

Well I bit the bullet and pre-ordered. Number 92 here. I really do think this will cover all my drive/fuzz needs based on what I've seen from the Benson Preamp and condor. This will be my sixth CBA pedal.

Side note - A good thing about pre-ordering directly from CBA if you live in the USA is you can probably avoid paying sales tax (unless you live in Minnesota). This to me made up for waiting for it to show up to dealers on Reverb as they are required to collect sales taxes.

DaveNJ and hippieboy like this.
  16. Gallery

We ordered about 3 hours apart, so that's just over 2 of these selling per hour. Not bad for a $700 pedal.

I normally try to buy CB pedals from my local shop. The tax is only 3.5%. However, the attraction of getting in early on the pre-order AND the idea of paying through paypal interest free financing so that I'm not dropping $750 on a pedal 6 months before it's even available both pushed me to go direct this time.

hippieboy likes this.
  17. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Holding off to see what that CxM pedal is...

guitarman92 and hippieboy like this.
  18. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

some people think it's the 1978 Lexicon 224 reverb.

Jason Calieri likes this.
  19. guitarman92

guitarman92 Member

min leaving towards that too. The new pic shows that it’s stereo.

but to keep this thread on topic, I’m super excited for this pedal. Only thing that could derail me from getting it in the future is if that new origin revivaldrive is a high gain version of their original one.....

hippieboy likes this.
  20. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Chase bliss is on a roll! and looks like these pedals will keep the roll hehe I want to listen more of the preamp!

guitarman92 likes this.