Cheap 335s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tj1004, Dec 17, 2009.

1. tj1004

tj1004 Member

I have always wanted to have a 335 style guitar to have around the house. I dont want to spend much at all b/c this guitar will most likely be used for slide. I have been looking at the Xaviere XV900 and the Epiphone Dot. I have read nothing but good things about the XV900 and the Dot as well. Anyone have experience with both guitars? I need a little help with this one, thanks in advance

2. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

I always liked the Ibanez AS80, not sure if they still make them but great guitars for the money.

3. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I kept one of those over an old 335. It's a great guitar!

4. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I know you guys hate Epis here but I have an Epi 335 that is pretty cool. Plays great and sounds awesome. Cost me 300 bucks shipped and came with a set of 57 Classics. Not a bad deal at all.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  6. alguit

alguit Member

I've played a few nice Epi dots. And those Ibanez guitars always seem to be great values with good tones. I've never played a Tradition, but there seems to be a lot of positive talk about them.

I don't know if any stores have them still, but Hamer marketed an import called the Echotone which was quite nice.

Also the Epiphone Sheraton is a very well-made guitar that cops a nice 335 vibe for a lot less money-though about twice the amount of the Dot series.

Finally (but not for this thread-I imagine you're going to get dozens of suggestions), how about trying to track down an Orville 335? They were made in Japan for Gibson and meant for Japanese buyers, but they show up here once in a while, and there are some dealiers selling used ones. I played one once at a guitar show in NJ, it was used, selling for around $600.00 and stood neck to neck with any 335 I'd ever played.

All the best in your search!

-Alan

7. Lowlands Erik

Lowlands Erik Member

No experience with the Xaviere or Epi but you could try an Edwards SA-125 LTS or a Tokai ES-120. Edwards has SD pups standard. Wonderful quality and playability (both).

cheers
    Erik

8. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have an epi dot and I ,ove it...Ibanez artcores also make an excellent 335 style semi-hollow...

9. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Highland Royal. You can get them on ebay under $400 w/ a nice hardshell case.

10. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

Keep a look out for any Hohner Professional SE35 series guitars on Ebay etc. They are from the 80's and from the same series as the Hohner Telecaster, Prince has played for years. Excellent guitars, I bought mine on the back of a battle of the budget 335's review in the British guitar mag TGM&B away back in the mid 90's in which it won by a mile. I have bought and sold many guitars since then but that one is a keeper.

11. alw

alw Member

Checkout the Agile AS820 from Rondo Music. Made in Korea.

12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Lots of good inexpensive 335 type guitars out there. Ones I've tried and liked include the Epi Dot, Washburn HB35, Hohner HS35, Hangstrom Viking, Ibanez Artcore series. I have an Artcore AS73 that is really a great guitar. You should really give the Hangstrom a try as well.

13. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Just got a Tokai ES60. Love it!

14. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I got an ibanez as70? red 335 style guitar at the musicians friend clearance warehouse a few years ago for...$240. :)

I like it a lot regardless of the price. I did replace the pups with some duncan hb's.

15. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I quite like my Reverend Mata Ray. Plays great and sounds wonderful. Most guitars in the range you are talking may need a pick up swap. I only think that is neccessary if microphonics are an issue. If you don't do any high gain playing than the Rev Pups sound really good.

[​IMG]

16. mikenov

mikenov Member

played hagstroms. very nice. Artcores.. very nice but can need some cleaning up, uneven frets, set up ect. fundementally a great guitar especially for the money.
    I own several Heritage semi hollows and they are GREAT guitars but somewhat expensive. Not compared to the Gibson alternative but over 1K. Those are all keepers though.

17. hammersig

hammersig Member

Another vote for the Ibanez As series, or a Tokai or Orville. All great guitars.

18. freekbird

freekbird Member

I love my EpiDot

threw some SDs in it and it sounds and plays great

would i rather have a gibson? sure. for $2-3k? no way.

19. jrm

jrm Member

I had an epi dot deluxe that I really really really wanted to like. Think I got a lemon though. I'd love to give another one a shot...

20. lonejackrd

lonejackrd Member

I bought a used epiphone sheraton. The headstock actually says "Epiphone by Gibson" as the inlay. Paid $450.