Cheap 24.75 guitars with actual mahogany necks and bodies?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nickerz, Feb 1, 2020.

1. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Member

One simple answer, Schecter C1 plus or C1 custom. You can only find them used now but they're an amazing value, both my schecter's cost me no more than three hundred bucks, after some minor pickup upgrades and a proper setup they play heavenly. I'll take my Schecter over any Les Paul at this point., Plus I don't like Les Paul's to begin with...

Edit, Schecter guitars mentioned above are made in South Korea, so you're probably going to end up with the same wood you didn't like from the epiphone so please disregard my suggestion. Carry on...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  2. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Is this mahogany better than that mahogany? Is ash better than alder? Does old wood sound better than new wood? Is there any recognized lumber grading authority that grades wood for tone? No? Then should I go down the internet rabbit hole or am I doomed to actually having to believe my own ears. It's all so confusing.:eek:

My cheap Gibson like guitar is an Agile 2500 with upgraded Duncan 59 pickups. I'm not going to attempt to describe how it sounds because verbally describing tone is about as fruitful as trying to catch a fart and paint it green but my ears and fingers like it and that's good enough for me. What I can say is that as long as they are happy I'm more than willing to admit that I don't know and I don't care why. The other thing I know is that listening to marketing hype can give one an awful case of OCD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    amstrtatnut and thomas4th like this.
  3. DRS

DRS Member

Champagne taste - beer budget
    That's the real story here.

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

PRS SE Soapbar double Cut!

magicaxeman likes this.
  5. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

My AL 2000 was white and weighed only 8lbs on the nose. I lost it in a fire. The only white one I see on Rondo is in the 400 range now. Its an AL 3100, I believe.

Maybe Ill grab one off ebay if I get lucky.

PS was not aware maple neck. Pretty sure Rodo states mahogany for the whole AL line.

6. dspellman

dspellman Member

That would certainly be true for the whole AL-3XXX line.

I know that the specs listed on some of the old AL-2000 series guitars' web pages could be a bit wonky, but almost every review from about 10 years ago calls the 2000 out as a maple neck guitar with a rosewood fretboard (they are on both of mine), while the 3000 series (with a few exceptions) are done of mahogany with ebony fretboards, and that's true of all of the 3XXX series I own except for the 3200 series, which has a maple and walnut multilayer neck. The inlays on the 2000 series are pearloid (plastic, same as a Gibson Standard), while the 3000 series (with the exception of the cheaper 3010SE series) have either real MOP or Abalone inlays.

7. jujube

jujube Member

A lot of guitars are now using African mahogany which is not part of Swietenia genus. You can also use Spanish Cedar which is not a cedar but closely related to the mahogany genus. So trade names can be confusing.

Just evaluate a guitar on its sound.

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

What quality pickups and electronics are in the SE245?

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Sure is purty! ;)

10. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

Seriously, what is even going on in this thread?

Bassopotamus likes this.
  11. wattage

wattage Member

Vintage has some

12. Nickerz

Nickerz Member

This thread exists for a simple reason. I wanted to order guitars which I had a good understanding of their characteristics, without having played them, and this adds complication to that. If I order a M\M neck and body bolton guitar, I should expect the guitar to be very, very dark and punchy. Unless you start calling basswood with a mahogany cap, mahogany. If I wanted an Ibanez I would have bought an Ibanez.

13. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Try a Vintage Brand V100 series. Preferably a AFD (Appetite for Destruction Slash model) or PGM (Peter Green/Gary Moore) model. Try ebay. With some love, a set up and maybe tuner replacement, these are great Gibson Les Pauls without the Gibson. The two models I mentioned also come with thick Maple caps!

As someone said, in Asia they may use a substitute cousin tree type that has the same or very similar sonic impact on the sound. I don't think it matters so much as long as the tone comes through and the build is good bones. The Vintage brand is put out by Trevor Wilkinson who knew Leo Fender and Les Paul very well and knows a lot of their secrets to their guitar constructions and the knowledge shines on these guitars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintag...692260?hash=item1cc6944da4:g:bhAAAOSwKfFbnXZl

14. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

Upon seeing this thread I immediately thought Harley Benton, and of course, that search did not disappoint. Here's a Junior shaped model with a dog-eared P-90 under $220 USD shipped. I do not know how 'actual' the mahogany is on Harley Bentons, but that's what it says. If I didn't already have an equivalent P-90 loaded Junior, I'd be looking at this one.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_sc_junior_vintage_sunburst.htm

[​IMG]

15. Jutaika

Jutaika Member

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

A rule of thumb, if the description doesn't say "genuine mahogany", or "Honduran mahogany", or "South American mahogany", assume you do not have swietenia macrophylla until you can establish the specifics with further research. And the wood may originated in Asia even if it is legitimately genuine mahogany. Stating "mahogany" is like saying "rosewood back and sides". If it doesn't say "solid rosewood" expect a laminate. Doesn't say genuine mahogany...you get the drift.

With that in mind, a lot of the guitars folks are calling out could be any of the generic mahogany species, however related or not.

There is a high probability that even Gibson Custom shop models from certain years are not genuine mahogany. A quick look at the Gibson website I saw no reference that indicates genuine mahogany is used on any models today. Maybe it is in the fine print generically but specific details for specific models don't say it. I recall Gibson picked up genuine mahogany circa 2007 but I can't find mention of it in todays product line. Someone more in the know can help here?

Martin is under the gun for subbing woods for genuine mahogany without warning. Necks of Spanish cedar for example. I happen to like Spanish cedar but it would be nice to know. Maybe.

Beyond that, I am not that particular and I assume most if not all of the reasonably priced guitars I prefer these days that are made of "mahogany" are actually made of some mahogany like wood. And mahogany like works fine for me. But not for everyone. Obviously.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Cliff Jitters likes this.
  17. dspellman

dspellman Member

Guitars with a mahogany neck and body are not necessarily (and not often) "very very dark and punchy." This is not necessarily a characteristic of a mahogany guitar.

fjrabon likes this.
  18. JSutter

JSutter Member

Mine had G&B 245 humbuckers. 2 wire, measured about 8k and 11k ohms. The guitar was fine stock. I swapped in JB/Jazz. I didn't not notice a night and day difference back when I swapped them.

Fast forward, just the other day I installed the 245 p/us into my Epiphone LP. The bridge p/u sounded dull and boring. It did not sound as good as the stock HotCH. Neck was just fine.

19. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

This is a very TGP thread. OP was happy with epiphone until he read some stuff on a message board about having the wrong magic tone woods. Now he has to replace his entire collection to get da right toan woodz

20. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yep, my US made Honduran mahogany PRS Vela is all mahogany and is the brightest guitar I own (including strats and teles).

I had a single P90 SG junior that was also bright as heck. And firebirds can be cut your face off bright as well.