Cheap chinese 12ax7 - bad tube drives?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Jackmout, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jackmout

Jackmout Member

My Ibanez TSA15H does not satisfy me. I dont like its tone, either cleans or drives. I is hard to crunch, because it is set at a low bias in order do have headroom... but when I can achieve it with a booster, I just dont like it very much.

Anyway, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uCbUjo7Tw0 , those are the stock tubes, 2 chinese 12AX7. Changing them will make a REAL difference??

THANKS AND KEEP ROCK AND ROLLING FOLKS!

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Be more specific about what you don't like, and what you would like to hear. Too tinny? Too dark? Too middy?

3. dazco

dazco Member

It's subjective, but personally i can't stand the new chinese tubes. (as opposed to the old ones everyone used in the 80's which i love) The new tung sol reissues are pretty much the most universally adored tube among current production. They are quite bright tho is thats an issue. The russian mullard reissues are real chewy and spongy feeling with a darker tone. But i really think most anything will be better than the chinese Ax7's. But like was said, you have to give some details about what you don't like about the tone as it is now. What u want to improve.

4. Jackmout

Jackmout Member

I cant be more objective than: I need more quality. Simple as that

5. zenas

zenas Member

Try some other tubes but you may find it's the amp your not digging.

6. Jackmout

Jackmout Member

I dread it!

When I listen to some Youtube demos of this amp the tone actually please me...

7. zenas

zenas Member

You may want to try other speakers after the tube swap. The wrong speaker can ruin a good sounding amp too.

8. ked

ked Supporting Member

If you want to try the Chinese tubes, get the 9th generation version. I think they are marked as 12ax7b. I like them in certain amps, don't know how they will sound in your particular amp.

Ken

9. Jackmout

Jackmout Member

I use a Eminence GB12... could that be it? Damn!