Chasing Jimmy Page Royal Albert Hall tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by el nino, Jan 25, 2012.

1. el nino

el nino Member

hey guys

this thread about catalinbread rah pedal fueled my interest in jimmys tone on royal albert hall dvd once again.

i know he used custom hiwatts but to me i think those tones can be replicated with a good tonebender fuzz...

this was discused before but what i'm thinking is making a tonebender mkii clone and going with OC 75 transistors...

...but i bought a skreddy lunar module deluxe (still waiting for that one to arive) and was curious if it's possible to get this kind of tones out of lunar module:

on 2:00 he goes into zeppelin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGmxCe1_Fg

and of course this tone (especially after the blues intro when he goes into the riff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm3zUQjG5no&feature=related

2. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

A MKII won't get you there. What you need for this tone is an early Mark III type of Tone Bender.

3. el nino

el nino Member

ok i know there is talk that by the late 69 he switched to mkiii tonebender,but i was interested if lunar module can sound close to a tonebender?especially those jimmy tones?

4. McQ7

McQ7 Member

Don't know if you saw the thread, "NPD: Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe," but there's a comment in there about using the Lunar Module and the ScrewDriver--that you can get just about the same tones of the SD on the LM just by rolling the volume knob back. Since some players like the ScrewDriver for Zeppelin, there may be something in the LunarModule that can get close. I play a lot of Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, so I've considered a LunarModule for the latter and if it works for Zeppelin, it would be a bonus. But as others have said, I don't think it would nail it like a Germanium Tonebender would.

5. el nino

el nino Member

thats exactly what i was wondering myself,everybody claims it's the most versatile fuzz and having three silicon bc109 it should be able to do the tonebender type sounds when rolling back the volume knob on your guitar,but as you stated probably not as warm as germanium fuzzes,hopefully someone will chime in who already used it like a tonebender...if it really can do those sounds :)

6. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

MKIII on the cheap would be a Soulbender but I think Fulltone is using 3 NKT-275 so it won't be exactly the same.

Maybe the dude at Montgomery Appliances could hook you up.

7. marantz

marantz Member

IMO, the tone of those Hiwatts will never be replicated by any fuzz

8. gibsonsg73

gibsonsg73 Supporting Member

I agree, I think you're going in the wrong direction. That said the LM can be tweaked to work really well with a Les Paul, but I've never played mine and thought RAH (one of my favorite tones).

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yeah, IDK why this is even being discussed.

10. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

Great tones, but I don't think you'd find it in the LM, though it excels at other things.

11. alguit

alguit Member

I've actually found the Catalinbread RAH to be a great version of those overdriven tones and, short of getting a different amp, I'm satisfied.

Alan

12. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

If you use humbuckers
    Lumpy's Lemon Drop is a close to Led Zeppelin as I've heard in a pedal.

13. Lumpy's Tone Shop

Lumpy's Tone Shop Member

Yes it was. There is no Tone Bender or any other fuzz pedal there. Except for a few isolated gigs, he didn't use a Tone Bender passed June '69 on stage.

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I think this means they were'nt just ANY Hiwatts....
    They were heavily customized.

15. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Not sure why folks think Hiwatts are particularly clean. They break up when cranked.

16. Lumpy's Tone Shop

Lumpy's Tone Shop Member

Well what you're hearing on the recording isn't quite what his Hiwatts actually sounded like to begin with. His tone at the RAH gig seems overly fuzzy at times because of the recording. Why this is I don't quite know, perhaps the recording gear couldn't handle the volume of his rig. But if you listen to the few audience taped pieces of the RAH performance his tone is much more in line with his typical late '69 and early '70 tone.

If he used a pedal, you'd see it on the floor and all that was there was his wah, a footswitch for the Hiwatt (wedge shaped box) and his Echoplex footswitch.

I went through a Page gear obsession a few years ago... it kind of stuck with me since so I know these quirky details :D

17. mdclark58

mdclark58 Member

Somewhere between salvation and redemption.

+1.
    love me some RAH.
    well done, cbread.

18. Lumpy's Tone Shop

Lumpy's Tone Shop Member

His Hiwatts weren't the typical Hiwatt though, they were based on the SAP circuit. His had a little more breakup, as well as a different feel.

Here's a better example of his Hiwatt tone http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=WTUMgNIcUhY

If you were at the Royal Albert Hall that night you'd hear a tone more like that, not the over the top sound on the official recording. I used to think he used a fuzz pedal too at RAH but once you add the custom Hiwatt and recording together the mystery is solved.

19. Lumpy's Tone Shop

Lumpy's Tone Shop Member

I know, that's the point. Same exact gear setup, but different sounds. The RAH recording itself is why it seems fuzzier with more attack.

20. Lumpy's Tone Shop

Lumpy's Tone Shop Member

I'm talking about the guitar track only, not the entire recording as whole. If you hear some of audience taped pieces of the show, you can hear his guitar tone is typical of his late '69 and 1970 Hiwatt tone.

There is simply no fuzz pedal there. On top of that, you can see his amp settings at a few points during the show. Everything is nearly dimed. If you put a fuzz pedal into a dimed JP Hiwatt it's a wall of mud.