Cheap but quality multiFX solution (in a small footprint)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d3nzi0, Feb 22, 2012.

1. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

Hi,

As a cheap but quality multi FX solution would you pick the Zoom G3 over the Line 6 M5?

I already have the M5 and love the Octo verb and filter effects on it. Would the G3 be a good compliment or replacement? Don't really care about the amp simulation nor the looper/drum machine functions, just a solid unit for modulation and delay/verbs.

2. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I love my G3, better processor than the M5 by a long shot and very user friendly, no deep diving for editing though you can if you so desire. Plus it runs on batteries so you can bring it wherever you want to go with just that, a guitar and a pair of headphones.

3. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

so many players considered exactly what the OP is thinking of doing.......and sold their multi fx units. consider me in this group several times, i always found a multitude of shortcomings with every fx unit i ever owned and always sold them on.

4. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Me too. I've tried to switch at least a half dozen times, and always come back to individual pedals. I have an RP355 that I use for recording sometimes, but in a band context, no more multi units for me.

5. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Well, what I like about the M5: It's simulating just one single effect at a time. I would probably never use it as a dirt pedal, but it has some decent modulation, filter, reverb and pitch sounds, it has two of my favourite delay algos (Tube Delay and Auto Volume Echo ... still haven't found any other digital unit that can replace them, and I owned a Superdelay and still own a Strymon Timeline ... check videos below), and it has a very easy to configure expression pedal control. I wouldn't use it to REPLACE my individual effects (I currently have 4 dirt boxes, 3 of them dual, plus a wah, a volume pedal, a Subdecay Prometheus DLX filter, a Pigtronix EP-2 envelope phaser, a Subdecay Octasynth and the Timeline on my board), but rather to complement them.

Haven't tried the Zoom G3, on the Youtube demos it looks like it has a nice user interface, but seems to have only 3 user-editable parameters per effect (M5/M9/M13 have 5, I would prefer 6 or 7). And the tape delay is not my style.

However, there are things to dislike about the M5:
    - the footswitch operation (two modes: Preset up/down -- Bypass and Tap -- kick both footswitches to change modes) is quite uncomfortable. I'm gonna get a DMC-3 MIDI controller from http://disasterareaamps.com to change presets on both my timeline and my M-5
    - it's great to have preset naming (as opposed to the M9 that I owned before); but it's the worst name editing implementation that I've ever used. And whats even worse: When you want to re-arrange the order of presets and you save a preset to another preset location, it will not keep it's name, but take the name of the new location ... complete nonsense IMHO
    - no MIDI thru option for the MIDI Out Jack
    - quite restricted MIDI implementation, no access to the 5 parameters per effect that you can control directly on the device
    - there's a heavy bug when you use Tap Tempo + Expression Pedal in the "Multi Head" delay model. Was already there in the M9, I reported it, still not fixed.

Still, I like that box :)

Here's the vids ... it's my old M9, but the M5 sounds exactly the same to my ears:

6. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

The G3 has a page function on each stomp box section, the multiple parameters are located throughout the pages, hit the page button, adjust the parameters with the knobs. I've seen 4 pages on some amp sims and multiple effects have up to three. The only time you only have a single page is when the effect only needs three, like an OD pedal.

7. harm.on.x

harm.on.x Member

Those videos show the differences and strengths/weaknesses of both units pretty well. Good job!

I wanted to add something regarding the G3. There is a filter delay effect in there. I use it quite a bit to get that dub vibe going. This way, I can always keep my tape echo effect more subtle (which is the way I prefer it) and use the filtered delay effect for some dub infused sound textures.

To the O.P.: If you already have the M5 why not just stick with it and make it work for you. I don't own it and I don't have an opinion on it but judging from what I saw on the videos posted above it should do the job.
    I own the G3. I use it as a tuner, delay, amp sim (or in front of the amp, depending on the situation) and I'm very happy with it. I think it's a great little box. If you don't need the amp sims the Line6 stuff seem good too.

8. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Thanks for the info, and sorry for misinterpreting the video demo :)

9. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

Thanks I am keeping the M5 - just wondering if the G3 is a good compliment to it on the same board.