cheap awesome compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am thinking on getting a compressor, but I have NEVER owned or used one before. I am really interested in the FK-1, or the tonepress because well, the price is right. Has anyone tried either of these? Which did you like?

2. glynn

glynn Member

The tone press kicks ..errr... compresses much booty.

The blend function is awesome, and it works well as a boost. Damn fine box.

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

www.pedalworx.com. check out the clips there!

4. granite

granite Member

Not a household name...yet, but I would encourage you to take a look at the Kaden Effects Sapsucker Compressor especially if you don't have any experience with compressors. Pretty simple to use and high quality. I own two Kaden pedals so far (Fluttertone & Flamingo Fuzz) and the build quality and tone of them are superb. Good price as well.

http://www.kadeneffects.com/sapsucker.htm

I bought my Kaden pedals through Tone Factor and was 100% pleased.
    http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Sapsucker

5. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

G&L - based on the number and frequency of your pedal questions, here is the best advice I can give you:

Nobody can tell you what you will like or not like. You can read all of the reviews and ask all the questions, but the only way to get your answers is to try for yourself. Which brings me to the next bit of advice...

As Dr. Rico has said, buy used and play for free. Look for good deals on used pedals that have your interest. Then buy, try and, if you don't like it, sell it for no loss. This is the best way to decide what you like.

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

im liking the analongman juicer or bi-comp.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

The analog man comps are great, but not inexpensive!!

8. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

It seems that everytime I get a compressor, I end up never using it.:( At gig volumes, it just isn't necessary for the stuff I do. Recently, however, I did get to spend time with a Retrosonic Compressor. That is definitely a possibility. For me, the "recovery" feature is a big plus.

9. Cary Chilton

scottcw
    Assumed superior

I know how many questions that I have asked. I am asking comparative questions to REDUCE the already high number of pedals that I am interested in buying. I have bought 3 pedals based on the advice of forum members. BTW scott I live in Asia not America. So to go any music shop, try to speak in Chinese if they have a particular pedal, they will show me a Taiwan made BOSS pedal. You get me? So I have to as much damn research on the net as I can to reduce the number of pedals that I want to try. THat REDUCTION in number is already about 14 OVERDIVE pedals from 100 USD to 250 an item(not including the very costly transpacific shipping). I don't know if you are a millionaire, but I am not. So I want to keep these costs down. I want to noodle with them here for awhile and when I go back home to visit I will try them on my plexi marshall and decide what 2-3 pedals I am keeping. Then re-sell as mentioned; has been my plan all along. Not an easy thing to do blindly(my TAiwan amp is solid state).

THank you for your post.

10. blong

blong Supporting Member

Go online to General Guitar Gadgets (search for the site) and look into their OS-1 Orange Squeezer compressor. For the money it is hard to beat. If it were twice the price, it would be hard to beat. It is tight, clean, and quite possibly the best comp, and the only one I like, outside the original, or the OS side of the Bi-Comp. GGG pedals have not hit it big on the market, but they build quality stuff. I own the standard overdrive by them and absolutely love it. There is some debate as to whether it is a poor man's Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive or not. It gets closer than any other pedal, and other than the Landy, it is the next best thing to make notes jump out of you amp's speakers. I am probably gonna order another, and still have money to buy a third pedal for the price of a Landy. I will say that nothing compares completely to a Landgraff, as far as I have heard in pedals, but the next best thing is the GGG-Standard Overdrive.

Bob

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

12. Cary Chilton

ya GGG pedals! nice clips too! thanks mang!

13. Tchello

Tchello Member

My vote is for MXR Super Comp, the black new one. A very good
    compressor and also inexpensive.

14. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Cheap?...and darn good sounding? DOD Milkbox...lots of flexibility & clarity, can squish or be subtle.
    Greg

15. muddy

muddy Member

the std overdrive and the bsiab2 are both EXCELLENT!! i don't know about the landy, as i've never played through one, but it DOES sound damn close to my cjod, DAMN close!!!

the bsiab2 is just all 'round liquid goodness! the new revision adds a 4th "contour" knob. the contour and tone controls work in conjuction, the contour a variable on the tone. you can find the amount of bass you want in the tone control and then focus in on the frequency with the contour. the previous 3-knob version is like having the contour on at about half-way with no control over it. scary! :cool:

ml

16. Ol' T-Bone

Ol' T-Bone Supporting Member

G&L--I would ask what you want the compressor to do (primarily) before I would suggest anything. Some players like a deliberate, audible "squash" to the sound. They frequently kick the comp on and off as an effect. For this function many players like some variation (there are many) of the old Ross compressor. As you crank a tube amp into distortion and it begins to compress on its own, this effect can become less useful. For things like clean county leads it can really take the icepick edge off yer chicken-pickin' and fatten things up.

Other players want to smooth out dynamic peaks, even out their string response, and thicken their sound imperceptibly. These players may leave a compressor on all the time. Studio-rack stuff (like old DBX) works well for this but you may have to buffer the output of your guitar or make impedence adjustments. The MenaTone does this nicely as a stompbox, but you can't individually adjust parameters.

So, which thing do you want from the compressor? HTH, Bone

17. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I'll second the Milkbox.