cheap 2nd amp for clean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axelicker, Jan 15, 2006.

1. axelicker

axelicker Member

I using a single channel head that does a great job at mid-high gain. I want to stick with it since it is a known (good) quantity. It cleans up OK but it's useless to me in a band situation, there's not enough space in our music to tweak knobs. Thus I want to add a 2nd amp for clean tone -like a nice bouncy/chimey Fender. I'm thinking an open backed 2x10 combo or a head/cab, preferably this amp would get along with a pedal or 2 for some grit too.
    Trouble is I want to spend <$500. Impossible? I have eyes on a YCV40 or old Fender head (though at my price it will probably need work or the guy would have kept it!). Whatdya think?

2. Matt H

Matt H Guest

if you're willing to shop the used market

look for a silverface fender bassman (likely a bassman 50) that's been recently serviced... you should be able to pick one up for around 300 (there was one in the emporium not long ago)

that leaves 200 bucks for a cab- save up another 30 bucks or so, and you've got yourself a nice used avatar 2x12... OR, just shop around for your cab of choice on the cheap. open backed cabs, in my opinion, sound better for cleans and as an added bonus- tend to be cheaper.

3. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

'Cause it bears mentioning...

Fender Hot Rod series, either the 1x12" Deluxe or 2x12" DeVille.

The Peavey Delta Blues 2x10" is a nice amp, and a speaker upgrade can make it even sweeter.

Both amps work well with overdrive/distortion pedals. Hell, you may even start leaving your other amp behind... just don't try the Drive channel!

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Try a Fender Princeton Chorus - solid state. Yes, I am completely serious :eek:. Open-back 2x10", something like 35W per side (stereo), older US-made model not the Dyna-Touch series. You'll easily get one for under $500 even in great shape.

I played through one of these at a gig a few months ago after being told a "Fender Blues-something" would be provided, and after the initial annoyance on seeing it I was shocked at how good it sounded - so much so that when I did the same gig again a few weeks later I asked for the Princeton. I ran a Mesa V-1, Frantone Brooklyn overdrive and a Boss Distortion-Feedbacker through it, only on the clean channel, and it was loud enough (just) to not need to be mic'ed in a 50-capacity or so small bar. I'm playing the same place again next month, and I'm planning on using the Fender :).

5. axelicker

axelicker Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I might have taken it personally if there was no response since this type of rig is quite popular on this board ;)
    John I'm not completely surprised by your suggestion. The last Fender I owned was 10 years ago when I picked up a SS Ultimate Chorus on a whim. My ears didn't have nearly the experience they do now (dozens of amps later) but I thought it had brilliant clean tone at the time. I am somewhat concerned with power since our drummer is heavy-handed but of course not all power ratings are created equal. OTOH I know some Fenders are stupid loud to where I could barely crack the vol knob (Twin, Super, Deluxe Rvb) so I was looking last night at something like a Vibrolux, though have never heard one.
    I'm not ruling out a SS amp; just thought it's hard to go wrong with a 6L6/5881 Fender, and I don't want that JC type of clinical clean.
    BTW any thoughts on the YCV40?

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

Fender Bassman 100. I paid $350 for mine on Fleabay. You'll need a cab but there are all kinds of cheep guitar cabs on Fleabay, and they are big and heavy but they are a good clean amp since they were designed to be a bass amp. I rebuilt mine into sort of a BF Twin/Super clone.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

In addition to the suggestions above, used MusicMan amps will also get you into Fender-type cleans at a reasonable price...

8. onemind

onemind Member

I'll give a strong vote for the Hot Rod Deluxe, under 500 new (if you shop), and although (for me) the drive channel is useless, it has great punchy, warm, and Loud clean sounds.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Reverend Hellhound or Goblin-very nice Fenderesque clean tones and quite light. Honorable mention to the Fender HRs, the Peavey Classics (a 50 would give you more headroom) and the Roland JC120 (VERY clean, nice chorus, just don't use that distortion knob...).

10. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Might want to check out a Carvin Belair or Nomad. They get great tube cleans. The Peavey Classic and Fender HRs are similar and would work. For solid state cleans, I was gonna say the Roland JC, but since you don't like that maybe a Tech 21 Trademark 60.

11. Marty McFly

Marty McFly Member

The Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe are similar amps with nice clean tones. Blues Deluxe is a bit warmer, and doesn't have the extra gain channel that most feel is useless anyway. (I just picked up a Blues Deluxe, and am pretty happy with it). I'm finding that I'm more of a 1x12" guy rather than a 2x10" guy, and both amps deliver that pretty well even with their stock 12" speakers.

The Traynor YCV40's are also good. I have the 2x10 (YCV-40T) that I may be selling soon. The cleans of the Traynor are pretty close to the Fender camp, and the gain channel is more useable than the Hot Rod Deluxe. The reverb isn't as great as Fender reverb, but it's useable.

12. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I had a YCV40 for a while. I traded it for a Deluxe Reverb which I then traded for a MArshall 1974x. The Traynor was actually fantastic. It's also really versatile. You get a great Fender clean tone as well as a really nice gain channel with an extra boost. The newer wine red YCV's also come with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, which are great. I also really liked the reverb in the amp as well. Not quite as lush as a Fender but still really great. Like Marty McFly said, it's a lot like a Fender Hot Rod amp but I found it was considerably more vintage sounding.

13. axelicker

axelicker Member

Just to follow up on this, I indeed ended up picking up a Princeton Chorus, and I think I'll be quite happy with it. Thanks for the suggestion. It was half the price a Fender tube amp in similar good condition. It sounds sweet and has plenty of spank and sparkle. Otherwise it was either going to be Peavey Classic or Traynor YCV but they both get far more volume than I need and it's cool that this has reverb and chorus so I can just run straight in without complicating my pedal board by sharing FX.

14. Amplite

Amplite Member

Surprise yourself and Try a Crate Power Block!

15. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

For $350 I love the clean tones of the Roland Cube 60 modeling amp running the blackface model.

16. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I've owned tons of amps, good and bad.
    Here's a few that are loud and clean and cost effective.
    KMD 80 watter. Solid state with the round tranformers. I had an endorsement with them in the 80's. The loud clean tone is unsurpassed, but the lead channel is ???. I see them cheap every now and then. It is the amp I keep in the band trailer 360 the last 7 years as a back-up to my Matchless/Bad Cats.
    The other...Peavey Bandit 60 watt with the highend speaker (Sheffield?).
    Went to a practice hall and sat in with some friends. All that was there was the Bandit (some friends,eh?).
    It did suprise me. Loud and clean, and they are cheap as well.
    2 good choices if you want to buy on the cheap...really cheap!

17. sage97

sage97 Member

Which pedals would you recommend to get high gain tones out of the hellhound?